[1.0.1] My game is completely broken

Discussion in 'TT Stable & Console Bugs' started by Kestrel, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Kestrel

Kestrel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't upload any savegame files - I deleted both the autosave and the manual one I had since they weren't working anymore. The problem occured yesterday, when I failed a mission and got destroyed, there were alot of parts lying around and couple of enemies still standing on the map, but that's just details that probably has nothing common with the issue - I respawned back in standard grade 4 GSO, and after that my game broke beyond any repair I tried to perform upon it. After that respawn it takes couple of minutes for the game to crash, no matter what I did and I tried alot, starting from lowering graphics, quickly getting rid of enemies\parts lying around\simply waiting on one place\reinstalling the game, deleting the savegame folder, using CCleaner to wipe some registry mistakes, restarted my router, pat my cat, made some tea, etc. etc. ...After I got mad and wiped my progress completely, thinking I could just start from scratch again (no big deal, I only had every faction on grade 4, playing for like 30h on this run *tries its best to not be salty and angry*) the game descided I had enough of fun and now it crashes everytime it tries to autosave or if I save it manually - so basically, everytime I start a new game and finish assembling my basic vehicle. Here what it says right before the crash report window: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569012700

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  2. Kestrel

(Salt intensive, read at own risk)

P.S. - I can't even create another profile, it says the name's already taken, no matter what I type in (like 12jhough19yhr98hl for example), neither I can change the graphics settings in game options for the same reason linked above on the screenshot. It feels like I'm still playing some early unstable EA builds for some reason, or trying to play them, at least. This was like my 8th attempt to finish the game from start to end and every time something like this happens, that prevents me from advancing further, but this time? Oh, this time the game made sure I'll have no further attempts at this. I mean, I do have patience, but this is as far as it can go - I can understand all the crashes and bugs when it was still Early access, but putting time in last 3 attempts on already released game and encountering simmilar stuff again? Boy.

#2 Kestrel, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    ZeroGravitas likes this.
  3. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Looks like the game is having trouble saving your user profile, this is usually for file access reasons on the folder we're trying to save to. Have you followed the troubleshooting steps on the website it links to? If you click the link it should take you straight there. It should run you through some steps for checking anti virus and folder permissions. As a last resort if you copy your My Games/Terratech/ folder and back it up somewhere and delete it completely does it then work? If that doesn't work drop a post here and I'll try and get you back up and running again. Also if you haven't already actually submitting the crash reports helps us a lot.

Galrex likes this.
  4. Kestrel

I've submitted a crash report through the ingame window when it first happened, thinking it was something funny because there were no apparent reason for that window to pop up so suddenly, I included email along with description of what I was doing when this happened. I took a glance on the troubleshoot page and didn't find anything related to this problem (but perhaps I missed it, who knows - I've read every entry on that page). As for the Terratech folder option I did everything I possibly could: back it up, run the game again w\o the folder, tried clean installation, tried disabling steam cloud and overlay, delete the folder completely and CClean the registry and many other things. Can't remember 'em all, sorry.

Folder permissions seems legit, but the game is installed on system disk, every other game runs, saves and performs perfectly normal, no matter if it's an EA or complete one, though I gotta admit - I haven't tried launching the game with admin permissions or something. But then again - I had no reason to do so before, the game was running perfectly fine.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  5. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Well, thank you for coming to the main forum, anyway. Did you delete your Steam discussion thread?

Just to be totally clear, you're running Windows 10? And you definitely deleted everything in this folder at least once?:
    Code:
    C:\Users\[Windows_User]\Documents\My Games\TerraTech\[Long Steam Number]
    You could also upload your "output_log.txt" and/or crash folders from:
    Code:
    C:\Users\[Windows_User]\AppData\LocalLow\Payload\TerraTech
    to this thread. (Beware the 1MB upload limit.)

Do you definitely have no anti-virus/malware protection software? (That could be tried disabled?)

