[1.0.3] Bf solar panels, despite being bigger and more expensive, make less power than 2 GSO solar panels

Mindlessmrawesome

Read the title.

3 people on discord told me this and I decided to make a bug report. @Seth_Seth @HeX @QuackDuck all say this is true.

Now lemme tell you this: Better future solar panels are more expensive and can't anchor. The equivalent amount of GSO solar panels should make less power than them. Even the textures say the bf solar panels should make more, the BF solar panels have WAY more surface area of solar than the equivalent GSO solars.

Pls fix thx bye

HeX

What Am I?
Woah I'm tagged. Also, this could mainly be seen in Tenzen Gaming's block and weapon testing video:

Mindlessmrawesome

THIS PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS IN THE LATEST UNSTABLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm beginning to think this might have actually been a design choice as opposed to a bug, since the devs haven't done anything about it.

But just to prove it still exists in 1.1.0.2, here's a pic:
screen698.png
I attached the BF battery to the BF solar panels FIRST and it still only made it to 50% while the GSOs that take up the same space are at 100%

Mindlessmrawesome

@kae was this on purpose? because if it is I'll ask ZeroG to move it to suggestions but it really does seem like this is just an innocent mistake that you guys have made.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Considering that you need to actually need pay for the license, and the first two BF tech (which are not very Good techs to be gin with. :p )
Would it really surprise you that some of the BF Blocks are Over priced, and possibly Sub-prime when compared to their Competitors Proven Stock?

Especially when the Vendor bot Sounds like a mix old "RonCo" Demo Shows, and Some of the Cheesier Televangelists (Operator's are standing by!)

Well, to me at least.

Mindlessmrawesome

Considering that you need to actually need pay for the license, and the first two BF tech (which are not very Good techs to be gin with. :p )
Would it really surprise you that some of the BF Blocks are Over priced, and possibly Sub-prime when compared to their Competitors Proven Stock?

Especially when the Vendor bot Sounds like a mix old "RonCo" Demo Shows, and Some of the Cheesier Televangelists (Operator's are standing by!)

Well, to me at least.
Problem isn't that it doesn't fit with the lore, problem is that the bf solar panels are kinda useless atm because why use them when you can use gso solar panels instead? They're cheaper, better, can anchor, and can be purchased early on. Logically you'd be stupid to not use GSO solar panels. The only reason you might ever use the bf solar panels atm is if you're going for aesthetics. (Or trust that the devs are going to fix them)

Mindlessmrawesome

Here's what I think the bf solar panels should be:
So the current space that the bf solar panels take up is 2x5. Gso solars are 1x4. If you have two bf solars, that would be 2 (2×5) = 20. If you have five gso solars that would be 5 (1×4) = 20. So if you were to make 2 bf solars and 5 gso solars make the same amount if power, the bf solar panel would have to make 2.5× the power of 1 gso.

...BUT

A lot of techs don't have the luxury of having enough internal volume to store their solar panels. A lot of them have to plonk them on the surface and have them stick out of their techs. If you're just covering a surface with solars as opposed to making a brick of power generation, you don't need to care about the height of the solar panels, only their width.
So... bf solar panels are 2 wide, gso panels are 1 wide. Therefore 1 bf solar panel, if it had the equal power generation as 2 gso solar panels and you were only placing them on the surface of a tech, would only have to be 2x as powerful as one gso panel.

So you have a choice of either making them 2.5x or 2x as good as a gso to make even compare to the gso.

... I have a better idea.

What if you were to make them 2.25 times as good as a GSO solar? That would make them better than GSO when you use them on the surface of a tech, but wouldn't make gso panels completely redundant technology because volumetrically gso would be better.