[0.8.x] Tech can't fire weapons while reversing

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by Captain Load, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

I never see this problem when I first start a game - it takes a while to show up. I usually first notice this bug during one of those "open crate, mob appears" missions around the time I have L2-3 with at least two corps. I'll try to fire weapons while reversing and game will refuse to do both at same time. Usually saving and reloading will fix it but not always. I'm attaching a save where the foes were about to come at me and I couldn't back up, but after reloading it a second time it did let me fire while reversing.

Attached Files:

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Definitely not a keyboard/input issue of some kind on you machine/OS?

3. Captain Load

Don't see how. It works fine for a while, and as I said, reloading the save often fixes it. I have no other key combo issues.

4. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member

I am have this issue with my new keyboard and never had it with the old one that broke, however it is definitely a keyboard and is definitely related to 3-key simultaneous push when one of them is a spacebar. What I've done for time being is remapped fire all weapons to Ctrl as modifier keys usually separate channel and it works without trouble currently. Try remapping to Ctrl too and see if that helps.

I will probably buy another PS/2 keyboard soon, those USB ones no good.

5. Captain Load

I already remap all action buttons so its not that.

6. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya Captain Load, can I ask what keys you have bound to which buttons you are pressing while you are having this issue?

This is most likely a hardware issue as the others have mentioned, when this happens it is called 'ghosting', this can be avoided by binding certain commands to different keys or by buying a keyboard with a higher key press count (N-KRO(N-Key rollover))

Here is a web page that has a more in-depth look at key ghosting and key rollover
    https://www.keyboardco.com/blog/ind...nti-ghosting-and-choosing-the-right-keyboard/

7. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

I've already have this issu in an another game (surgeon simulator) press i hold 2 or 3 fingers , every others key aren't count , but i didnt really see this problem in the comment section , so i guess my keyboard isn't "ggod" enough , maybe it's the same thing for OP.

Try with an another keyboard maybe ? for see itf yo ucan hold more or less key.

8. Captain Load

Forward = NUM8
    Left = NUM4
    Right = NUM6
    Back = NUM5
    Thrusters = Keyp ENTER
    Fire weapons = Right

I've had minor ghosting issues in the past but this is a full-on conflict. First off, we're only talking about TWO keys being depressed. I've never encountered ghosting with only two keys. Also, if it was ghosting then I would be seeing other combos not working as well. I can be firing weapons or be moving backwards and then if press the other command the tech stops reversing. I can reverse while turning with no issues. Only when I add the fire command do I encounter the problem and it only started with the 0.8.x series. I probably should have mentioned that last part earlier..just putting it in the title doesn't really spell that out.

ZeroGravitas and AstraTheDragon like this.
  9. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Very strange, can I ask what operating system you are using?
    Also can I ask if you've tested this on another game(preferably a unity game)?

I'd like to rule out any driver issues or operating system issues.

Cheers!

10. Captain Load

I haven't played another Unity game in quite a while but I never had any control problems that I noticed (other than stupid artificial limits on what keys could be remapped). I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on 180gb SSD, AMD Radeon 300 series GPU, 16 gb RAM, Intel i5.

11. Marxon

Marxon Well-Known Member

Tested this on my end, from what I've uncovered it is mutual exclusivity between the inputs for reverse, boost, and fire weapons. Currently you can only pick 2 of the 3 to use in the order they are pressed, going forward is not affected though. Tested with ground and air techs and it seems to just ignore the third input. Tested on both a wireless keyboard and a laptop's built in keyboard to eliminate possibility of n-key rollover.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

I was going to ask for this. Thanks.

But given that most of us don't see this problem, could you tell us more about your setup? Windows (version)? Etc. Maybe upload a DxDiag ouput.

13. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hey there, I still believe this to be a hardware issue, can you post a link to the keyboard you are using to test this please?

I don't think you're quite understanding what N-KRO actually is, as a laptop will almost certainly not have a high key rollover and wireless keyboard would be quite unlikely to have a high count either.

An amazon link is fine if you can't find the exact manufacturers web page.

For example,

"I'm using a Razer DeathStalker keyboard (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Deat...36769493&sr=8-7&keywords=razer+widow+keyboard)

It has 10 key rollover and I'm not seeing this issue"

AstraTheDragon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  14. Marxon

Marxon Well-Known Member

It is very unlikely to be a N-KRO issue seeing how only reversing is affected, going forwards or pressing other keys works just fine. You can definitely press shift, space, W, and even S or D... and have all commands be input properly.

15. ZeroGravitas

Granted, but could you (all) still let the devs know what keyboards are being used? In case there's another common factor (and to humour them).