[1.0][Console] Block Allowance issues and idiosyncrasies

So after playing again last night, it was the crafting stations that were causing the problem of hitting the block caps so quickly. I'm still getting close to them with just my vehicle a sentry gun and one small refining station, so that's definitely going restrict what I was hoping to be able to do crafting station wise long term.

As far as tech snapshots. Is it only possible to do snapshots of techs that have a cab on them? The only tech where I get an option to do a snapshot in the tech options menu, is on my vehicle. The option does not show up for other techs I've built.

The game is fantastic and fun. I have bought it on the PS4 last Wednesday. The block allowance though severely kills the enjoyment though. That and the disappearing Snapshots so one cannot even always save their techs confidently. I know you mean well by this feature but it takes away from the main selling point. Sometimes us developers try to solve a problem that really isn't a problem in the first place but then we stubbornly hold on to the 'solution' that we come up with because we think it is the only way.

A better suggestion would be to perhaps give players the option to turn it on and/or set their own limits. That way users get the freedom to choose which eliminates the frustration on both sides. Either way the 5000 limit is for sure a game killer. You got an amazing product that can be immensely successful on the PS4. I hope to one day have it on the PC when I can but you got gold on your hands. Don't kneecap it with a feature that nobody likes. I think giving people an option and giving them a setting to adjust would fix this personally.

That and fixing the snapshot panel so it loads all of them at once always and maybe possibly allow people to switch techs on some kind of hot key system. So they can save their favorites and then cycle through them.

Either way, usually problems have more than one way of being solved. The forced block allowance cannot be the best one you got. Good luck with the game! Everything else is fantastic.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
possibly allow people to switch techs on some kind of hot key system.
Tech "hot swapping" is actually an immediate development priority in their plans. So there's that.:)

But removing the block allowance is just not on the cards. It might be raised in places. And you might be able to think up tweaks to how it works, and suggest them (e.g. in suggestions section). But being able to just disable it, there'd be no point in having it.

fixing the snapshot panel so it loads all of them at once always
Have you seen this problem described in another bug report already? Are the devs definitely onto it? (Chime in on the relevant thread if you haven't already, by all means. To give them help.):)

Django

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
The game is fantastic and fun. I have bought it on the PS4 last Wednesday. The block allowance though severely kills the enjoyment though.
Great to hear you're enjoying the game!
I completely understand your frustration with the block limit - if we could have done without it we would have. Console games offer a set of 'guarantees' to the player to improve their experience. Things like "the game is stable", "saving is handled correctly" and "the game runs at reasonable fps". Occasionally these situations can still happen, but we have to do our best to prevent them. One such area is responsiveness (ie minimum fps).
Simply put, each tech (and block) creates a certain cost on the cpu. If there are enough in the world it will start adversely affecting the framerate, ultimately making the game unplayable. PC can get around this by having wildly different specs and not offering the same guarantees. It's widely accepted that if a game doesn't run smoothly, clearly your pc specs don't meet the requirements and you need to upgrade - something you cannot do with a console.

We're actively looking to loosen the block limit, both through ongoing performance optimisations as well as fine-tuning where costs are allocated.
The limit will go up, given time, though completely turning it off is unlikely to ever be an option on console.

Have you seen this problem described in another bug report already? Are the devs definitely onto it? (Chime in on the relevant thread if you haven't already, by all means. To give them help.):)
We are aware of it, and it's a major issue we're looking fix before our next PS4 patch. :)

Okay so if you cannot get rid of the block allowance for whatever reason what about a type of alter universe that can travel through via some kind of SCU device that you can send parts to that has a significantly increased allowance due to being a bareboned area? Similar to like a personal garage. That way you can in that 'universe' not load up so many assets and give players a way to have their factories. Then you can snapshot those 'universes'. Just a thought.

Also to the snapshot problem; I just posted a moment ago a potential clue. I am just repeating here for visibility. But it seems to be a cache issue. Where when you load up from a cold PS4 it loads up from the physical location when there is no cache but then loads up from the cache which only stores the current session of the user. Like if I create 3 techs then those 3 techs are loaded fine every time I load up the game but no the primary location. Something like if there is a cache the game loads from there else it loads from the physical drive. This seems to be a common between all the inventories (snapshot, inventory area).

