[1.0.2] Broken wheels that won't unbrokify

Have you ever had the same problem?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mindlessmrawesome

The game IS SLIGHTLY MODDED but that isn't the issue. In fact, just to test, I went into a normal creative mode world and I had the same problem, also other people have had this issue who have never even installed the ttqmm.

Ok so as I am making my game inside of terratech, I began to notice something.

Wheels of all types were randomly deciding to give up on interacting with the ground!
It happened with these wheels, venture wheels, GSO wheels, hawkeye wheels, it hasn't happened with tracks yet but it might!
It seems to always occur after you save then load a world.
Sometimes taking the wheel off and dropping it on the ground will fix it, but most times it won't. And it happens completely randomly.
I tried replacing the front wheel with a different type of wheel...

...didn't work.

I tried spawning in a whole other bike...

...now it's the back wheel!
Is there like some sort of limit of how many wheels can touch the ground or something that I'm going over? I wouldn't think so but whatever it is it's REALLY ANNOYING.
I'll attach a file of the save so you guys can play around with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_Seth

Confused Leader
Website
sites.google.com
The game IS SLIGHTLY MODDED but that isn't the issue. In fact, just to test, I went into a normal creative mode world and I had the same problem.

Ok so as I am making my game inside of terratech, I began to notice something.

Wheels of all types were randomly deciding to give up on interacting with the ground!
It happened with these wheels, venture wheels, GSO wheels, hawkeye wheels, it hasn't happened with tracks yet but it might!
It seems to always occur after you save then load a world.
Sometimes taking the wheel off and dropping it on the ground will fix it, but most times it won't. And it happens completely randomly.
I tried replacing the front wheel with a different type of wheel...

...didn't work.

I tried spawning in a whole other bike...

...now it's the back wheel!
Is there like some sort of limit of how many wheels can touch the ground or something that I'm going over? I wouldn't think so but whatever it is it's REALLY ANNOYING.
I'll attach a file of the save so you guys can play around with it.
The game does not compute

Mindlessmrawesome

So here's what I know about this bug:
It seems to be a problem with a certain attachment point of a specific block (like the bf 1-block slope) when put onto a bugged tech. It's the weirdest thing I've seen. On one tech I can place as many bf 1-block slopes as I want and no wheels attached to them become bugged, but on another this one AP will hate to exist.
The attachment point when placed onto an infected tech, which infects all wheels put onto it to become bugged. If you put an infected wheel onto a non-bugged AP it won't spread the infection but will still be bugged. Infected wheels randomly decide to not be infected anymore when they're moved around onto other techs and onto the ground.
If you save a bugged tech the bug will carry through the snapshot unless you fix it by one of the following:
If you removed all the blocks that the bugged tech doesn't like from the tech then save it, the tech will become unbugged and no longer hate that block when you load it in.
If you exit the game without the bugged tech existing in the world, then re-enter the game, the bugged tech will no longer be bugged (at least by that specific block anymore, it might hate a new block this time).

Legionite

Wants to play modded Campaign MP
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
I find that this issue most commonly appears when the BF landing gear is extended and retracted at least once in a save.

Sometimes the BF landing gear is retracted upon saving high in the sky, and upon loading, is extended.

I believe that the game gets confused on what landing gear is extended and assumes that a random wheel's state is "retracted".

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
If you save a bugged tech the bug will carry through the snapshot unless you fix it by one of the following:
Heya, can you provide a snapshot where the wheel is bugged please?

I've checked out the save game provided on your first post, but none of the techs spawned seemed to be effected by this issue.
We've had previous reports of this in the past, do you remember anything you did with the tech before this bug triggered on it that might be related?

Cheers

Simon

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Yeah, I also can't reproduce using that save so a snapshot would be handy.

I've just fixed this issue pointed out by Legionite though:
>> Sometimes the BF landing gear is retracted upon saving high in the sky, and upon loading, is extended.

