[1.0.1.1] Beter Future update predictions (hype!!)

Discussion in 'Open' started by ZeroGravitas, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:19 AM.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I was going to throw a few thoughts/predictions into Discord, but they got quite big... Placing my bets, explicitly, good for looking smart/dumb respectively (this post will be very outdated by the end of today, anyway, heh).

I think it's very likely this update will include a new corp that is better future (strong hints from the ARG, aside), because Reticule, Legion and maybe Space Junkers (to an extent) would take much more code support.

Anyway, my guesses for their blocks...

• Lots of curved structural blocks of novel geometry, to help make sleek designs. (In glossy white presumably, with cutaways showing black machinery underneath, blue highlights, etc, as stated in this blog.)

• Mostly laser type weapons - dual barrel turreted (as pictured), long barrel heavy damage. Far longer range than GSO/Ven lasers, maybe different projectile type...

• Maybe called "MASER"s (as per the Imgur album), or something different (e.g. proton/neutron/muon beams), to justify them looking blue.

Hydrogen fuel cells - batteries and/or generators.

• Maybe wind turbines coming in with that...? Windmills with fixed circular guards and/or the tall horizontal spinning type. (Doubtful that atmospheric weather would be a thing at this point, though.)

Hover pads that bulge outwards slightly (rather than convex), like those on the Nebuchadnezzar (Matrix movies). Maybe some articulated in some way. Probably a larger (2x2) single circular pad.

Missions that involve travel in some way...(?)

NPC that kinda looks like a concept car...(?) [Female, to balance the cast...?]

Other features that seem likely to be bundled in some way (or following shortly after):

• Better hover-tech control system, to stop bouncing (I think it'd be cool as a modifier block, personally).

Map, maybe with tech switching via map (again, maybe "MASER" comms coming into play...?)

#1 ZeroGravitas, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:16 PM
  2. Galrex

Galrex Possibilist

Ahem

Just sharing something relevant to this thread here. Has anyone seen the Better Future 3D Concept Art made by @Lord Zarnox ? He even changed his pfp to a BF concept tech.

Aardvark123 likes this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

Oh right, absolutely:
    And sorry for overlooking many other past related suggestions (and art works). Feel free to link them in!:)

Actually, I forgot a couple more out-there predictions for BF blocks:

Non- spherical shield/regen bubbles - so maybe ellipsoid (elongated), or even a different kind of system (that looks better) like a block hugging aura...

Anti-missile lasers or countermeasures - something to help the game meta move beyond the OP Hawkeye missiles.

Edit: Oh, maybe the EXP Plasma Furnace will go to them... (Or there'll be a fusion furnace, like the Back to the Future 2 Delorean - but that sounds more Reticule Research.)

Edit2: pop-up 'frog' headlights (to preserve the clean lines).

#3 ZeroGravitas, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM
  4. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

Never thought about that.

Click the file, it wont upload properly...

[​IMG]

#4 JimmyBlether, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    Aardvark123 and Galrex like this.
  5. ZeroGravitas

Embedded it for you (ok?).:)

Aardvark123, JimmyBlether and Galrex like this.
  6. JimmyBlether

Thanks!

Aardvark123 and ZeroGravitas like this.
  7. rdoom2003

rdoom2003 乚乇卂刀乇尺 口下 卄乇乚工口丂

Well I hope you're right.

Galrex, JimmyBlether and Aardvark123 like this.
  8. JimmyBlether

Guys.

Am I correct in saying there is a stream around that time?

FEATURE SHOWING HYPE INCREASE!!!!!!!

9. ZeroGravitas

OK, I may as well update my predictions, based on the confirmation of Better Future and eventual reveal of some of the new blocks [blog, example tech album]. After a little reappraisal of what I said above...

[​IMG]
    These are exactly the shapes I'd imagined. And there's more too! Looks like they'll be tricky but rewarding to build with, like Venture's curves.

"MASER"s, we'll have to see... But seems like I may have technologically low balled them with "hydrogen fuel cells" (maybe hydrogen thrusters instead?), given that BF have "Zero Point Propulsion"...

[​IMG]

In real science terms, 'Zero Point Energy' is essentially free power - vacuum energy from quantum fluctuations that prevent anything from reaching absolute zero temperature (-272C). Also see Casimir Effect (also quantum vacuum effect, specifically for propulsion). So probably a very weak force, but unlimited.

The 'hover-bug' finally legitimised...? These blocks look to be 3x4x2 (W*L*H), like mini Star Trek warp nacelles...

Side note: expect lots of Zero Point splitter components in Better Future blocks, requiring lots of Celestite (light blue) to Fabricate (very expensive).

