[0.8.1.3] Techs frozen beyond 200m come alive when looking away

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by ZeroGravitas, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

You can see the big tech here fires at the little one to the left only when I look away, then makes a like a statue when I turn the camera back around...

I'm not sure how deliberate this behaviour is, hence making a thread. It almost seems the wrong way around... Unless the goal is to have enemies, that you thought were immobilised, sneak up behind you (and kill your allied techs, etc)...?

Not the exact cat gif I was looking for, but this'll do.:)

Save attached of this in play with different techs on the opposite side. mannequin challenge

Attached Files:

#1 ZeroGravitas, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Galrex likes this.
  2. Dynamix

Dynamix Do you want to have a GOOD time?

Weeping Techs in TerraTech?
    No thanks.

3. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

Same thing happens when you use camera zoom, which isn't really zoom but just moves the camera closer to your tech.

So it's not about distance to player tech, it is distance from camera.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

o_O [Mind is blown.] :eek: No way! I'm gonna check, but you're right, aren't you... That's so messed up.:confused: Trying to processes the implications...

[Edit: yes, confirmed. So if you're trying to escape a dangerous enemy hitting you from long range, it's best to look straight at him and zoom out, to freeze him significantly sooner.]

It's the same with the render distance - that could really do with being keyed to the tech's location, rather than having distant scenery popping in and out of view as you pan and move the camera POV closer/further. Well, at least view positioning no longer lets you spawn free blocks...

#4 ZeroGravitas, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  5. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member

To be honest, disabling/limiting any stuff within the rendering distance and/or linking it to the player/camera is damaging to the atmosphere and the world. I am against the 200m rule alltogether.

Things like this create the roller-coaster kind of atmosphere and further reduce the living world simulation. And Terratech is very roller-coaster at the moment. Linking simulation to player camera is even worse.

ZeroGravitas and harpo99999 like this.
  6. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hey guys, It looks like this is by design, the AI techs are set to fall asleep when leaving a radius set around the player, I believe this was to stop techs outside the player vicinity from being a burden on your machines.

In some situations if you pay attention to the techs on the edge of your player radius you can manipulate them as you are doing in the video or to escape faster, and as much as it breaks immersion it'll have to be something we can look at suggesting to the designers after we release.

Cheers!

7. ZeroGravitas

I believe that everyone here already knows and understands that (debatable a choice as it is).

But this report is pointing out that the 200m radius is from the camera's POV, not your focused tech. Hence the weirdness observed, as the rotating view moves the camera location significantly closer/further. You got that, right?

#7 ZeroGravitas, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  8. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly this is a facet of "optimization" to improve framerates paving the way for underpowered original ps4 / xb1 consoles; as anything within the "activity" distance of 550m radius should be persistently kicking especially for the PC version.

9. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Ah right you are, I blame the kitty video for distracting me :p

There should be no reason why the radius isn't set around the tech and is attached to the player camera, had a chat with code and they confirmed this shouldn't be due to any technical reason.

I'll get it logged. Cheers!

AstraTheDragon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  10. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

Excuse the necro @kae but do you know if this has been fixed since being logged? I can't seem to find anything in any patch notes. If it's been changed I'll need to update the Wiki. Thanks! And yes that cat video is quite ensnaring...

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  11. ZeroGravitas

I just loaded my save, attached in top post, and there's no change to the behaviour - distance still centred on camera POV.

AstraTheDragon likes this.
  12. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Not been changed yet AFAIK.

We've avoided working on things that could potentially have broken more things for our 1.0 release, but now that we've gotten past that milestone we'll be looking to fix a lot more of these bugs :)

If I'm in the office at the time the bug gets merged to unstable I'll be sure to let you know here or ask Jamie/Saiwun to include it on the patch notes for you.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  13. ZeroGravitas

Can you ask them just to put *everything* in the patch notes plx.;)

Yay, lots of new side-effect bugs!

Galrex and AstraTheDragon like this.