I've added "[1.0.1]" to the thread title, for reference.

Django likes this.
  6. Kestrel

I'm running Win10, most certainly deleted everything in the folder (even tried deleting the folder itself)

Output log, on the other hand, made some stuff clear, despite some new questions.

[ManSaveGame] Trying to save object, filename = SaveData, path = C:/Users/Admin/Documents/My Games/TerraTech/76561198024179403/Saves/UserData.sav

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

ERROR in ManSaveGame.SaveObject: Could not find a part of the path "D:\TMP\w05bi75j.xao.tmp".

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Failed to save user profile to: C:/Users/Admin/Documents/My Games/TerraTech/76561198024179403/Saves/UserData.sav

[ManSaveGame] Trying to save object, filename = SaveData, path = C:/Users/Admin/Documents/My Games/TerraTech/76561198024179403/Saves/UserData.sav

ERROR in ManSaveGame.SaveObject: Could not find a part of the path "D:\TMP\j3vpl7tr.3cw.tmp".

Failed to save user profile to: C:/Users/Admin/Documents/My Games/TerraTech/76561198024179403/Saves/UserData.sav

---

It looks like it wants to access disk D for some reason, wich I don't have for like a week or so.
    (Basically I merged it with C for ergonomic and speed purposes, using software for partition override), but I was playing the game for this whole time, I don't see the reason why it would spontaneously crash like this just yesterday. Any solutions?

P.S. - I use HDD WD Blue 1TB 7600rpm just in case and no, I won't bring back "The D"

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Interesting... I'm not going to pretend to know what's going on there. But was Steam (or any of it's games) previously installed on your old D drive? Or in a non-standard location? Or your Windows documents folder, for that matter? Or have you used any symbolic links for any of that?

I'm assuming that you are logged into your admin account? Is that the only Windows user account...?

It might be handy to upload your whole output_log.txt file here, by drag dropping it to a new post. (I'd guess the devs can hunt down the old log from the report you sent, but I've no idea how easy that is or if it will have all the same information.) :)

8. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

Sounds like the TEMP environment variable points to a non-existing location, in this case the removed D: drive.

Find your "advanced system settings" dialog. Search for 'environment' in Windows10 control panel, or if you have windows 7, right-click on 'computer', select properties, then 'advanced system settings', go to 'advanced' tab, click 'environment variables'

In 'user variables' section, your TEMP and TMP should be something like "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" (without the quotes). If there's 'D:\TMP' there you have found your problem.

In 'system variables', default TEMP and TMP value is "%SystemRoot%\TEMP", again, if you have D:\TMP there then that's likely your problem. You need admin privileges to change those, though.

Beyond that... check what programs load at startup and such and see if there's something that might be changing your environment variables, try get rid of it.

Also... pro tip: don't play games as Admin. Don't do ANYTHING as Admin unless you explicitly have to. It is much safer that way.

Django and ZeroGravitas like this.
  9. Kestrel

Thanks, dude - you're a lifesaver. I forgot that I changed the TMP and Temp folder directions to D, wich was like my fast portion of the drive, so I could access any information from it alot faster. Long story short -

I've changed that back to C, but haven't tested the game yet (though it probably should work now). Funny how that part slipped through my mind since I did this like 2 years ago and didn't even think about it when I was merging those two parts of my disk together.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  10. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Glad you got it sorted @Kestrel . I would have said roughly the same as Zorgomol. Looks like it was your temp directory being inaccessible since you removed the other drive, there's probably a few other bits of software that didn't quite work correctly since then as a lot of programs (games or otherwise) use temp. The reason we use the temp directory is to make sure we don't break any of your saves when something goes wrong. Whenever we save a file we save it in the temp directory and then copy it across to the real one after, so that if it goes wrong there's nothing broken in your main save directory. It also means we don't delete your saves if something goes wrong while overwriting one.

ZeroGravitas and kae like this.