[0.8.1.1] Planes load with off-axis pitch pivoting (sometimes)

Discussion in 'TT Unstable (Bugs & Feedback)' started by ZeroGravitas, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

It seems like this bug may be most common with longer planes (not sure if ratio to width, or absolute size). Also, it happens most frequently (about half the time, or more) when using the tech replacement type of loading in Creative or R&D. In these modes any shape plane seems to be prone to this glitch (even the smallest I tested).

However, it can happen in campaign, with regular tech loading. Pitch axis appears to be 10-15 degrees offset to the right or left (I'm always just pitching or just rolling, except where I loose control):

Video, clip 1 (Campaign) - OK, mildly broken, OK. Clip 2 (Creative) - OK, broken, broken.

I'm surprised this hasn't been reported more (it seems to happen quite a lot, but probably most players don't know if they've just built the plane wrong - I thought so, at first). I mean, I think this is what was reported here in this thread by @Seth_Seth (and probably this thread by @Soviet_Samuelson too, in that case). However, there were confounding issues that confused the discussion there and it definitely does not seem to be limited to a particular wing type. Also, I'm not sure that @kae's assessment captured the whole issue...
    So I made this new thread, to be clear - I can't see a distinguishing factor as simple as that as when this bug occurs, after testing it quite extensively. Even if the replaced tech is in build beam, anchored, or just totally flat on the deck on all wheels, sometimes it will load OK, and other times it won't.

I'm imagining the bug *might* even transmit between techs, like with the animation glitch on scrapper blocks, (totally speculative).

I've attached some of my test planes.

Attached Files:

Benbacon and Seth_Seth like this.
  2. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

I have encountered this many times as well. It happens with hovers too.

3. ZeroGravitas

Cool. No other reports about planes, though?

I'm wondering if it happens to vehicles too, but we don't notice it (is this what is happening in the reports where turning circle is tighter in one direction?). Or, if it doesn't happen when a tech is grounded...? But then if it happens to hovers, they are grounded...

Benbacon likes this.
  4. kae

kae PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heya ZG,
    I'll take another look at this, see if I can see anything else with your test planes.

If there's anymore techs that any one else is having issues with please do upload a snapshot.

Cheers!

5. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

I can give you litterally every plane that i use venture wings on

6. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

This plane is affected.
    Thunderbird V2.png
    Pretty much every plane with wings is affected if you load it a few times.

Benbacon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

Cool. I think it's worth while making this somewhat of a priority (behind crashes, save errors, broken wheels, etc). And to be clear, it's not just specific weird shaped planes, it seems to be any plane, with repeated loading, particularly after you've already loaded a very bugged plane.

So the simplest of basic planes can be bugged and feel wrong, but it's just harder to definitively see the effect on short length planes, but it happens:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Benbacon likes this.