[1.0.0.4][Feedback & Issues] New tech loading menu system

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by ZeroGravitas, Oct 20, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

First of all, just want to say I'm pretty hyped for these changes - it's the biggest thing since workshop support!:D Glad you guys have been giving this some love. Deleting snapshots! Renaming them without re-snapshotting! Workshop loading in campaign! Block Buck value stated! Woot!:)

Also, I get that this is the unstable branch and these are major features that are still a work in progress and you'll probably be aware of most of these points already.:)

2018-10-20 new Loading menu.jpg

Issues:

(1) Swap tech deletes all the blocks of pre-existing techs when they are unloaded - see this thread.

(2) The tech selection resets to the first item a little while after opening the menu (I think) and after clicking deploy tech. (An irritation if deploying e.g. multiple turrets, etc.) [Edit: blocks entering inventory reset the selection, for one thing.]

(3) Expanded snapshot preview is very blue tinted.

(4) Scrolling, and some clicks, bypass the menu UI.

(5) Swapping is permitted while enemies are within range.

(6) Swapping allows intersection of terrain and other techs, by forced anchoring (as it always has in Creative, etc).

2018-10-20 Loading into ground.jpg

(7) Yellow 'favourite' stars are not visible against well lit desert backgrounds in thumbnails.

2018-10-20 Favoutire star not visibe.jpg

#1 ZeroGravitas, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. ZeroGravitas

Suggested necessities:

Basic tweaks and additions that I hope are planned/incoming. (Other players, what are your thoughts?)

(a) Tech swapping animation - like the deployment animation. Probably about twice as fast, to take the same total time as loading by deployment (for equal sized techs).

(b) "Swap Current Tech" closes the load menu by default. Most likely that will be one's only desired action at that time and it's just as easy to re-open it as to close it.

(c) "Deploy Tech" allows multiple techs to be placed without going back to the load menu. (Certainly without reseting the snapshot selection.) It's very cumbersome to deploy multiple turrets, light posts, etc, as is. Impossible to do multi-turret flyby drops, etc.

I'd suggest a small button at the middle bottom of the screen to "Return to Load Menu" and maybe "Cancel Loading" altogether. Or at least a non-clickable promt to "Press [Esc]" or whatever.

(d) Missing blocks pane should auto-open when clicking a snapshot for which parts are missing and closes when clicking one you have all the parts for. (As it used to, with campaign loading.) I can't think of any reason not to... And that could remove the need for that button altogether.

(e) Workshop tab could do with a sort option for "Subscribed" - previously the default/only available option, but not currently possible (I think). So if you subscribe to an old item, it will be buried under newer ones (that you subscribed to at an earlier time).

(f) A "Load More" option in the Workshop tab - I think it's still limited to the most recently subscribed 50 items. (You currently have to unsub and resub to make older subscription visible. As previously.)

(g) Keyboard shortcuts for opening load menu, deleting selected snapshots, confirming, etc, etc. To come with the controls update, or whenever. Will make things palpably more slick than having to click on a small button.

#2 ZeroGravitas, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  3. TheSpaceMan

TheSpaceMan Mammoth walker
    TT Translator

Maybe a size sorting option or no/only (insert corporation here) filtering options ?

AstraTheDragon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

Suggested niceties:

More speculative features.

(i) Have some way to retain the "Missing Blocks" pane, to make it easier for those (like me) with a poor memory to shop for, or Fabricate, the needed parts. Maybe as part of...

(ii) Favourites to show up in a quick load menu. Perhaps to the left of screen (like the old campaign loading menu.

(iii) ... And/or allocate snapshots to a hot-bar. i.e. the "hot" part of the teased 'hot-swapping' (that I'm expecting is already being worked on :)).

I've been wanting this for really quick and easy deployment of techs, e.g. just by pressing a number key and clicking it down. Great for turrets and SCU techs, to save fiddling about in inventory to fish out an SCU from the (bottom of) the crafting section, each time.

And with hot-swapping, a "hot swap" key shortcut, followed by a number, for example. (The bar could be shared between snapshots for swapping and deploying.)

(iv) Share to Steam workshop without re-snapshotting. For when you've already taken nice shots of your techs and don't want to spend ages re-staging them to post them up online.

