[0.8.1] Reward blocks despawn when dropped blocks don't

Discussion in 'Bugs (Stable Only)' started by ZeroGravitas, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I'm only going from watching this YouTube video footage (and the commentary), but it looks like the HE quest blocks got de-spawned while the blocks littered all around them from tech destruction mostly remained in place. (And they were largely dropped before the crate opened.)

Crate drop at 17m26s.
    Cropper2018-06-27-12-58-46-1738580.jpg

Return to the same spot at 18:59.
    Cropper2018-06-27-13-00-29-3137736.jpg

I don't know if there's supposed to be an order or precedence, or a default 'first down, first despawned' policy? (Or the reverse?) But either way, I'd think that these quest rewards should have remained, especially given that the blocks around did. Certainly it's worst for them to have vanished than the enemy's parts. Maybe something should be tweaked or refined there. I think it would be sensible to prioritise one's own tech parts too, if that's not already a thing already.

DrShadox, Twigjack and harpo99999 like this.
  2. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya ZG, the blocks are currently only set to despawn when the count hits a certain limit and then they are despawn by age, once the reward blocks are claimed from the chest they act like any other block and are liable to be despawned.

The only exception to this is if you have an anchored tech nearby, where no blocks in an AOE will be despawned.

As annoying as it is for Z1 gaming to lose those new blocks, he could have avoided losing them by not opening the chest until all enemies were defeated as the chest does not despawn, or by sticking down an SCU, where all blocks would also be transferred to his inventory.

In the video linked I can't clearly see if the blocks older than the reward blocks were kept alive longer than the reward blocks, especially since there are video cuts, if you have some more video where this happens, please let me know and I'll take a look at it.

Cheers!

3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Yeah, I thought that was supposed to be the behaviour, but I don't think it's what's seen in practice (here).

Hence my 2 screenshots (one immediately after crate opening, one on return to the same spot). Here, I'll highlight the constellation of debris blocks that, laid out together, make it vanishingly unlikely to be new blocks of the same type and approximate layout (dropped after crate contents spawned):

[​IMG]
    Full resolution.

1 = GC Wheel. 2 = GC long. 3 = GC small. 4 = GC large. 5 = Venture Globe Trotters (and assorted GSO 1s and 2s).

Now, clearly some have also gone, and the reminders are not in exactly the same positions, so presumably an enemy tech drove into them. Maybe contact refreshes their 'age'? Presumably not (as blocks tend to move by themselves. due to game physics). Or damage to the blocks refreshes them...?

What I thought more likely is that new drops a put into a data array with isn't re-sorted, so newer blocks might be filed before older ones (when some loose blocks have been picked up or destroyed). So that they may commonly be de-spawned out of order, in a way apparently non-deterministic, as far as player is concerned.

A pretty long way down the long list of bug priorities to look at, of course, and I think this is going to be horrible to test definitively (so I'll not bother for now).