[1.0.3.4 ] Techs become un-interactable (including current tech) (no radial menu, can't build)

Zorgomol

Not a Number
So here goes. After driving around and doing stuff a while several or all the techs around become un-interactable. This seems to be happening block-by-block basis and seems to happen all the faster the longer I keep playing. It only shows the faction indicator on top of the tech and that is all. There's no cursor change on the affected blocks, they cannot be interacted with, even if a block falls off due to collision damage then the detached block cannot be picked up and reattached, likewise all fabs and filters and such are completely oblivious to player wishes. Occasionally at some points you can get lucky and catch a spot where the game recognizes that there's a tech under the cursor but so far I haven't been able to figure out if there is a pattern.

This seems to be only affecting the mouse, the current tech does respond to keyboard controls just fine. I'm wondering if, at over 50 kilounits away from the center, I have reached the edge of reality and mathematics start to break down in unpredictable ways...

Restarting the game entirely seems to bring the techs back to normal for a while but after an hour the glitch manifests again.

Save attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

burger1113

This happened to me a while back and got fixed by an update somewhere along the way.
I saw it again today as well, though.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey Zorgomol, this is actually an engine issue with Unity, we've reported it to them to investigate, but unfortunately I can't give you an estimate on when they'll get it done :(

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Recovering from this problem is relatively "simple" : get rid of as many clickable world objects as you can. This includes techs, loose blocks and resources, both on ground and in silos/receivers/whatnot. Even rocks and trees in the vicinity, as long as you get rid of any mined resource chunks as well. Swap your existing tech to a simpler one with fewer blocks since each block and possibly even every free attachment point count.

Also anything in the world can become "invisible" to raycasts due to this bug, even the landscape, making wheels and hovers and everything else that relies on raycasts stop working. Rigid body collisions are however unaffected.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Recovering from this problem is relatively "simple" : get rid of as many clickable world objects as you can.
Except if you literally can't interact with any of your techs sufficiently to do any of that...? I don't know for sure, but it sounded kinda hopeless for the player in the steam thread linked above:
Well, although a good idea on paper, since my computer isn't the best thing ever, when I log in to any world, I get excruciating lag (fewer than 7 fps) and long story short, getting a sustained GUI interaction with any block at 7 fps isn't fun.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey guys, we've put in some code to work around this problem, but it seems the issue has not gone away for some players. Can anyone still getting this issue upload some fresh save games with the issue present please?

Thanks!

Sakata-MC

I'm also now having this issue. Hasn't happened until today, but I tried to deploy a 4-miner, used build menu to move it to correct location, tried to switch back to my modded version of ZG's new quad-copter (BTW I love that thing!) aaaaaand... can't switch techs. I reloaded and managed to switch once, then tried to place a tech and make a quick and dirty ore block-maker, and couldn't switch back off of that either. I can open menus and stuff. I noted that once I loaded a new tech in, and for a split second I could click on it but then the radial went away.

Here are a few saves.

Attachments

0xFADE

Here is the save I mentioned on steam. Only able to select blocks in a thin band along the horizon. I had returned to an older base to tear it down meaning i've got other buildings much farther away.

Attachments

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for the saves guys, the investigation for this bug is still ongoing and hopefully we can get another fix in for it soon, but for the time being, moving away from the affected zone will allow you to select items again.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
moving away from the affected zone will allow you to select items again.
OK, so I've just had what seems like this same bug, in my main playthrough save in 1.2.0.1. But there're some differences in what I'm observing.

17MB log file and both save games attached.

(1) It happens reliably with this save with only a single tech, modest sized tech (my mobile crafter).

(2) The exact same tech in a different save, with a whole bunch more techs around it, at least doubling the block count, or so, does not cause the problem.

(3) Driving away and swapping techs doesn't help, issue remains.

(4) Issue persists when loading to a non-bugged save (shown above). Requiring full restart of game. (There were a few blocks I could interrat with - loose blocks suspending in the scrappers and resource chunks.)

(5) Hover-bug was also acting strangely on my tron bike, like the wheels weren't being reliably detected by the hover pads.

(6) Swap/deploy tech loading works, as does placing a cab from inventory and I could switch to these new techs, but not back again, only to newly spawned techs.

If it's related to total number of unity entities, I wonder if pillars biome is a trigger for this...? Also wondered if having a trading station in range might be contributing...? (I'd just fired up the game to test another bug report with them.)

Attachments

Magoo

I've the same issue. I don't know if you want more saves or not, I've attached my faulty one just in case.

When i move away as kae suggests my blocks become selectable again, it appears to be a small hysteresis as i can move a little way back towards my base before the blocks become unselectable again.

Looking forwards to a fix to this (an edit to the save file) or at least info on the cause so it can be avoided (if possible) as obviously i'd be keen to continue building and modifying my base :)

thanks.

Attachments

Yep.
I have this issue, as in video by Zero Gravitas.
Except with one addition, any and all locomotion stops working in the proximity to my base.
Sad part is, there's a large bit of material i wnted to work into missiles and now cant, since i cant scrap last component batch :/