[0.8.1] Wheels get stuck randomly

Discussion in 'Bugs (Stable Only)' started by QuackDuck, May 24, 2018.

1. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

As title. This happened before when going up very steep cliffs, but never on normal terrain, and never has it lasted this long without fixing itself.

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

You mean the suspension doesn't drop back down?

Yeah, I noticed the wheel position doesn't always update and left clicking quickly will reset them. Lathland was experiencing this in his latest video, today, but was taking them off entirely to 'fix' them.

3. Voideka

Voideka Well-Known Member

Using Behemoth Wheels in R&D I destroyed and drove over the resource area, which caused the suspension on the Behemoth Wheels to change orientation from up/down to left/right.

I am able to repeat this consistently in this area, however simply driving over the rumble strips on the other side of the R&D chamber does not seem to have this effect. I believe this is either because of the collisions, or from driving over the resource chunks, which provide a more challenging terrain due to their movement.

A video demonstration can be found here:

Windows 10

Benbacon likes this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

Benbacon likes this.
  5. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

[​IMG]
    Seems to be caused by running over Venture base slabs, like the 100m vertical climb.
    Might also happen with other wheels.
    Removal and re-add fixes it, but with a vehicle with 16 wheels save/load is faster.

6. ZeroGravitas

I've merged @Deutsche Würfel's new thread titled "Broken Springer wheels", from the "TT Unstable" section, with this existing thread on the same, general, wheel bug.

While here, I'll note that @DerNiepe showed me that the front wheels on a tech will tend to spin backwards when player's pushing the tech against a transition to a steep incline. (Wheels be messed up at the moment, with ground clipping, wonky asymetrical steering, etc too.)

Edit 2018-06-13: see also:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 2:51 PM
    Benbacon likes this.
  7. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Well-Known Member

I have had cases where the Behemoth wheel orientation flips entirely (upwards rather than downwards) and the same thing sometimes even affects GC Middle Tracks which stop giving any support or traction. It makes things difficult when you're trying to drive a rather large mobile base through mountains...

Benbacon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  8. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hi guys, we should have this one already logged, but I've added all your extra info onto our report, so hopefully we can get this one sorted soon.

Thanks!

Benbacon, QuackDuck and ZeroGravitas like this.
  9. Sporked Spoon

Sporked Spoon Well-Known Member

Strange thing I've noticed while playing through a new save, it seems sometimes certain wheels (possibly all of them) suddenly go limp or "dead". So far I've seen this in the GSO Dirt wheels, GEO Jaws wheels, and even in GEO's tank tracks:

20180617011953_1.jpg (middle tread wheel should not be hanging to the left like that)

While at first this seems like a simple visual bug, it really isn't. Letting it be and then gaining 2 or 3 "dead" wheels does start to affect your Tech's performance, as the dead wheels are dragged along instead of helping the normal ones push your Tech forward.

Also, after some testing, I've come up with a theory that the wheels "dying" is caused by getting jostled around too much from driving over rubble from destroyed rocks. However, I'm not at all certain of this.

Aardvark123 and ZeroGravitas like this.
  10. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Similar issue HERE.

Yes, it is caused by going over too many bumps. This happened before when going up steep cliffs, but never on normal terrain until 0.8 was released. I suspect it has something to do with the wheel vibration fix.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  11. ZeroGravitas

I've just merged @Sporked Spoon's new thread (from TT Unstable section), titled: "[0.8.1.1] "Dead" Wheels" with this existing one on the same issue that the devs have got logged already. (And are hopefully prioritising a fix for, because it's massively prevalent, irritating and unavoidable.)

Same, I would say.:) (They should make you a mod so you can merge these yourself, @QuackDuck.;))

Ahh, that makes sense - I hadn't noticed that the jittering has stopped.

12. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

It's not completely stopped in some cases. Rubble is a big culprit.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  13. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Well-Known Member

Just for fun, take a look what happens to the wheel when you do a 360 turn in build beam. It can be mystifying to some and enlightening to others... ;) It is particularly visible with Behemoth wheels.