[1.0] Game saves fail with remote documents folders

Discussion in 'TT Stable & Console Bugs' started by KingofBeast, Sep 5, 2018.

1. KingofBeast

KingofBeast Member

When the Windows user's documents folder is located on a network share (most commonly seen in domain environments that are set up that way), game save files are never created.

Folder structure is successfully created, and snapshots/announcements.bin are saved fine. It seems to be an issue only with game saves.

Game does not crash, it's just a silent fail.

I couldn't find any method to work around this issue. Symlinking "My Games" to a local folder doesn't work, presumably because the file path would still include the network share.

Manual saves and autosaves behave similarly to one another. 0% of saves were successful.

[​IMG]

Zed and AstraTheDragon like this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Good report @KingofBeast, thank you.

It seems like there's quite a few different issues causing failure to save files (aside from game bugs that cause save corruption). @Zed seems to be more up on this. But as a commonly reported issue, there's also:

(1) Anti-virus/anti-malware blocking changes to folders.
    (2) Windows write permissions set to read only.
    (3) Needing to run with admin privileges (not certain this is ever the actual issue, but suggested a lot).

e.g. on Steam forum: 1, 2.

#2 ZeroGravitas, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Zed likes this.
  3. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

"Symlinking" seems to be a linux-reference yet the screenshot suspiciously looks like windows; so I will presume this is a windows problem which I would approach in the following manner:

1) map the networked located to a drive letter explained here

once the mapped network location is a drive letter with full read / write permissions most likely a symbolic link will be required to "mimic" the /users/ folder. The process for which is mentioned here , here and detailed here along with here

Hopefully this information will be of help in ameliorating the issue @KingofBeast ; it bears noting that the .sav's generated are highly compressed internally, so any partition attempting to accept the save in this fashion should probably have a minimum of 5GB available space.

Edit #1:

upon further research since the drive in question will be a mapped networked location additional cmds will most likely be required per here and here

#3 Zed, Sep 6, 2018
  4. KingofBeast

KingofBeast Member

Apologies for the lingo, by symlinking I meant its functional equivalent in Windows, directory junctions. I was indeed on Windows.

And yes, I had ran all of those fsutil behavior changes beforehand as well. Those efforts were fruitless. The storage is on a 50tb NAS, so available space is not an issue either.

I haven't tried using a letter-mounted path for the documents folder (mostly because group policy prohibits me from changing the path at all and I didn't want to modify that sort of thing at my workplace for a game), but based on assumption alone I do feel like it would behave properly.

I'm going to maintain my bet that the issue is specifically around how the filepath is handled in code when writing .sav files alone, since all other disk io-related functions work properly. Perhaps the path isn't treated as a string literal and thus the double-backslashes throw it off.

#4 KingofBeast, Sep 6, 2018
    ZeroGravitas likes this.
  5. KingofBeast

KingofBeast Member

After a little more investigation I'm almost certain that's the issue. I found these in the game's logs:

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  6. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

@kae

No worries; with any luck the devs will enable saving to steam cloud since the savegames / profiles are now located within the /users/%username% modality in the near future.

Initially I had presumed this was within a local environment where you would have access to the group policies / be able to temporarily disable UAC (i.e. a 2U / 4U nas maintained within your own residence.) as opposed to a work environment.