Anyways, good luck! Don't have too much fun fixing bugs. I hope the above helps.

So, I was thinking about the snapshot loading issue. I cannot find the official thread of this bug; so if the moderator could/wants to move it there cool.

So, how this bug would happen for me could be easily like the following, which may give you hopefully some insight. I can only speak on how I code but...

Normally, I code a helper method like loadItems(string itemType) that I can call from various other areas of the program such as what I could imagine you do which is why you are having the same problems in snapshot loading and inventory. I can imagine that these two systems are calling the same methods for saving and loading.

Then in both the saving and loading methods there is a try catch. It first tries to save it to the cache and if it fails then it saves it to they physical part. And then the loading happens the same way: loads from the catch and failing that loads from the physical. I can reload all my snapshots and inventory when I clear out the PS4 cache: which is by turning it off for about a minute (completely and not in rest mode) for about 30 seconds (this is a temporary fix for the loading error).

The other issue is that when it saves that it creates two files, which indicates to me that the method for saving is being called twice. I would expect perhaps the loading method is being called twice too. That could happen from a timer or thread. Seems to be centralized though since it effects both the inventory and snapshots. So whatever those two have in common when loading and saving is where the problem is.

Some food for thought on this issue. Good luck!

And on the block allowance thing. I was wrong. Even if you boost it up to 6000 then new players would want 7000 and so forth. So it would be a never ending cycle. Whatever it has/can be is what it is. Plus it adds a bit of a challenge to be in range. Just perhaps think about removing the progression block allowance part. People who play these sandbox games got too much imagination and you hit the glass ceiling of that progression system too fast in the early game. I know it's meant to be a progression fun thing but it takes away from the game which is fun already. You don't need to induce artificial systems too "make it more fun". We make our own goals and that's really the main key of these games is people like setting their own goals not have the goals set for them.

So good luck! Last post from me on the block allowance. If you need help with any bugs sometimes it helps to have a clean perspective on it and I am glad to help if I can! Otherwise keep up the great work cause you definitely are developing a great game.

Cheers StanKnight!
I'll forward this on to our coders to see if it helps find the issue :)
Maybe also one more thing.... Copy/paste error. That would explain why it is saving two copies on the physical drive because one of them is suppose to be saving to the cache :D.

save(tophysical, items);
save(tophysical, items); // Suppose to be cache but forgot to change this when pasting the line from above.

That I bet is the culprit. And the loading method is doing it's job but the cache save is the duplicate on the physical! I have a funny odd sense that this is very well it. This is a very common thing we all do too. Please forward this too.

YolDovah

Ok 1st let me state that i'm new like literally just downloaded the game on saturday and just created this account for the purpose of talking about the BA and i've read some of the replies but not all of them so forgive me if what i say as already been covered.

First of all the game is good a little annoying at times specifically the cost of respawning previous created machines after you have been destroyed with it constantly saying i've got missing tech even for the craft i just saved i don't have any screenshots yet but i'll try to remember to take some later.

That said my current issue is the block count for certain items like each 3 pound cannon costing 20 i do believe and i have about 20 and not even those are enough to keep me alive against some of the bigger machines i'm coming across. My only saving grace is i'm fast except for when i'm dragging 20 or so loose blocks behind me by way of the big magnet orbs.

Although i have now started using the anchor blocks to add as many blocks as possible then sending them to my inventory and then doing the same thing so i don't have to drag as many blocks behind me. Speaking off it would be nice if i could filter out the blocks it picks up so i'm only getting what i want and need versus everything including the junk i don't care about.

There's a strange glitch affiliated with the Block Limit. If you get the pop-up and say no to deleting something, the block you were going to place just deletes itself. Just, poof, gone. I've lost a GeoCorp SCU and even a Venture Payload Terminal to this glitch.
The apple does not fall far from the tree, as this glitch and the block limit have the same amount of hate from me.

Son of a glitch-