[1.0.0.1] Auto-mined resource explosion on return

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by ZeroGravitas, Sep 2, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

It seems that, at the range of ~500m, techs (specifically Auto-miners, here) can remain loaded in world and functional, e.g. spawning newly mined chunks. However, the resource chunks themselves are almost immediately unloaded from the world (or something occurs with that effect).

The problem that this unloading range inconsistency creates is that very many resources end up stored in precisely the same physical space. So when player moves a little bit closer, they all get reloaded simultaneously to find themselves intersecting, and subsequently explode everywhere (if quite a lot have built up):

(Save attached.)

Context: I'd been reloading my saves from my last YouTube episode (filmed in 0.8.2), investigating how my auto-mining base had managed to make a (fairly wide spread) mess of resources on the ground, when there's no way that the auto-bricking base should have been overwhelmed by the max rate of 4 chunks every 10 seconds (from the 4 auto-miners there).

I reconfigured the bricker and travelled back to my mesa base (500m away). The auto-bricker you see in the video and save is a broken design, unable to pick up more resources, it was unloaded from the game anyway. I stayed up at the mesa for the best part of an hour, fiddling with new bricker designs on the Rodite seam. Then when I returned (by 'fast travel'), the explosion occurred. Note it also happens if you fly back over, or inch back just inside loading range.

It looks to me (having approached from different angles) that the resources explode out from the ground slightly down the slope from the auto-miners. Implying that they were allowed to roll away from them a little upon being spawned, living for ~1 second before being unloaded.

I'd urge the range on this resource chunk unloading to be bumped up a little, in line with the maximum tech unloading range.

I'm not sure of the span of ranges over which this glitch can occur (I didn't stay totally still up there, so I'd estimate it's at least 50m or so). A big area of probability, in a circle that size. The issue certainly seems likely to reoccur in the next episode I want to film (so potentially very problematic for me); I'm intending to focus on simultaneous auto-mining operations in multiple different, but adjacent, biomes, within a 500m radius, probably pushing up to this distance limit. It's not meant to be anything super clever, just playing the game as intended, trying to avoid creating resource lag-pools, or having to just leave the game afk at each mining base for hours, while resources slowly accumulate.

Edit: I'm going to tag @Django, as he responded on a somewhat similar issue I reported previously (and he loves to be pestered about little technical issues ;)).

Attached Files:

#1 ZeroGravitas, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    AstraTheDragon likes this.
  2. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya ZG, I've not managed to get an exact repro of your issue on a clean save over here, but your save repros every time, can you confirm these were the repro steps that caused this issue to appear?

1. Set up autominer base
    2. Travelled ~500m away
    3. Leave game running for about an hour
    4. Fast travel back to the base

Cheers!

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

4 Isn't necessary, just shows the result more dramatically. But otherwise, yeah.

The distance has to be right such that the the auto-miner are loaded in, but right on the cusp of being unloaded I think.

The processing base right next to them, just down the slope was actually unloaded most of the time, I think. Which doesn't entirely make sense to me, as it's pretty much equidistant. Maybe auto-miners are less likely to be unloaded?

I'm wondering if the terrain geometry is important... Like that little bit of roll-away from the auto-miners was essential to trigger them unloading...? (Not necessarily making them any further from player, but maybe...)

It might be a little more niche than I expected.

kae likes this.
  4. Django

Django PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Without having loaded up your save, that's my suspicion yes. Say your autominer is right on the edge of the loaded world. Every resource it spits out rolls down the slope along roughly the same path. Before settling on the ground, it rolls to outside of the loaded world and is instantly unloaded (it has to - otherwise it would roll over into non-physics area). Now it doesn't know about all the other resources before it that travelled the same path, that got stored and unloaded all at the same approximate point.
    When the tile loads, suddenly all these resources are overlapping, hence the explosion.

I'll load up your save tomorrow to confirm. Sounds like it should be pretty niche, but obviously still a bug. Not immediately straight forward what a decent fix would be.

AstraTheDragon, kae and ZeroGravitas like this.
  5. ZeroGravitas

I didn't assume that to be the whole story because the slope is perpendicular to my base, so the rolling resources stay roughly the same distance away. They also only travelled a couple of meters (I got a better look at the exact origin point approaching from further along the mesa).

But obviously I don't know how the unloading mechanism works; it doesn't seem to quite be pure radial distance based. (Plus there's the 'hysteresis' effect obscuring things a little.) Is there a world tile or other effect in play? Or some kind of average position over time effect, or...?

6. Django

Django PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Yeah, that's exactly what happens.

Here's a little gifv of it: https://imgur.com/a/G9JoxQa
    The green and yellow tiles are the borders of a loaded and unloaded tile respectively.

When that tile comes into range and is loaded, it looks like this:
    ResourcesOnTileEdge.png
    Resources.png

I'm sure you can imagine what the physics decides to do with that next ;)

AstraTheDragon, ZeroGravitas and kae like this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

Oh, oops, my first mining base was right on two world tile seams... (Hadn't checked.)

So resources (and techs) are unloaded immediately as they hit the boarder with an unloaded tile?

How come my processing tech was unloaded, but the auto-miners weren't? Are techs unloaded if any part of them overhangs an unloaded tile? (And the top right tile would have been unloaded, while the bottom left wasn't?)

Looks like a folding at home molecular simulation... (Or a very worrying stool sample.)

Galrex and AstraTheDragon like this.
  8. Django

Django PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Yup and yup.
    It's not an ideal system, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

It's one of the more fundamental systems of TT and has a tendency to create nasty problems (like this one) that are limitations of the system. We can add workarounds to make it less of an issue (such as unloading techs that overlap any unloaded tile) but they merely shift the line.

kae, ZeroGravitas and AstraTheDragon like this.