[1.0] Attaching blocks is very slow on larger designs

Discussion in 'TT Stable & Console Bugs' started by cipher, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cipher

cipher Member

It seems larger designs have issues with the refresh of attach points whenever a new block is added.

Reproduction:
    1. Build a larger design (vehicle, mounted base, whatever). Examples: 40 x 40 base with a good number of blocks. It is also possible to reproduce this with a design that has reached the 64 limit on one dimension, regardless of number of blocks overall.
    2. Keep attaching additional blocks.
    3. Note that the refresh of attach points gets slower and slower as more blocks are added. When you drag a new block onto a design, the points appear not all at once, consecutively from one point or origin, which looks like a big wave of attach points. For very large structures such as 64 x 64, this delay can take 10 or 15 seconds on my computer.
    My computer is no slouch either, with an i7 6700K CPU and GTX 1080 GPU. My system...

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula motherboard
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU
    Core i7 6700K 4GHz CPU
    32GB DDR4-3000 memory
    3x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

BenBacon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Also a well known issue. No idea if there's optimisation to be had... Thanks for the feedback.:)

3. cipher

cipher Member

Thanks, didn't know how well known. No bug reports I found for it on a simple search, so I submitted anyways. :)

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

The problem is that many of the older bugs have either been around for so long people don't know if they're even considered bugs or have been reported in other manners than here on the forums. And I know that some of my own early bug reports no longer exist because when I go to the links I have saved in my browser the thread cannot be found.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an off the shelf bug tracking web application... :/

5. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

Uhm... I think that is the optimization... kind of. I suspect each of those attachment points is their own Unity object with its own renderable object that is the colorful cross thing. Because you don't keep them around when not building since they are a useless distraction in any other context and there are hundreds of those little buggers around. 40x40 flat base is already 1600 of them just for the topside and you probably have to double that for the bottom side. So you can have the incremental appearance of the points or you can have the game freeze completely for, say, half a second while bringing up the attachment points. I actually prefer the former. It sounds there's a limit of something like 100 points created per frame or along those lines.

Optimizations can be done but this seems like a pretty low priority item on the whole big to do list and usually there is a compromise between memory and performance involved anyway.

AstraTheDragon likes this.
  6. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

On very large structures I generally angle the camera so that I can see as little of the overall structure as possible. This helps quite a bit. Another method I have used (mostly for large anchored structures or techs with fairly low ground clearance) is to make a small drive-able tech and use that to keep the camera zoomed in on the part I'm working on. A really good "optimisation" would be to allow PoV re-positioning outside of the build beam (which I find laggy on it's own).

7. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

This!
    Just rotate camera so you can't see big part of tech and refresh will be much faster. Zoom in also works sometimes on semi huge techs. And use right click to center to selected building area of your tech so you can zoom in closely.