[1.0.1][PC] Unity causing BSOD only in TerraTech

Discussion in 'TT Stable & Console Bugs' started by jpchilensky, Nov 2, 2018.

1. jpchilensky

jpchilensky Member

I started playing TerraTech again after a year or so away. Every time I play I get a BDOD. Sometimes it's within 10 minutes, sometimes hours. I've been trying to track down the culprit and here is what I've tested so far.

1. Just prior to reinstalling TerraTech my video card updated. I rolled back to an older version of the driver and the problem persists.

2. I checked the case for dust and gave everything a healthy breath of canned air.

3. I verified the game files via Steam

4. I used Speccy to keep an eye on the temp sensors and all looks normal

5. I've enabled the full memory dumps and have viewed the contents with Who Crashed. This is what I found:

On Sat 10/27/2018 8:26:35 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: unityplayer.sys (UnityPlayer+0x39D30F)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC002E786C028, 0xB60AC000, 0x135)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: unityplayer.sys .
    Google query: unityplayer.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

As instructed by Who Crashed I googled "unityplayer.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and found nothing. I'm currently downloading Unity itself, but I don't expect this to help. ----Update: It did not help

I'm running a relatively fresh install (~7 months old) of Windows 10 on a machine with these stats:

Phenom II X6 1090T
    Radeon 550 4gb
    8gb RAM
    OS on an 850 Evo
    Steam on a Seagate 1tb drive. Both drives have good S.M.A.R.T. status

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hiya, downloading Unity will not help correct this issue.

As the blue screen says, a 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is a hardware issue.

Please check that your computer has been correctly assembled and make sure there is not an abundance of dust build up. If you are overclocking, make 100% sure you have it correctly set up, generally bad overclock settings cause overheating, which can cause BSODs (not in your case if you are using Speccy to monitor your temps), but they can also cause power fluctuations also cause BSODs.

As this is most likely a hardware issue I don't believe there is much more we can assist you with.

Hope this helps, cheers.

AstraTheDragon and Galrex like this.
  3. jpchilensky

jpchilensky Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think downloading Unity would, but the crash dump suggested I update the driver and I couldn't find any way to do that. I'm grasping for straws here, haha. Most of what I read suggested the issue was temperature related too. I dusted the case with canned air thoroughly even though it didn't look particularly dusty and I ran a torture test on Prime95 and the CPU temps stayed steady. I don't have this overclocked. I have 3DMark on Steam and I'm currently downloading that to monitor the temps while the benchmarks run. This system has been stable for months and I do a lot of gaming, not to mention I played TerraTech extensively on this system in the past. I'm not an expert, but I feel like it this were solely a hardware issue it would have happened with the other games I've played or during the stress testing.

I'll keep this thread updated and if anyone has any ideas I'll give them a try. I really want to play TerraTech!

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

No problem :)

Hardware can fail and BSODs can appear due to overuse and just general wear and tear too, so sometimes without changing anything at all in your computer, these can appear. One of the most common cause of these issues are tied to RAM, you can try using the CHKDSK command in windows and the memory diagnostics tool* to see if there any issues found or alternatively if you have multiple sticks installed, it might be worth taking a stick out and checking if it crashes with each one separately. If you have some spare RAM, you can try and exchange the stick and then see if it BSODs too.

That being said, there is a very very low chance that it is a driver issue, we would need to investigate the memory dump created to investigate this issue further.

* To run these tools
    Open windows start bar
    Type 'CHKDSK' and then open the 'Run command'

---Memory Diagnostics

Type 'Windows Memory Diagnostics' and then open the 'Run command'

ZeroGravitas and AstraTheDragon like this.
  5. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

another thought is the old RAM & video card contacts oxidising,
    to remove the layer of oxide (if you are game)
    1get a white soft plastic pencil eraser,
    2 shut the computer down,
    3 open the case,
    4 pull the video card and ram out,
    5 then using the eraser, 'erase' the 'gold' connectors on the video card and ram (if you do one part of the connector at a time you could see the difference between the 'erased' and non-erased parts of the connector ( the duller looking parts of the connector have the layer of oxide, and the brighter are cleaned(usually),
    6 then re-install the ram and video card,
    7 power up the computer and try terratech again

6. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

7. jpchilensky

jpchilensky Member

I'm back, with updates!

• Ran CHKDSK: no issues
    • Ran the memory diagnostic: no issues. A friend suggested I use the memory diagnostic on Hirens, so I will try that when I have time.
    • I pulled one of the two sticks of RAM, tested it and got a BSOD.
    • I pulled the other stick and replaced the first one I removed in the correct slot according to the motherboard manual. Tested and got a BSOD
    • I ran 3dMark's Firestrike benchmark and watched the temps on Speccy. They did not move beyond normal levels and it never gave a BSOD.
    • I replaced the video card with an older model I had from before I upgraded this machine. It still works, but it's pretty dated (Radeon 7750). I tested Terra Tech and within a few minutes I got a BSOD.
    • As suggested, I purchased a white pencil eraser and tried cleaning the contacts on the video card and the RAM for good measure. It didn't appear corroded, the contacts were shiny and unblemished.
    I'm still getting a BSOD with TerraTech, but no other games. I've been playing a little bit of The Flame in the Flood and Sniper Elite 4, but neither of them have caused any BSODs.

8. harpo99999

assuming you have a wet terratech, have you tried a verify local files?

9. jpchilensky

jpchilensky Member

I don't know what "wet" means in this context, butI have verified the files via Steam. I did it once, then deleted "unityplayer.dll" and verified again. Steam replaced the file and the blue screens persist.

10. harpo99999

frustrating for you, unfortunately it is now down to software interactions causing the issues, i.e. what software is starting up with the computer?