[0.8.2] Two bugs: R&D has shiny floor, Tread marks can fly.

Revolver265

ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy
First: After leaving the R&D Chamber on overnight, I woke up to a normal R&D chamber. I played for a little while and then changed the gamma to match my darkened room. Suddenly things were bright. The techs and everything else (such as the blocks, Venture quest entrances, and monuments) were darkened like expected. Restarting the game fixed things.
Second: Treads can float a little bit. I was landing an aircraft and the treads had a little slope. (This image contains the literal snowblindness that was the aformentioned bug.) There's not much I can do to talk about it, it's just that wheels can do a little treading before hitting the ground. Sometimes the Venture POD cab can also leave tread marks. I don't know why.
Things that may help:
I have an Alienware M11X R3 (i7-2617M, GT 540M 2GB). It was recently overclocked before returning to its normal clock speed, because the GPU clock was "metastable" and could destabilize. Tests with games showed results that after a while they could graphically freeze, although sound and control of the game was unaffected. This never occured with TerraTech, the clock remained stable after leaving the computer on awhile. The CPU was overclocked, but I don't think that's an issue.
Other Notes: The last image contains the lighting issue in contrast with the diffused and darkened surroundings. The tech in question isn't mine - it's the GK Elf B, available on the Steam Workshop. TerraTech uses only 4GB of RAM in my computer. I have 8GB installed. My motherboard was originally supposed to support only 4GB total, but I got 8GB inside because I installed an x64 system. TerraTech uses only 4GB of my 8GB DDR3 RAM. View attachment 22934 20180713191408_1.jpg 20180713192125_1.jpg
Edits: Made titles bold for ease of reading. I'm fairly certain the R&D chamber is supposed to be diffuse normally. And correct me if I'm wrong in using the term "diffuse" in describing a matte/satin texture that is the opposite of reflective/glossy.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
then changed the gamma to match my darkened room. Suddenly things were bright. The techs and everything else (such as the blocks, Venture quest entrances, and monuments) were darkened like expected. Restarting the game fixed things.
Can you cause this to re-occur? If so, can you give us a screenshot of your graphics settings screen please (to see what else you have set)?

PC hardware specs shouldn't really matter, but you could provide a DxDiag.exe output file if you like. There might be a chance something in the system setup might be affecting things. I'm assuming you're on Windows (which version if so)? And are up to date with graphics drivers, etc?

Revolver265

ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy
I run Windows 10 although this laptop's support ended at 8.1 . I'll leave it on overnight again and see if I can get the shiny floor thing to happen again. With the fact that I have an "unsupported" version of Windows, drivers may be a little wonky. If anything's changed, I'm using BIOS A04 instead of A05 to make Alienware Command Center work, and to cause the fans to kick up sooner and more often when I'm playing for better cooling. I'll flash the BIOS to A05 after this and report if anything changed overnight. My diagnostics info is attached. If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not worried if my laptop's lights go out (the keyboard is all I'm worried about, and the backlight is already broken) so upgrading to the new BIOS shouldn't worry me too much.

Attachments

Revolver265

ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy
After leaving the computer on for about two hours and trying to change the gamma (in two different tests) I wasn't able to recreate the issue. I tried resetting the gamma, but nothing happened. I officially consider this a one-time glitch and I doubt it'll happen again. If this happens again, I'll just relog. I'll scour around the internet for newer drivers for my card, but that's about all I can do at this time. If it does happen again, I'll just relog. Meanwhile... I have some other bugs to report.