[1.0.0.1] Explosive Bolts techs (feedback and bugs)

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by ZeroGravitas, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I've been testing out how the new, community sources explosive bolt techs (from this thread) deploy in practice, in campaign. They are randomised, of course so been unable to test them all, but I've seen about a dozen, across a few missions.

I've only been using my old, max level game save (started in 0.7.5), attached for others to try, so I'm not sure if the specific missions are different at plain old GSO level 5 (good save please somebody?). Would they be "Defeat Tech Gang and Defeat Enemy Waves" as stated in the patch notes?

The missions I've seen ex-bolt techs appear in, so far, are:

(1) "Destroy Enemy Army (Neutralise the Enemies)" - probably the best one, as it spawns an ex-bolts tech on it's own, randomised upon entering the mission area (see save, below).

(2) "We've Got Hostiles (Destroy the Enemy Tech group)" - pre-spawned as the middle of a cluster of 5 large techs.

(3) "Hooligans (Dispose of the Hooligans)" - same mission profile as (2).

(a) Feedback - In both of these, the smaller ex-bolt techs look really out of place as the king-pin. Especially as most the others have megatons, sometimes missiles.

Only 'Big Frank' has looked the part, so far, as a large mobile base (with 3 of his 4 small children stuck under his 'skirt'). Note that @zanzistar has taken a (old) version of @-=ROOSTER=-'s tech that's covered in level 5 armour (but it looks good to me, don't see why to exclude it...):

2018-08-30 Big Frank1.jpg

(b) Feedback - It seems kinda superfluous adding more techs to missions 2 & 3, when they already have 5. The explosive bolt deployment is easy to overlook - it's just more enemy explosions.

(c) Bug - The game only only requires you to kill the tech fragment with the primary cab in it - before completing the mission, or triggering the next phase. (e.g. with the Frank tech currently in game, above, one of the small fragments had the primary cab, so I finished that mission without killing the main tech.)

I think that enemy techs may be unable to target the non-primary fragments too (as per this report).

(d) Bug - all the fragments (and mutli-tech parts) that had their main cab pointing straight up or down get stuck in build beam. As per this old report. Kris said he (re)reported it to @Adriano, so maybe there's a fix incoming... But it currently breaks 2 of GKJ's submissions. Including this mutli-tech: the build beam had already pulled it's 'tongue' off, and here it's repeatedly flapping it's lid, stopping it moving, I think (of the AI broke:

I think players would mostly be entertained by the antics, though.

List of the techs I've seen appear in missions so far (only 1 per mission, so a slow grind to look for them all):
    • AtD Triade - ok (bad on hill)
    • The Squad - ok
    • Big Frank - ok
    • 002 [GKJ] - side techs immobilised by BB.
    • Explosive bolt tech5 {2x} - ok (small).
    • Bolt Spawnship - ok, but dropped my FPS to 20 on it's own (mortars).
    • Companion Cube [mine] - explodes disappointingly prematurely.
    • Bank of Joe [mine] - only 2 of 4 turrets anchor (on steep slope), only 1 could turn (due to terrain).
    • Explodey Boi {2x} - ok
    • 00 [GKJ] - multi-tech problems.
    • One Man Biker Gang - ok (highlights shotgun bug - knock back on allied techs).

Attached Files:

#1 ZeroGravitas, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. Revolver265

Revolver265 ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy

I have a good GSO 5 Game save. You'll be able to run it on your computer it seems, judging by your GBC video and how you have it on Fantastic all the time. (My shader cores can do it, but it lowers my FPS from 23 to 18, still playable tho) Just let me know where to find it and I'll upload it.
    Edit: It's still on 0.8.X I believe, but they're in compatability. I still get the defeat enemy legions, but you might have to do some hunting as I usually ignore those. I moved a ways away from a GSO station, but it should still just be across some salt flats and a desert to the Station, and I'm sure your Venture Runabout will take quick care of moving the 1KM between stations.

3. ZeroGravitas

Should be in "C:\Users\[Windows_User]\Documents\My Games\TerraTech\Saves\[Game_User]\Campaign" on Windows (10).

And I'd just tidy up any techs lagging things. Mostly I'd need a decent killing tech that can get to missions easily, or good supply of blocks to spawn my own.:) (I'll not be doing any more testing tonight though, so no rush.)

4. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya ZG, I've logged issue (C) and as you mentioned issue (D) is being investigated by Ade right now, we might have to sadly remove some of the techs that aren't functioning correctly for the time being until we fix some of the underlying issues.

Thanks!

5. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

Cool! Nice to have a confirmation my tech has been added, and yes I noticed the AtD Triade was a bit weak on hills... I could beef it up a bit more with wheels and propellers if the devs would like me to. (Of course this would involve deleting the old tech and adding a newer version instead.)

