[1.0.0.3] Steam cloud syncronisation issues

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I think this is working as one would expect. However, it has some idiosyncrasies in practice...

(1) If you remove snapshots (or save files?) while the game is closed, they will be restored when you run the game. That's kind of a nuisance. I'll probably disable synchronisation for this reason and others are seeing it as a problem they've no idea how to fix - Steam thread from yesterday.

(2) If you remove snapshots while the game is running, it generates a synchronisation conflict that you must resolve before re-launching. (I think this was the sole cause when I was just testing.) Irritating, confusing and worrying for players.

Cropper2018-10-08-21-39-47-5453433.jpg

Cropper2018-10-08-21-40-14-9717659.jpg

For these reasons the need for a proper in-game delete snapshot option (on PC too) is even more pressing now.

(3) It can take a long time to synchronise after closing the game. I think this blocks re-opening the game? So copying or creating a whole bunch of saves/snapshots could take a really long time. I'm not sure why the Steam cloud sync severs are (always) so slow... I can download the whole game in a few seconds, at ~100Mbps.

Cropper2018-10-08-18-28-47-2877266.jpg

(4) Going back from this 1.0.0.3 unstable to the 1.0 stable branch, I still saw the Steam cloud icon against the game. I'm not sure what this means, I don't think it caused any issue. (Aside from the confusion over where the files had gone, for some.)

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Some good mentions here, thanks for this ZG
I'll have a chat with the guys and see what the best solution is

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
1 - Side effect of Steams cloud save system. Not much we can do about that without custom implementing cloud saves ourselves using the Steam API.

2 - If you remove snapshots while the game is running it should just remove them from the cloud. The only time you should see sync issues are if you're using offline mode on steam, or do anything on another PC without internet connection or similar.

3 - Agreed, the Steam cloud servers seem to take a long time to do anything with cloud saves, not sure there's anything we can do about this but it shouldn't be a problem for most people just playing the game normally.

4 - That's because cloud saves are enabled across the whole game (you can't enable on a specific branch only) so it's there in the stable version but it's looking for a save folder that doesn't exist until you run unstable.

As a general rule I'd say that power users such as yourself @ZeroGravitas will probably end up disabling cloud saves due to these reasons. However cloud saves are something people have been asking for a lot so this was the way we found to get it to the majority of people. If you're just playing the game inside the game, playing your campaign save and making techs you shouldn't encounter any of these issues I don't think, so for the majority of people they'll never even notice it's there until they try and play their game on another PC and it "just works" :)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
The only time you should see sync issues are if you're using offline mode on steam, or do anything on another PC without internet connection or similar.
Neither of these were the case when I had this conflict. I can try to replicate it, sometime, if you like?

I'd say that power users such as yourself @ZeroGravitas will probably end up disabling cloud saves due to these reasons. However cloud saves are something people have been asking for a lot so this was the way we found to get it to the majority of people.
Absolutely. It's definitely a good feature, which was needed. (I hope it works fine for most players.) And yeah, I've disabled sync with other games, because I prefer to stay in control of backup/archiving manually.:)

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Neither of these were the case when I had this conflict. I can try to replicate it, sometime, if you like?
Please do, Steam should only give the Sync dialogue if something has conflicted, usually from offline mode or playing on two machines at once or something strange

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Please do, Steam should only give the Sync dialogue if something has conflicted, usually from offline mode
I gave it a few more tries with moving/removing/renaming files and folders in snapshots and saves and couldn't replicate a sync error. So maybe I'd accidentally popped into offline mode, or it was a one-off.

I've disabled it now because it genuinely caught me out and re-added a mess of snapshots I'd re-organised and removed. :eek::)

layer1

In 1.1, disabling Steam cloud syncing nearly stopped the .5-1 second freeze I was getting every few minutes (I think when the game would auto save.) Now there's just a slight stutter which is 'normal' for the game. It was also CTD'ing a lot and had audio corruption, but that might have gone away after reinstalling the game and removing some of the files in LowRoaming.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
n 1.1, disabling Steam cloud syncing nearly stopped the .5-1 second freeze I was getting every few minutes
I'm getting 1 second micro-hangs every minute, seems like (keep editing them out of my videos), and I've not had Steam sync enabled for a long while. Not reinstalled the game fully for a while though.

Do you (and did you) have Twitter connected? (That's a good point I'd forgotten I'd reconnected mine... )
? Oh crashing to desktop. Acronyms... Yeah, sounds like the general instability fixed by reinstall issue.

layer1

Twitter's not connected but I don't know when that would have happened. It's probably been a while.

I'm getting 1 second micro-hangs every minute
That's 'normal' for me although it's more like a low fraction of a second after turning Steam sync off.

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Twitter's not connected but I don't know when that would have happened. It's probably been a while.

That's 'normal' for me although it's more like a low fraction of a second after turning Steam sync off.
That's very odd, we have 0 lines of code in game for the steam cloud saving it's all handled by the steam client. As far as I know steam doesn't do any kind of cloud sync while you have any game open so it's highly unlikely that's what's causing it. Could you try turning it back on again and see if the hangs come back? Seems like a coincidence to me but it's good to know if it is causing issues