1.0.1.3 Was the Death of the Hoverbug. Bring Back the Hoverbug!

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by Legionite, Dec 5, 2018.

?

Was the Hover Bug a valuable asset to Terra Tech's advanced side?

1. YES!!! It cannot be replaced!

78.6%
  2. Yes

14.3%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The recent additions replace the hover bug effectively

7.1%
  5. The hover bug must be destroyed for all eternity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

As @Sdarks said, send us some snapshots and we'll look into the difference and fix it (if we're 'fixing a bug' is that breaking it?). Any change was not intentional, the hovers have been updated in general (dampening, stability, functioning with the hover power control etc.) so, if the HB is behaving differently it might have inadvertently been affected. But yes, it wasn't intentional and we'll take a look at it.

Again, we do not intend to break or remove the hover bug until there is a legitimate solution for all of its use cases. The HB leads to some of the most impressive builds in TT and that is a great benefit to us. The intention is to make it easier for a greater number of Players to be able to make similarly ambitions builds without relying on a bug. As this update has shown, relying on a bug for this stuff has consequences, it can inadvertently be affected by other work.

2. Matt

Matt PAYLOAD STUDIOS

If I may join in on this topic too!

I'm going to start by stating the obvious. Hover Bug (HB) is a bug. It is unintended behaviour that can be exploited to create some amazing and genuinely interesting techs. It's things like this that make TerraTech so unique!

So with that in mind, when we do add or adjust blocks that affect this unintended behaviour it's not with the intention of ruining existing HB techs. If anything we're trying to accommodate this need in legitimate ways, as Kris mentioned.

It's super important to realise that in order for us to support, or 'fix', any unintended behaviour is a huge task. It takes away development resources from other projects, not to mention actually trying to figure out what is going on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Hover Bug isn't going anywhere anytime soon. What's likely going to happen is it will be affected by other blocks/features that get added, such as the adjustments to hovers, for example.

As with any bug/exploit it's not ideal to have sticking around for too long. However, the fact that we're even able to entertain the idea of continuing to 'support' it goes to show how valuable your feedback is to us. Dave has already started working with some key Hover Bug advocates to see exactly what we can get out of it. This is something I'll personally take ownership of too so you know it's in good hands.

#22 Matt, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    NotExactlyHero, Seth_Seth and Galrex like this.
  3. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Getting a permit to life in a jolly box

DIRECTIONAL ANTI-MAGNET BLOCKS COULD BE THE REPLACEMENT! south wouldn't experience any force, but north would, and if south could also be held by special conveyors, then we would have a completely functional replacement for the hoverbug!

Seth_Seth likes this.
  4. Seth_Seth

Seth_Seth HoverBug

yey

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.