[0.8.2 and before] Conveyor can't be replaced like they was [Resolved]

Discussion in 'TT Stable & Console Bugs' started by DrShadox, Jul 10, 2018.

1. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Hi and sorry for this messy title , this is a clip for show you what i mean :
    https://clips.twitch.tv/PlayfulMushyOwlYee

As you can see , when you have a single "tech" and move conveyor you can't always replace it like that was without be forced to rebuild the moste part , in this little exemple in the clip , the issue happen each time we try , resulting in 2 techs instead of 1 and breaking the conveyor "line".

Maybe it can be merged to this topic but i'm not sure at all so i've make a new topic about that for now.
    https://forum.terratechgame.com/ind...-detached-and-drop-chunks-on-base-spawn.16738

2. the.nihilist

the.nihilist Semiprofessional Idler

i know the issue. From what i understand once you take that conveyor away both anchored parts are treated as a separate tech and you can't connect that again. But this doesn't only concern conveyors, but all blocks. Once you split the connection in a tech with 2 blocks that let it be a standalone tech (cabs/anchors/manufacturing blocks), those become 2 techs This is less a bug than a necessity i think.

The workaround solution to the problem was for me to modularize different steps in production and instead rather connect several modules with a dropper and a simple receiver. Or make sure there are other connections before removing the block by bracing the 'breaking point' with another block if needed.

ZeroGravitas and Khaine like this.
  3. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

That was my solution to the problem as well. I'd like for devs to implement the opposite of the "explosive disconnector" thingie (which is fairly useless, in my opinion) and go with a "non explosive handshaker", that lets two different techs reconnect into a single entity.

But I've made enough suggestion to drown a roomful of devs, so I'll just save this one for later. :D

the.nihilist likes this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Yeah, this is just tech splitting as intended. Not a bug.

If the other half of that tech hadn't been anchored (and didn't have a cab) then it would have disintegrated and you'd have to had to click Undo. You should always be careful not to split your techs in half.

Unfortunately it's common practice for players to pin out their crafting bases directly on the Salt Flats, which means this problem does happen quite a lot without players realising there's been a split. Maybe a game design improvement would be to announce the splitting more loudly, and draw the eye to the new tech icon that has appeared (and the Undo button, since it is the only way to rejoin the two halves).

I've marked the thread as "resolved".

#4 ZeroGravitas, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

I see but i'ts more a pain for me than a feature (and i think i'm not alone lol) , if it's wanted for what you said , i think we should have a keyboard shortcut for have the choice to fix a build or for split a tech.

6. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Tech merging of some sort would definitely be a nice feature (that I'm pretty sure the devs want to implement, if/when they are able). But having special blocks to dock techs together, for instance, wouldn't remedy this problem (e.g. before those blocks are available).

This is a failure of players to intuitively grasp the fundamental mechanics of the game (or the game design to communicate them): the block grid is locked to techs which are, fundamentally, mobile entities in a world of continuous terrain. There's no world grid, like in Factorio, Terraria or Minecraft; just because conveyors look adjacent, doesn't mean they should be connected (unless part of the same tech).

rdoom2003 and AstraTheDragon like this.