Thanks,
Si

Mindlessmrawesome

Atm I'm blockaded from my computer by my parents until I finish my online history course, but once I can get back on I'll give you the snapshots where this big occurs the most. Maybe I'll record a video of me messing around with my tech until I get the bug just to effectively retrace my steps.

Mindlessmrawesome

I just remembered another bug that I found and forgot to report ...
When you make a tech an enemy tech with a bf laser minigun on it, the AI behavior that makes guns only shoot when they're aiming at an enemy makes the bf minigun almost never fire. This is because they'll only fire originally when the gun is pointed towards an enemy, but if the enemy manages to slip out of the miniguns firing angle then the enemy AI will stop firing, which will retract the minigun and make it only fire again once something gets in front of it.
Now I have only tested this in modded but I have a high suspicion this is a vanilla bug. Can someone maybe verify this for me (as I previously mentioned I can't access my computer atm)? Looks at legionite

Just make an enemy tech in r&d with the only weapon being a better future minigun and see if it fires at you from any odd angle.

Simon

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I don't think that's a bug. I can reproduce the behaviour you describe but the BF Gatling Laser purposely has a +/-90 degree aiming limit so I think it's working as designed.

Mindlessmrawesome

No not the aiming limit, I know that is purposeful. But since the gun retracts when the tech stops firing, it will make the gun not aim at the enemy when you stop pressing space. Since AIs only fire when their guns are pointing at the enemy, this makes it so the enemies don't fire until something gets in front of their minigun which makes them fire and deploy the gun, which will only keep firing as long as the gun tracking is fast enough to keep up with the target. Once the target outpaces the bfminigun turning, the AI will stop firing that gun, but it will make the bf minigun retract and not fire again until it's target once again gets in front of the gun. It's a bug with the AI controlling the gun is what I'm saying.
It isn't going to impact the game until you guys add bf techs to the enemy population (except for the people who want to fight techs using the bf minigun in r&d like me), but the less bugs the better amirite

Mindlessmrawesome

Here's a picture that I took a while ago demonstrating the problem

See, the bf minigun on the light tank should have shredded my little dude a long time ago, but the AI wont fire it because it's not aiming at me because the AI won't fire it.
You see the problem?
Eventually the tank managed to turn and then the bf minigun pointed at me so the AI started shooting and the gun started aiming, and after that I was quickly reduced into a pile of armor plates.
Again, I've only tried this in modded and I'm pretty sure this is a vanilla bug (it makes sense based on how the AI fires it's guns) but for the sake of being sure can someone test this in r&d?

Mindlessmrawesome

I'm not making its own thread for it until someone' makes sure its a vanilla bug, but rn this thread isn't doing anything so might as well contribute what I can

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
See, the bf minigun on the light tank should have shredded my little dude a long time ago, but the AI wont fire it because it's not aiming at me because the AI won't fire it.
You see the problem?
Eventually the tank managed to turn and then the bf minigun pointed at me so the AI started shooting and the gun started aiming, and after that I was quickly reduced into a pile of armor plates.
Again, I've only tried this in modded and I'm pretty sure this is a vanilla bug (it makes sense based on how the AI fires it's guns) but for the sake of being sure can someone test this in r&d?
Please don't be dissuaded to make new bug reports because of modded versions of the game, it's really not as huge of a deal it became, if it's easily testable for us we can find time to squeeze in testing something that would only take us 5-10 minutes to reproduce. The difficult part of testing modded reports is when the issue is already quite hard to reproduce, having mods enabled adds another layer for us to test, potentially wasting time testing/debugging a non issue.

I'm not familiar with Whitepaws mod manager, but if its easy to disable the mods or remove them temporarily and then quickly checking the issue would simplify things on our side a whole bunch as well, we've been having internal discussions about modding recently and official mod support is definitely on the table for things we'd like to do, when that happens it should be much easier for everyone to report bugs on modded games :)

Now to prevent this thread from being sidetracked I'm going to get back to the bug part.

So the 2nd issue reported on this thread about the BF Gatling Laser, I think Si misunderstood what you were saying, I've been able to reproduce that one and I've logged it for the coders to look at :p

Cheers!