[1.0.1.3] Hover steers massively over-buffed

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by ZeroGravitas, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

After a bit of testing between 1.0.1 (stable) and this 1.0.1.3 (unstable), it looks to me like the force of all Hover Steering blocks has been increased to a whopping 400% (ish) of what it was (almost 4 times stronger)!

[​IMG]
    Left: old max lift capacity. Right: new max lift capacity.

They were definitely a little under-powered before. But I would have asked for an increase to 150%-200% of what they were, at most. (No more than half of the new value.)

They're now so powerful that hovercraft (or sports cars) don't need any fans or thrusters to easily reach 100mph. You can fly with just them easily too.

Also, a single hover steer is now way to strong to use on a small craft, sending my probe careening out of control:
    ZG BF Probe 1.png

...And all my hover steered helicopters (which I'm in the process of editing a video on) go totally bananas, of course:

ZG Zoologist 2 CS.png

I'm posting this as a bug because @Sdarks didn't know if it was deliberate. @zanzistar - you usually balance the block values, so I'll tag you too.

#1 ZeroGravitas, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Wait, those things actually provide lift? I never noticed that.

Soviet_Samuelson and Aardvark123 like this.
  3. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

That is either increased to 400%, or 5 times stronger.

Aardvark123 and ZeroGravitas like this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

I'll also note, now, that I thought the gyros have perhaps been slightly overpowered since they were buffed, months back. The smallest one is too powerful to use in a very small aircraft. The (Venture) hover plates were crazy over-powered too, but I see we'll have controls for that now, so no problem...

Only if you re-orient the cab 90 degrees upwards (and somehow keep the tech oriented).

Yes, an editing typo. Will fix.

Aardvark123 and Lord Zarnox like this.
  5. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Yeah, I gave them a buff, it wasn't too much more, but I can give them a nudge down a bit too.

Aardvark123 and Lord Zarnox like this.
  6. ZeroGravitas

As I say, the effective strength in game is a *lot* more. Somewhere between 3 and 4 times more powerful. Not sure if some other factor exaggerated this, perhaps...?

I also checked between 1.0.1 and 1.0.1.3 using this torsion balance - press [W] to compare hover steer strength against the pinwheel prop (~4 hover steers needed for approximate balance in 1.0.1 and ~1 in 1.0.1.3):

Test hvrStr Strength.png

Lord Zarnox and Aardvark123 like this.
  7. zanzistar

Thanks for the feedback, I've nerfed them down by 25% now. Let me know how they feel after the next update. Cheers!

8. ZeroGravitas

Okies, thanks. I'm pretty sure that'll still be very powerful, if it's a linear decrement, but I'll check it out. Any idea when the next update patch will be? (I'd have guessed soon than later, with lots of new stuff to tweak/patch...)

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  9. zanzistar

We're in a hardening sprint now so we'll start doing fairly regular unstables soon in the lead up to a stable update before Christmas, @saiwun might have more details though.

10. saiwun

saiwun PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Friday probably for the next TT Unstable update.

11. ZeroGravitas

I kinda don't want them to be nerfed now I've been having fun with them... But these applications do seem a bit ridiculous (my Community Core Showcase submissions):

12. ZeroGravitas

Cool - I can confirm that the lifting capacity of the hovers were substantially nerfed in 1.0.1.4 (by 1.3 GSO one-blocks):

2018-12-08 Hover steer lifting capacity.jpg

But both my demonstrated hover steer aircraft work the same, loosing only 125mph down to 117mph top speed (on the dropship, for example). Which is interesting... Looks like this is the new aircraft meta, then (as far as I'm concerned). Groovy.:)

Lord Zarnox likes this.