[​IMG]

I'm still undecided about wind generators; from a technobable perspective they'd make not sense... But stylistically they'd fit best with BF and the technology lore is already very shoe horned for the other corp's power, etc. So why not? (Main issue is if they have to be sidelined due to coding time limits.)
    [​IMG]

Wrong. Should have forseen them going with the Tron wheel aesthetic, but sideways. But there are 2x2 single circular pads (as well as double size 4x4 - biggest yet!). The appearance reminds me most of some of the Seraphim units in Supreme Commander Forged Alliance:

[​IMG]

And they appear to be articulated, too. :) Presumably this is how they stabilise on sloped terrain, to avoid a craft sliding backwards, etc. We'll have to see what their maximum deflection is, and if this actually limits the slopes they can cope with. I'd expect the animations not to go much past what's shown here (~30 degrees), because the larger hovers, in particular, will clip into blocks, above/below. Or take up a lot of placement volume...[​IMG]

Nope. It's lines simple lines and dome looked a lot like the old concept art, but they definitely wouldn't fit with the new, sexy lines. And 'plasma' seems more HE level tech, not quantum magic.

Headlights... Not sure.

Shields bubbles, we'll have to see. But they'd definitely look wrong if just circular, like the current range.

#9 ZeroGravitas, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    Matt, rdoom2003, JimmyBlether and 3 others like this.
  10. ZeroGravitas

Weapons - also look like they'll be in the second batch of blocks, taking more coding time (which is encouraging, that they'll be a little different). Maybe some more sustained beams... Definitely some missile countering needed somewhere.

I'm thinking the dual barrel guns might look a little sleeker, like these from Oblivion (2013):

[​IMG]

The NPC - I'm thinking even more so will be female, given the svelte curved blocks. So Eve (from WALL-E) seems even more relevant. Unless they rifted on this and call them "Steve", but too literally Steve Jobs then (with the Apple design aesthetic). The name will be something unexpected, probably a regular name like Suzie, Joe, Pete, etc.

[​IMG]

I think there's a strong chance they'll actually float in place too. Given the enhanced hover tech... Problematic as this could be if player decides to barge into them... Or if anchored, they would literally be like a (Portal) turret.
    [​IMG]

#10 ZeroGravitas, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM
  11. ZeroGravitas

A few references and similarities that pop out at me:

The Cab (2x2x1), which looks like it will actually be worth while to hover about in, looks exactly like the front of the Transrapid (300mph) maglev train system (one installed in shanghai):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those 1x1x1 blocks (above) look like 4 (or 5) way hover steers. They look awesome! I thought they might be the basic one blocks at first (they're not). They remind me (yet again) of Portal - weighted companion cube, or 232 Guilt Spark (from Halo):

[​IMG]

And those fat 4x4x2 hover plates circles with built in hover steers look really boss. I wonder if they have gyro function or anything else built in too, are are just really powerful... They looks like this Logitech G600 MMO mouse (I've been window shopping lately):

[​IMG]

I'm hoping all of the new BF hover steers are far stronger than the existing ones (which are currently very feeble compared to the OP hover pads and gyros).

#11 ZeroGravitas, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    DrShadox, Matt, rdoom2003 and 4 others like this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

These wings look amazing too. (3x4x1 for the extender sections? i.e. a 3 wide system...) Super spaceship-on-sci-fi-novel-cover style. Although I can't put my finger on an exact parallel... Maybe the Normandy from Mass Effect, a little.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1x1x1 Gyro blocks there (orange centres), so surely bigger ones too? Unless they are insanely strong...? Or the new hover system has far less need for them, inherently...?

And what are these big irregular white blocks, left and right at the front of this tech? Super-heavy hover steers? Or those Zero Point thusters..?:

[​IMG]

Feel free to comment/critique/meme below. I'm hoping I'm done speculating for now.:)

#12 ZeroGravitas, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:41 PM
  13. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

These blocks look sexy and elegant. I hope they're affordable in-game haha

14. ZeroGravitas

Everything's free if you craft it... ;) (Definitely will be expensive to buy I'd wager.)

15. JimmyBlether

I CANNOT WAIT TILL TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey i'm excited*

*you can tell cause bad grammar

Aardvark123 and JimmyBlether like this.
  17. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Welp, we all know what to do now...

Attached Files:

#17 NotExactlyHero, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:23 AM
  18. Galrex

Galrex Possibilist

So you suggested this more than a year ago thread
    We should definitely get this now for a Better Future. :D

19. ZeroGravitas

Oh, lol. I'd totally forgotten that I'd actually name checked Better Future in that post. I guess we'll have to see where the devs take things...

Aardvark123, JimmyBlether and Galrex like this.