1.0.1.3 Front Wheels Turning Wrong Way

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by -=ROOSTER=-, Dec 5, 2018.

1. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- The Pebble in your Shoe

With 4 wheel steering it's normal for wheels to steer opposite while sitting still in order to turn in place, but now they if you are traveling forward, and let off the forward key the front end steers the wrong way. Normally short "3 point" turns are the quickest way to turn a tech in place, now they are all but impossible.

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Yeah, the only issue is that this new turning wheel configuration is keyed off input control when it should be dependant on tech speed - waiting for the tech to be (almost) stationary before putting the wheels into a circle shape, for more efficient on-the-spot rotation.

(Demo video/snapshot might be handy for clarity.)

3. -=ROOSTER=-

Yeah, I was thing the same thing. I'll post a vid shortly.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  4. Willm2413

Willm2413 New Member

On my plane the front wheels point towards each other when I turn (its like the starter plane, wheel wise)

5. -=ROOSTER=-

First time I have ever quoted myself (seems strange for some reason), but just now as I was about to explain my reason for not having posted the aforementioned video (every attempt so far has resulted in recording only a black screen), the answer to my problem just came to me. Ha! What the heck, I'll say it now and then we'll see if i'm correct. The answer has eluded me all day, but it just occurred to me that SLI has got to be it. I bet OBS is trying to capture video from the the wrong card (the one assigned to physics calculation). If I am correct, I shall return shortly with said video. If I am wrong feel free to have a good laugh at my expense. Tune in boys and girls for the exciting conclusion.

6. -=ROOSTER=-

Oops! There's nothing quite like quoting yourself to make your typing errors really stand out. If there's a way to embarrass my self, I'll find it by golly! I'm nothing if not thorough. Anyways, back to the thing. Well I was right about that at least. Problem solved! Here's the video, and again sorry for the wait.

Lord Zarnox and kae like this.
  7. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Logged it, we'll look into this.

Cheers guys!

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  8. ZeroGravitas

Having tried out more wheeled vehicles, I think there might be a split between them, where this new behaviour is actually good (fun) for high speed, low lateral grip wheels (e.g. Venture springers on a modest sized tech) - immediately turning into circle configuration seems to let you spin turn (e.g. for 180s to driving backwards) a little more easily while still maintaining momentum.

But for grippy wheels on techs that have momentum from weight, rather than speed, it's frustrating and bad.

Dude, can't be as bad as me; every time I go back and read a thread I've commented in I have to go edit a couple of typos I've made... There's probably some right there! ^

Aardvark123 and Lord Zarnox like this.
  9. ZeroGravitas

Oh, and these changes really break bikes (aside from all my leaning bikes being broken by other changes and tweaks anyway:(). Wheels turn the same way together and cab the bike when letting up an accelerator:

Note that my suggestion of keying the circle turning off speed wouldn't fix this. You'd always want them turning the old way to look right, even on the spot.

I think this could mostly be resolved by making sure that wheels along the centre line turn in the old fashion. But as an exception that might fall afoul of asymmetric bikes (like, with a sidecar, or overhang on one side).

Wowy, Aardvark123 and Lord Zarnox like this.
  10. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

There should just be a control scheme that is identical to previous versions of the game. That would solve so many problems.

harpo99999 likes this.
  11. ZeroGravitas

Maybe, but from a coding perspective, it'll probably be costly to keep separate parallel systems running bug free and working with other new content. Might not even be possible for to have it work correctly with new AI, etc. I think there are a couple features of the old system that could still be argued for inclusion in the new system, though...

Aardvark123 likes this.