[0.8.1.3] Enemy spawning idiosyncracies

Discussion in 'TT Unstable (Bugs & Feedback)' started by ZeroGravitas, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Maybe some of these are undesired behaviours, I'm not sure. I can envision reasoning behind each, but maybe it's time to tweak some...

This report stems from this thread by @Redlegdaddy, where he rightly identified that all spawn activity ceases if you stay still. Even if you kill all the spawns around you (e.g. with long range weapons, like Avalanche launcher missiles) no more spawn. You then need to move beyond 100m or switch techs (on the spot) in order to end the spawning drought.

I've summarised more findings in this reply:
    For example, I'd suggest tweaking the spawn algorithm so that it spawns all around with even odds while you are stationary (for extended periods). Rather than biasing strongly to in front of your selected tech.

Other tweaks I'm not so sure about, since there's positive and negative consequences...

Attached saves:

• "SpawnTest CPT5 a" - new world campaign with drought in progress for a demonstration.
    • "SpawnTest CampOld a" - a 0.7.5 world with drought, plus a 180 degree arc of turrets set up in front between 200-300m, blocking spawns (so that nothing spawns even if you switch techs - actually an odd one can sneak in, a little over 300m).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Lord Zarnox likes this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Oh, and I shouldn't forget that there's no spawn cap once you're above a certain altitude (probably needn't be more than 3000ft). As @reaperx1 showed in this video (and I've just checked that it's still present in 0.8.1.3).:

[​IMG]

It's a fun one, so I'm tempted to say: leave it in! :)

Test tech attached (unanchor to go straight up, anchor to come immediately back down).
    Space elevator 1.png

Lord Zarnox and reaperx1 like this.
  3. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member

In my view all the spawning activity in this game and the way enemies and challenges are presented, missions aside, currently is very artificially feeling and doesn't give the impression of a populated world living its own life at all.

Actually it seems to be the weakest point of this game overall at the moment.

Performance issues aside I'd suggest for developers to rethink how the player interacts with the world and how and with what it is populated, etc. The game may be mostly about building at the moment but there is not much purpose to all this building at all currently. Outside of missions the game is very empty and weirdly feeling indeed.

4. reaperx1

reaperx1 Crazed Builder

Right on, I may have to give that another go, just to see what kind of a mess I can make :)! Have a good one [8D)

ZeroGravitas likes this.