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  6. Sporked Spoon

Sporked Spoon Well-Known Member

I don't have visual evidence, unfortunately, but enemy bases using explosive bolts seems to break the "Convert Renegade HQ" mission, as destroying the minions broken off from the base seems to count as destroying the base itself, thus failing the mission

7. ZeroGravitas

I didn't think there should be any of those yet... That's what this new thread is for. (Do you have a save if so, so I could take a quick look later?)

But yeah, in theory, if a capture the base tech splits, and a smaller fragmet has the primary cab (first attached), then killing that small fragment will fail the mission. (Or win the mission in the "Kill enemy army", etc missions, above.)

#7 ZeroGravitas, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  8. Sporked Spoon

Sporked Spoon Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, it is possible that the base simply got caught in the crossfire when I was attempting to deal with the guards, one of which had about 10 of those pesky Megatons

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  9. ZeroGravitas

I've only just realised that the techs I was not seeing turning up in missions were the ones submitted later in the thread (I think)... I guess 1.0.0.1 only had the ones you took from part way through the submission process, @zanzistar? Are the rest in 1.0.0.2, now? (No patch note on it, but you never know...)

10. ZeroGravitas

I've just been retesting these mission techs in 1.0.0.3 - it looks like there's techs from the whole thread in the "Enemy Army" population, now.:) I saw my "Crafting Bugs" tech deploy correctly, too :D:

2018-10-13 Crafting Bugs deploy (crazy #numbering).jpg
    I think the fragment numbering system could still do with some tweaking, though. (Somewhat similar to the automatic save game number appending convention.)

There was also this tech by @JimmyBlether spawned (twice in testing), with Megatons and Missiles. I'm not sure what the aim was, but we were instructed to have strictly no level 5 blocks, so I'm not sure if this should have been included or not:

2018-10-13 Splitter 1 (megatons and missiles).jpg

Of course, tech fragments with re-oriented cabs are still getting picked up in build beam repeatedly.

Test save I used is attached, here (very quick and easy).

Attached Files:

#10 ZeroGravitas, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Aardvark123, Galrex and JimmyBlether like this.
  11. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

That's funny seeing my tech. I didn't think it would be added either. Was it an actual threat?

Also the crafting swarm lol.

12. ZeroGravitas

Well, anything with Megatons must be taken seriously. But it wasn't the most deadly tech, at all. I think maybe this one, with the two turrets, had the most firepower and resilience:
    But then nothing's a match for a player with long distance explosive weapons.

#12 ZeroGravitas, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    JimmyBlether likes this.
  13. JimmyBlether

Ok. In the case of the thread where these techs were posted, do you think it is alright to add more?
    That tech was slapped together for fun and is better with broadside attacks.

14. ZeroGravitas

Hey, I'm not going to stop you. But be advised that Kris likes to bulk add techs, for efficiency and whatnot, so there's no guarantee they'll even be added. They may or may not want any more, I don't know.

NotExactlyHero and JimmyBlether like this.
  15. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya ZG, I'll bump the bug ticket about AI being stuck in build beam when created with rotated cabs.
    Actually that should already be fixed already, I guess the fix didn't make it on to the previous build for some reason, I'll take a look.

I've actually not noticed the naming issue before, does it happen with all techs for you?
    My guess is that it only happens with multi techs that have numbers already in the name.

I'll chase about the level 5 block issue :)

Cheers!

#15 kae, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    JimmyBlether likes this.
  16. JimmyBlether

Can we post more in the thread?

17. ZeroGravitas

Hmmm... Mayb... Actually, it doesn't look like it:

2018-10-15 Splitter - track team.jpg

I think it's related to the block grid topology and the order in which the explosive bolts trigger. The splits have to be dealt with in some sequence, so won't actually happen simultaneously. And my expectation is that it will happen in the order the explosive bolt blocks were spawned in, during the original building of the tech.

Anyway, if all the fragments split directly off from the main tech part (in parallel), they will just get one #2, like this:

2018-10-15 Splitter names - tony swarm.jpg

But when they form a chain (in series), the parts splitting off a part that already split off the main part will get another "#2" appended.

It's also possible to get a "#3" added, apparently...:

2018-10-15 Splitter 1 2 3.jpg

Also, while I was testing this, I got the 'new campaign instead of save load' bug a few times, of course.

18. JimmyBlether

Wut. That tonyswarm tho.Th

AND MY TECH APPEARED AGAIN!!!???

19. ZeroGravitas

I saw it 2 times out of about 40 reload instances.

Galrex and JimmyBlether like this.