[0.8.1] Freezes then closes without crash report

11er33

Jun 14, 2018
Just what it says in the title. In the middle of doing anything (It happens at random, different time, place, and action) the game will freeze, with the music still playing in the background. After a little clicking and button mashing the game will come back under control for a few seconds then close without a crash report. If I try to resume the game after reopening, the same thing happens immediately after the game starts.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Thanks for your report, @11er33. Sorry to hear about these bad problems.

Even though the game doesn't make a full crash dump, it should still be logging information in it's output_log.txt file. Be great if you could upload that (after a crash):
If the game crashes out (without locking up too badly), it should create a crash dump folder, named by date and time, containing an "crash.dmp" and "error.log" file. In the following location:
"C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Payload\TerraTech"

Please Zip the appropriate crash folder and drag-drop it onto the post you are writing, to attach it.

Even if the game doesn't crash or make a crash folder, the "output_log.txt" contains helpful telemetry data for the devs. It is wiped and overwritten each time you re-start the game.
Are you running Windows? 10?

Have you tried verifying the integrity of the game files, via Steam's game properties? Beter than this, have you (or can you) try fully uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

Do your crashes happen in campaign mode? Or elsewhere? Is it just that one save file that does it, not a fresh one? (Can you upload that, here, too?)

This is a guess, but have you see any weird duplication of any techs? i.e. this bug, which can cause crashes and won't be fixed by the above steps.

11er33

Jun 14, 2018
I am running windows 10, Core i7 processor, amd rx580 8gb gpu, 12gb ram 3000mhz this happens in campaign, and I have done all of the above steps before. I checked the crash dump file, it hasn't been edited since January. This eventually happens to all save files, not just old ones. No duplication either.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
I checked the crash dump file, it hasn't been edited since January.
Did you definitely look in this directory: "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\LocalLow\Payload\TerraTech"? There will be an old Output_log.txt file left in the old directory too, after the recent change of directories.

I have done all of the above steps before.
Oh, sorry, have you reported this already on Steam forum? (Your name was familiar, but I forget...)

This seems like a bad problem @kae, @Adriano, @Sammi - is it likely one of the crashes the coders have already been prioritising?

11er33

Jun 14, 2018
I have searched in both the locallow and and the steam directories and there are no new crash files.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Mar 7, 2018
The coders look through the reports sent by the in-game crash reporter periodically so if that was sent successfully they should have seen it at some point.

Without an email or a time of crash to match the report to I can't easily find the specific report on our system though so I cant say for sure/raise it though.