(v) Block count stat. And Block allowance usage (for consoles) - perhaps already a thing...?

(vi) "Created by" meta data (verging into a slightly different realm here).

(vii) Total tech charge level retained between swapped techs. (I.e. total quantity of charge, not percentage.) So you're not necessarily always starting from scratch and you could build a transport plane with more batteries, to more easily swap back to a ground based bruiser tech, etc.

(viii) Retain blocks between swapped techs. Maybe an alternative to (vii), in that it would only retain charge in the same battery type used between the two techs.

This would also retain any damage to blocks that transferred over, for realism and a downside to such a powerful feature. It could thus prevent players using swapping to instantly heal their techs.

#4 ZeroGravitas, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  5. ZeroGravitas

Hmm, there's probably a lot of different filters you could think of... Block levels too, etc... That would be handy in certain niche creative situations. But probably the "Show available techs only" covers most of the need in campaign...?

A big one, come to think of it, would be to filter by game username, seeing as snapshots are currently common. (Would, for example, make things easier for Matt streaming ComCore and playthroughs, alternately.) Or just create separate user folders for these, like with saves, I suppose...

#5 ZeroGravitas, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Aardvark123 and AstraTheDragon like this.
  6. ZeroGravitas

Actually, yeah. That was a major oversight on my part, above. I've been wanting some kind of snapshot grouping for a long while. I'd been thinking of having the game edit the folder structure, for that grouping... But tags and filtering could be a way to do this even better.

It'd be cool if all snapshots were automatically tagged with which game mode they are created in.

Corporation could be another category (if they have any of that corp's block, I think), including EXP parts.

This could all tie in with workshop too, to auto-tag snapshots, so it's less haphazard there (most techs with R&D parts are not labelled as such, for example - must cause some frustration for players without the DLC).

Then manually added tags would be great for e.g. planes, tanks, crafting techs (there's still no Workshop category for "crafting").

Players could tag per playthrough if they wished. Or sort by game version created in, if that's an added sorting category.

Mass tagging would be very handy, if we could make multiple thumbnail selections in the loader.

#6 ZeroGravitas, Oct 21, 2018
  7. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

As much as I dislike multi-bug single posts, I'll let you off this time as it's a new feature :p

To go through the issues you've been having.

1) We've had a look and it's now been logged, we may have to temporarily disable the 'Swap current tech' button until it is fully working as intended, sorry about this guys :(

2) I can't seem to reproduce this issue, each time I deploy a new tech it puts me back where I was before.

3) Logged

4) This is most likely the same issue that is plaguing our inventory menu, where you can rarely place blocks through the menu, that's already logged, but I'll add the new info to it.

5) Logged

6) Logged

7) This is more feedback than bug, but I'll fire this past Jason to see what he thinks

As for the rest, there's a lot of good feedback here!
    Some of them might take a bit longer to do than others, but I'll share this post with the rest of the guys to see what they think.

Cheers!

---

Quick edit

Point (f) is also a bug not a suggestion, should already be logged as well :)

#7 kae, Oct 22, 2018
  8. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

To expand on this, the feedback you're giving @ZeroGravitas is very useful. Yes some of it we're already aware of and it is a work in progress but never be discouraged by that, it at least lets us know we're on the right track with what we have planned. :)

Tagging @zanzistar and @Django as well

Django and ZeroGravitas like this.
  9. ZeroGravitas

Hmm, just looked back at my example video (in the other thread) at about 8 second in - that instance of a selection reset, right after opening the menu (that cases me to deploy the auto-miner tech by mistake) coincides with the GSO XP bar popping open.

So it's possible one of my towers killed an enemy, off camera. Maybe that UI update nudges it, or it was just....

The other way always causes this: any block entering inventory (SCU pick-up) or being placed from inventory resets to the top every time.

kae likes this.
  10. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

I'll give that a shot, cheers!

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  11. merkesch

merkesch Well-Known Member

It´s easy to reproduce.
    Just set up a delivery cannon and sell stuff. Every time an item is sold, the snapshot menu resets.

12. ZeroGravitas

Ahhhh, of course. Same as with the Trade Station shop selection reset (update of money UI, or whatever). Enemies dying give you money too. :)