[1.1.0.1] Feedback - Gyroscope force changes (Venture gyro nerfed too much)

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I would love to see the formula in the code for how gyros work. I suspect that much of the problem has to do with the fact that the gyro formula has an angular term in it somewhere, thus making "cartesian" experiments difficult to interpret.

Website
www.youtube.com
the gyro maths has been way off like this the whole time, or at least since the GC gyro was in EXP
I was wrong about this, sorry @zanzistar, I lost track with all the twists and turns...

To clarify, in 1.1 (current stable) the GeoCorp torque was 54 blocks. About 257% stronger than it is now. The crazy strength was only in 1.1.0.2. But I'd still say this gyro could stand to go back up more towards where it was... (Matter of opinion.)

Hawkeye gyro got nerfed to half since 1.1, too. (But it's relatively new, so whatever.)

Venture isn't the same as 1.1, it actually got a 50% buff. (When I went back and used a more precise balance with counterbalanced bracket arms.) I'd request that this gets set back down to what it was in 1.1. (a) for continuity and (b) because there is value in having weaker-ish gyros. (As you were exploring.)

And Better Future's got a 100% buff (doubled). As I say this does stop my Tron bike from being able to roll, but whatever.

Here's an updated table, with the old values in too, for comparison:

Cropper2019-05-16-04-01-48-9820037.jpg

man, am I bored of this thread, lol.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Let's see how many times I'll have to redesign all my hovers because of this juggling back and forth since gyros are the only thing that can keep any hovertech of appreciable mass upright...

Now if only there was something that could somehow keep them moving forwards instead of listing and drifting to whichever non-obvious random direction they want to... but that's off topic for this thread.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Now if only there was something that could somehow keep them moving forwards
How do you mean? Adding an LME or HE rotor would enable continual (low level) thrust forwards. Although it massively screws up the resposiveness of that control axis, of course. Or hover-bug. Or using pitch trim gyros to bias tilt forwards...?

since gyros are the only thing that can keep any hovertech of appreciable mass upright...
You can also have the hover pads higher up than the tech's centre of mass, right? (Looses some clearance.) And if you mean, while on an air anchor, that can be raised up the tech too (but not too high, or it causes feedback oscillations).