[1.0.1.3] Propellers reverse when pitching down on flying techs

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by Mindlessmrawesome, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mindlessmrawesome

Mindlessmrawesome Well-Known Member

So...
    when you turn your tech into plane controls
    and you press s
    the thrust above of the center of mass inverses.
    So you end up stalling.
    when you press Q or E, the same thing happens with thrust to either side of the center of mass.
    Causing you to stall and crash.
    maybe when shift isn't pressed those could be good things, but while shift is pressed and you are in plane mode you cannot afford to have half your thrust randomly decide to inverse. it's stalling every plane I own.

Deves, Galrex, Legionite and 5 others like this.
  2. Sea_Kerman

Sea_Kerman Well-Known Member

Verily. When I hold Shift and S to take off, most of my planes drive backwards because the propellers reverse to pitch up.

Galrex and Lord Zarnox like this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Example of tech that suffers from this issue:

ZG Glider 1.png

So yeah, the "Propeller" control (default [Shift]) should over-ride pitch and yaw/turn control of fans.

And the "Acceleration" controls should over-ride fan control for planes, but probably not for cars. So some extra kind of setting could do with adding...

I've added "[1.0.1.3]" to the title of this thread.

Lord Zarnox and Sea_Kerman like this.
  4. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Cheers guys, I'll take a look at this.

Can you upload a snapshot where the Q and E stall the plane too please?

--

Also changed the title, please be a bit more clear in your post title and don't use full caps.

JimmyBlether and Lord Zarnox like this.
  5. Sea_Kerman

One would assume that any twin engine plane in the standard configuration would suffer from this. Not as bad, as Q and E would just negate the thrust, not reverse it, but still.

6. ZeroGravitas

OK, so here's a plane I showed off here in Ep 5 of my crafting playthrough:

ZG VenLv2 Plane CS.png

Pitching down, [W], partially stalls *all* the fans. So you can't easily recover from pitching up too high and loosing air speed.

Yawing [Q] and [E] totally stalls the fans on one side, so it yaw turns fast compared to other planes, but looses altitude and speed.

Note that pitching up overrides the yaw stalling. It's all kinda complicated. I think you may need to add control scheme options related to these issues. Perhaps an explicit order of precedence with which controls override the others (e.g. by sorting the list). And have them default enabled/disabled differential for the different tech types.

#6 ZeroGravitas, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Aardvark123 likes this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

Holding yaw causes this little Venture fast scout plane to turn into a flat spin and drop like a brick....

ZG Gremlin CS1.png

... But then I'm wondering if these are all the new system working as intended, and we just have to design around this now?

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  8. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

I hope it isn't. It's useful on other techs, but for planes this is disastrous, as demonstrated. You don't see planes in real life slowing down some engines to turn unless in an emergency.

9. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

This is not as intended.

10. Sea_Kerman

I mean, differential thrust is a valid way to turn an aircraft... This would be ok if it was only activated by Q and E, and only slowed or speeded the props by 10%, leaving them still providing thrust while turning.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  11. ZeroGravitas

Yeah, I would actually be kinda sad to see differential fan control totally eliminated as an option for planes; yawing with only tail fins/rudders basically just seems to make your craft crab sideways a little, while maintaining its heading. As realistic as that may be it's kind of disappointing from a video came perspective, when planes in FPS sandboxes can be turned like that effectively.

But clearly it needs toning down or being disabled by default or something...

#11 ZeroGravitas, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:11 PM
    Aardvark123 and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

Somewhat fitting that the scheme diagram tech suffers from this bug too, stalling when trying to pull up:

Schema Plane 1.png

Conversely, here's an example of a tech (by @GK vec) that flys beautifully with the new system, and I suspect will still yaw well even without differential fan control:

GK TIE CS1.png

Galrex and Aardvark123 like this.
  13. ZeroGravitas

Oh, and this issue totally wrecks all quad copter style drones (e.g. attached) and many helicopters. Even throttled lift gets overridden by pitch and roll controls if the rotor blade is not exactly centred. e.g. this infamous workshop tech, on which I moved the rotor forwards one block (it worked OK in it's original form):

PitchBug BlackHynde .png

Oh, lol!o_O:) Bonus bug, @kae: Apparently the throttle axis graphic indicator can render in the snapshots ^. (although I'm not sure that is supposed to be staying there long term...(?)

Attached Files:

#13 ZeroGravitas, Dec 10, 2018 at 2:54 AM
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 3:00 AM
  14. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Nope that wont be staying, at least not in that form :)

Galrex and ZeroGravitas like this.
  15. ZeroGravitas

OK, cool, so from the update notes for 1.0.1.5:
    What this means is that the "Propellers" control will always override the other controls and force the fans and propellers to spin forwards. (Hover steers will steer with the other controls.)

But with the "Lift"/"Acceleration"control on (for example) the same [Shift] key binding, the fans and props (on that linear axis) will halt differentially to pitch, roll and turn the tech. (But not reverse their thrust.)

It seems like a good setup, that maximises control options.:) (Even though I initially thought it was a fail, from testing using "Lift" control first. :confused:)

#15 ZeroGravitas, Dec 12, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 7:01 AM