[0.8.2.2][Feeedback] New Music :(

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by Lost Ninja, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

It might be new and more interesting than it was in the past but it's still an annoying repetitive thing. Might be great while driving around but while sitting in one place it's just playing the same thing over and over.

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

The new music is certainly an improvement and I too find that it does encourage one to continue moving; offering a better overall "rhythm". Though, perhaps post 1.0 each biome could have its own music track to add diversity and encourage players to fully explore the in-game terrain would be a beneficial improvement.

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

In terms of buggy behaviour - fight musics start only when an enemy is targeting *your tech*. So:
    • If the two enemies right in front of you are slightly closer to each other - no music. Then music, then no music, then music, etc, as you drive around closer to them.
    • If your AI tech is fighting an enemy right in front of you - no music.

I like the subtly different biome musics. I think they'd be innocuous enough to leave them on fairly quiet for one quick playthrough. But agreed that it is unfortunate that you will get one of them *all the time*, in whatever biome you choose to set up base (better hope people like the Salt Flats jingle!).

I've added "[0.8.2.2]" to the thread title.

#3 ZeroGravitas, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Lord Zarnox and AstraTheDragon like this.
  4. Lost Ninja

Apologies this was intended as feedback as opposed to an actual "bug".

5. ZeroGravitas

Sorry, should i have started a separate thread? I was just being lazy and throwing all the music related info together (seeing as I'd already mentioned issues on the release announcement thread - also arguable as to bug or not).

They do. (At least when I tested them in Creative mode last night.)

6. Lost Ninja

Moderator mod thyself? ;)

IMO In biomes especially the music should fade in when you first enter the biome and then fade to nothing, though ambient sound effects would sell the different biomes really well as well. And as enemy techs get stuck even if they are shooting at you they might not be doing any damage, looping the enemy attacking music is pure hell after about ten minutes and when I'm in the middle of rebuilding my GCU (should be GPU but that has connotations outside of the game besides it is a General Contact Unit... heck that's what this game needs effector based weapons and knife missiles... ;)) I really don't want to have to break off and kill a tiny critter tech that is shooting at me through a hill.

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

That's what cluster missiles are for... ;)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  8. ZeroGravitas

Oh, did anyone else notice little hangs (AKA "lag") just before new music starts?

Zed likes this.
  9. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Nope no lag for me as i've see.

Btw , some game "wait' few secondes (5 ?) before switch music , mostly for avoid switch-spam of music theme, i think Devs should try something like that (of cours i speak about biome music , because some fight can be extremly short lol)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  10. ZeroGravitas

I think that transition smoothing/delays are needed even more so with fight music.

It's particularly bad when attacking with a plane or VTOL, starting, stopping and switching to a different fight track every few seconds.

The fight music shouldn't stop when the tech targeting you switches targets. It should continue while that tech is still alive and within 200m, at least. With a second or two delay before cancelling, even then, to allow smooth transition to 'threat music' triggered by any tech(s) it was fighting to aggro onto you. Or any new techs you've stumbled into.

#10 ZeroGravitas, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  11. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Old Old issue that one, yes....

12. ZeroGravitas

Oh so you thing setting music volume to zero *actually* disables playback altogether and no longer loads the music...? (I was wonder if I've always seen little hangs but not realised they are associated with (silent) track changes.)

13. Lost Ninja

I routinely switch music off in all games I play, with very few exceptions (basically Swiv3D & Audio Surf), and I've never noticed these "micro" hangs.

14. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

To be clear, I noticed this long ago when trying to eek out every possible frame from my laptop while playing TerraTech back in the day; since the tower I purchased last autumn seems to not experience these micropauses due to music tracks I suspect it could be a difference in "seek times" between an old HDD vs modern Solid State.

15. DaveDexterMusic

DaveDexterMusic Well-Known Member
    Beta Member

Well, please don't in TerraTech - it's rad as hell! :cool:

kae, ZeroGravitas and AstraTheDragon like this.
  16. ZeroGravitas

It's very good, for game music.:) (Although, personally, I can't even listen to my most favourite songs back to back.)

May I ask: how long did it take you to work up all the tracks and record them?

17. DaveDexterMusic

Beta Member

Thanks! Although I don't go for the "game music" distinction. It was simply the coolest stuff I could think of - TT's design and gameplay made it easy to want to write cool music, but I wouldn't have written it differently for another context.

Timescale . . . the GSO Theme (what you've been listening to for nearly four years now, and in the trailers) was recorded in about a week. I did some test pieces, that section caught the team's ear, and I sent revisions back and forth until it was finalised. OTOH Terroika, the Xmas music, was written and recorded in about five hours. Timescale differs between the pieces. The most full-on was a couple of months back, they asked if I wanted to write a bunch of new action music on a pretty short deadline. Cue recording guitar riffs into my iphone and rushed emails, ended up recording seven tracks in a week or so. They turned out as some of my favourites :)

AstraTheDragon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  18. ZeroGravitas

Heh, yeah. I know roughly how that goes; my biggest YouTube vid was a bit of a whim I knocked out in a week. Quick for me, usually at least 2 weeks to several months...

Thanks for the inside info.:) I feel like we should 'interview' you about other random game related stuff, sometime. (Somewhere more suitable.) And other members of the production team, too... Just for curiosity. You ever likely to be on a live stream? (In the office.)

19. DaveDexterMusic

Beta Member

If someone wants to interview me, I won't complain. I've been on the live stream once about three years back, unfortunately it's a trek to get to London for that purpose alone . . . unless they can broadcast my iPhone or something from my studio as I mess about on the various instruments.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  20. Lost Ninja

The only game music that I think is rad as hell (though isn't hell hot?) are C64 chip tunes (or remixes thereof kwed.org), even music that I like in games (like the vocal score for some parts of WoW) I seldom listen to more than once. And Swiv3D only gets a mention as the sound track has 3 very good IMO trance tracks two of which are pretty much what got me into Trance in the first place. Hallucinogen (Simon Posford).

So nothing against your music it's just not my thing sorry. :(