[1.1.0.2] Resource conveyor tanks run backwards

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Was playing around with conveyors and wanted to see if I could use resource conveyors as a sort of customizable Track.
Has no real control like the regular wheels but load it up with a resource, and deanchor.
note that it travels in the opposite direction of the Conveyors, and will tend to flip but it's silly to watch it run away.

Takes advantage of the interactions of the resources, the ground, and the conveyors.
LoadMeNdDeanchor.png

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hah! Actually, that's kinda interesting. @BenBacon made a resource conveyor tracked tank very similar to that, submitted here to community core in September 2017.

2019-05-10 benBacon res tank1.jpg

It used to work pretty much as expected - I tried it out myself. But this now also 'moonwalks'.

I think this must be due to changes (optimisations) with resource chunk physics, in the interim.

If I had to take a stab at explaining, I'd say there's (now) zero friction between resources and the ground. (Or there's no pull on conveyor blocks from the resources any more...?) So underneath they act purely to lubricate movement. And the only forces they exert are when they get stuck at the front of the tank track, trying to get underneath; they push against the front edge. Hence why your smaller tech flips so readily.

I've edited the thread title to be more descriptive, was previously "[1.1.0.2][steam/windows] Maybe not a bug, but still...". Hope this is OK. I don't think there's any reason to think this will be happening on PC only, etc.

Attachments

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Hah! Actually, that's kinda interesting. @BenBacon made a resource conveyor tracked tank very similar to that, submitted here to community core in September 2017.

View attachment 27171

It used to work pretty much as expected - I tried it out myself. But this now also 'moonwalks'.

I think this must be due to changes (optimisations) with resource chunk physics, in the interim.

If I had to take a stab at explaining, I'd say there's (now) zero friction between resources and the ground. (Or there's no pull on conveyor blocks from the resources any more...?) So underneath they act purely to lubricate movement. And the only forces they exert are when they get stuck at the front of the tank track, trying to get underneath; they push against the front edge. Hence why your smaller tech flips so readily.

I've edited the thread title to be more descriptive, was previously "[1.1.0.2][steam/windows] Maybe not a bug, but still...". Hope this is OK. I don't think there's any reason to think this will be happening on PC only, etc.
I'm pretty sure the backwards movement is due to high speed of the resources, but I could be wrong. However, it should at least be tried with different pacemaker speeds

Anyways, it's surprising to know this still works and that someone remembers :) (only if we could have the good old times back)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm pretty sure the backwards movement is due to high speed of the resources
Nah, see the beginning of my first video, above, I start your old tank off on normal speed and it slides backwards still. Fairly fast too, don't think it relates very strongly to the speed of the conveyors. Even on pause it will drift.