[1.0.1.7] Rearranging the control scheme menu (mock-up)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
It's really cool that the devs have implemented multiple key bindings per control axis and key bindings repeated for multiple controls (something players, including myself, requested). But currently, this result makes the menu a little messier, more confusing and time consuming to use. Current appearance:

2018-12-15 Control Scheme menu 1.0.1.7 a.jpg

I'm assuming the devs already have layout changes in the works (so please excuse my impatience). What I'm hoping is that by 1.0.2 release we'll at least have a minimal rearrangement, something like this (mock-up):

(1) Separate buttons to select each binding pair (and clear them individually) , with the selected keys shown on the buttons. I think I'd rather not see any mention of the key pair "axis 1", etc, because this extra layer of abstraction just taxes the brain. (Although I don't know what else this might be planned to link into...)

(2) A key pair (axis 7) for Shift and Ctrl together. Which I still think is more important than all the key duplication, etc, options already added in. The most minimal way would be to automatically duplicate the separate control Propeller and Thruster keys as a pairing, too (circled in red).

(3) A tick box or button for each control row to enable throttle control for each axis: On / Off / Auto (i.e. as currently, when a rotor is place).

But maybe this is something for the next series of unstables after 1.0.2, with further work on throttle control system...(?)

(4) Advanced options button (in place of the "Invert Reverse Steering" option), that brings up another right-side menu with a number of scheme setting options. Including invert reversing, automatic scheme switching (by tech state - grounded, airborne, etc), other possibilities from my advanced control scheme options thread.

An option here might enable the second column of key binding buttons, or combine them into one, too.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm given to understand that @Greg redesigned this menu and I see there's been changes in 1.0.1.1/1.0.1.2, but I didn't want to jump on these changes in case they are not all implemented yet. For example, I don' see any addition of this important functionality (which I already pestered @zanzistar about):
(2) A key pair (axis 7) for Shift and Ctrl together. Which I still think is more important

Also, what's up with this ugly red cartoon plane? It's just a placeholder image, right? (Previous plane tech looked far better to me.)

2019-02-01 ugly red plane.jpg

burger1113

yeah what was wrong with the good old gso crumminess? lol not being coy either.
axis numbers definitely doesn't make sense to be shown unless we could map gamepads or flightsticks with that information...
I'm definitely having to contort my pinky in a weird way while flying to add in thrusters along with propellers. Input overlap very necessary.
I wonder if it is too complicated or taxing to pretty much not have the vehicle mapping in the options menu, and instead just do all of it in the individual scheme menu? The way it is now, it feels like I'm trying to juggle one set of balls in front of me and another behind my back.
I'm still happy that we actually get scheme options as opposed to what we had last year, though lol

Soviet_Samuelson

On the path to becoming a grand-master idiot
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
yeah what was wrong with the good old gso crumminess? lol not being coy either.
axis numbers definitely doesn't make sense to be shown unless we could map gamepads or flightsticks with that information...
I'm definitely having to contort my pinky in a weird way while flying to add in thrusters along with propellers. Input overlap very necessary.
I wonder if it is too complicated or taxing to pretty much not have the vehicle mapping in the options menu, and instead just do all of it in the individual scheme menu? The way it is now, it feels like I'm trying to juggle one set of balls in front of me and another behind my back.
I'm still happy that we actually get scheme options as opposed to what we had last year, though lol
this is a thing now

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
We've still got control scheme updates planned. They were deprioritised in favour of Co-op Creative and BF Missions and bringing BF to campaign for the coming update, so you won't see much change soon.

Clearing a paired set of movement control individually is fiddly and defeats the point of them being paired in the first place. You can either use Ctrl and Shift as a pair or as individual keys, but not both at the same time. Creating exceptions to the rules add complexity to a system that I'm already worried is too complex to some new players approaching it for the first time.

Auto scheme switching may be handled by a Block further down the line, but for now, you can just use the quick switching from the Tech Radial menu.

Sorry, it's not good news, Multiplayer work has to take the priority at the moment.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the reply. :)
Sorry, it's not good news, Multiplayer work has to take the priority at the moment.
:Wince: More technical debt sacrifice at the altar of multiplayer. But anyway...

You can either use Ctrl and Shift as a pair or as individual keys, but not both at the same time.
I've just realised that this isn't true and we can already do the main thing I was pushing for there. And it's been possible since 1.0.2, apprently! Sorry! :oops:

It must have changed quietly since the unstable shortly before that... Now, with [Shift] and [Ctrl] bound as a pair (to "Lift") in the main settings, they can in fact be used as a pair (for helicopter lift) and separately for the propellers override / thrusters (with planes and cars)! (Pretty certain that previously this wouldn't work fully.)

And the little presentation changes in the recent 1.0.2x unstables have made that clearer and prettier:

2019-02-06 Simultaneous Shift+Ctrl pair and seperate!.jpg

So that's good, that you can do one handed controls for all vehicle types now.:) *If* you rebind to switch [Shift]+[Ctrl] with [Page up]+[Page down].

Personally I'd make that switch for the game's default bindings too. This would avoid complex two handed controls for helicopters, with lift and [W]+{S} and whatnot... I would have thought it more common my way. But I guess you devs will have done your homework.

a system that I'm already worried is too complex to some new players approaching it for the first time.
Oh, for sure new players are going to be totally confounded with the control scheme bindings. And there's still a load of rough edges and minor unresolved issues I'd given feedback on, that will confuse more.