[0.8.1.2] Feedback - New Creative mode starting techs

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, so these are an interesting addition. Giving new players a jumping-off point is a nice idea to spur inspiration. (Was this related to your mega-tech project at all @Zeena?)

The obvious thing I'll point out is that their novelty will wear off almost immediately for experienced players, so a tick box to avoid having them spawn would be great.

Minor point - the HE tech is called "Harvester". How about "Tank" instead?

Also, the techs seem prone to being placed up trees, initially.

And how about a more creative, rainbow coloured block build, or something...?

Last edited:

Zeena

Good guess, but I actually wanted Techs for the trailers and videos we're making :D:D:D

OK, so these are an interesting addition. Giving new players a jumping-off point is a nice idea to spur inspiration. (Was this related to your mega-tech project at all @Zeena?)

The obvious thing I'll point out is that their novelty will wear off almost immediately for experienced players, so a tick box to avoid having them spawn would be great.

Minor point - the HE tech is called "Harvester". How about "Tank instead"?

Also, the techs seem prone to being placed up trees, initially.

And how about a more creative, rainbow coloured block build, or something...?

TheSpaceMan

Mammoth walker
How about making enemies unable to spawn directly at/very nearly to the beginning? Yes, you can remove them but it would suck for new players if these starting techs would get destroyed instantly.
Also, you could solve the problem with the tree spawning if they would instantly destroy any rocks/trees/crystals at their position upon spawning in. (Don't know how easy that would be, just like "delete all objects in a x radius around Heavy harvester")

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
Personally, I really don't like the new techs in creative mode. Only the plane is remotely useful and even then it's not a good plane, constantly needing the pilot to correct its pitch. I only really use creative mode as a place to road-test my experimental RnD chamber-built craft and always having a little useless entourage to accompany me and contribute to loss of frames doesn't sound like fun... Apart from road-testing, I use creative mode to test textures applied using MODS!! and once again I am uninterested in having techs already there. The last reason I would use creative mode is to take screenshots of my techs (a photo shoot, if you please) and for that situation a flyer could be useful if I need to scoot over to the pillars biome or something, but echoing myself, it's not even a good flyer!

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
I am afraid I can only offer something similar but with a different vowel as a starting tech :D. It may not be appreciated also. :D
Would that by any chance be a "deck"? A deck of Jamie cards would not be nice for the framerate.
The only other vowel that makes an actually word would give us a "Richard", which doesn't exactly make sense here.

Lost Ninja

Would that by any chance be a "deck"? A deck of Jamie cards would not be nice for the framerate.
The only other vowel that makes an actually word would give us a "Richard", which doesn't exactly make sense here.
You could make a "Dock" to feed the Duck from... :p

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
So, 0.8.2.2 brought a couple of new starter techs to Creative mode:

Base Core.png

⬆ A crafting salad. Obviously it doesn't work for Fabricating much of anything, but it lays out all the different block types, so that's a fine starting point for players to begin experimenting with their function. (Probably best not to just give out fully functional solutions, else where would be the fun of discovery?)

Double Bubble.png

⬆ Not sure what to class this as... I guess it's showing off the basic concept of bubbles being powered. But then the first couple missions in campaign already do this. Maybe it should have a rotating anchor, to be a demonstration turret...? (But again, they are shown in an early game mission.)

Last edited: