[0.8.0] Feedback - Dislike "Rename" selection at top of right click UI wheel

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Seriously devs, what were you thinking with this?!:

Because I'm used to the "Switch to tech" option being at the top, there, I'm just repeatedly opening up the Rename dialogue pop-up. Pretty frustrating...

I'd argue that for new players this makes no sense, either, as rename is rarely (if ever) used - switch to tech should have prime position.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
From what I remember, the game never tells you that you can switch techs by double clicking on them, so this will be a huge issue for new players.

Edit: I have just now realised that the switch tech button is still there, but just moved 72 degrees clockwise. Yes, I did just say it like that.

Last edited:

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Jan 15, 2017
Gulag
This isn't even needed as you can rename a tech by taking a snapshot or pressing R
It should either go back to what it was before or have the Rename switch with "Switch Tech"

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
This change occurred due to console development. Players have to use the controller to rename a tech on console. We also need an icon that can be universally recognised as "rename", since localising a text string can cause all sorts of problems with overlaps, text too small to read etc. Coming up with an icon that would fit one of the side segments was incredibly difficult, so it had to go across the top I'm afraid. I can see how this would be frustrating for returning players, but not for new ones. They won't necessarily have even seen the older set up, so won't have "muscle memory" type issues that some of you guys are experiencing (as I also did in testing leading up to the Stable release).

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
This change occurred due to console development. Players have to use the controller to rename a tech on console. We also need an icon that can be universally recognised as "rename", since localising a text string can cause all sorts of problems with overlaps, text too small to read etc. Coming up with an icon that would fit one of the side segments was incredibly difficult, so it had to go across the top I'm afraid. I can see how this would be frustrating for returning players, but not for new ones. They won't necessarily have even seen the older set up, so won't have "muscle memory" type issues that some of you guys are experiencing (as I also did in testing leading up to the Stable release).
Why not something simple such as a pen/pencil, or a letter or two. It would be the only option on there that has anything to do with writing/typing, so why not?
I also did a quick Google search for "rename icon", and this was one of the results, which I think works as a good example.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
@Lord Zarnox Letters are a no go, as localisation would be required (Russian and Chinese being the main issues with that). As for the icon, the bar with the cursor clearly indicates typing. The art and design guys put a lot of thought into what would be the best and most universal icon that would be easily interpreted by as many players as possible, from different age groups and different language speakers.

I can see how this can be a little annoying for you guys, but now we're developing for console, we have a lot more to consider when it comes to design. We tried to keep changes like this to a minimum, but sadly not all of it is avoidable.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Would it be possible to put six options in the ring and have "Rename Tech" at the bottom if size is a problem?
All the icons would just need to be smaller
Plus, I think that the top option should be most important, and in this case, I think it is "Switch Tech"
Well, I guess we could flip the wheel so "Rename" is at the bottom, but that wouldn't solve the issue you guys are having since the top centre would be split between two options, meaning players could easily select the wrong option accidentally. You mention adding a 6th option, which might resolve it, but what would that option be?

Reactions: Soviet_Samuelson

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Jan 15, 2017
Gulag
Well, I guess we could flip the wheel so "Rename" is at the bottom, but that wouldn't solve the issue you guys are having since the top centre would be split between two options, meaning players could easily select the wrong option accidentally. You mention adding a 6th option, which might resolve it, but what would that option be?
The option would be the "Coming Soon" with the drill

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
The option would be the "Coming Soon" with the drill
Yeah, we had to remove that now we're approaching 1.0. Console versions can't have things like that in the game, and since we aren't sure exactly when we'll be introducing that back to the game (we've overstretched the meaning of the word "soon" by a long way already!), it made sense to remove it.

DrShadox

GeoCorp worker
May 23, 2018
I must agree , the rename option isnt the issue , the problem if we had the habit to take the top option for switch tech , switch both option wil lsolve the problem.

Sorry for my english.

Soviet_Samuelson

On the path to becoming a grand-master idiot
Feb 9, 2018
My box
forum.terratechgame.com
Yeah, we had to remove that now we're approaching 1.0. Console versions can't have things like that in the game, and since we aren't sure exactly when we'll be introducing that back to the game (we've overstretched the meaning of the word "soon" by a long way already!), it made sense to remove it.
you could put the rename bar in the bottom left, there's probably space for it there

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
This change occurred due to console development.
Ahh, for the good of the console peasants our gamer brethren.

The art and design guys put a lot of thought into what would be the best and most universal icon that would be easily interpreted by as many players as possible, from different age groups and different language speakers.
Fair. It still looks ugly, though - too many boxes. And didn't make immediate sense to me. How about using an ellipsis (3 full stops) instead of the solid white block?

I can see how this would be frustrating for returning players, but not for new ones.
Well, my argument would be that pushing the mouse (of thumb stick) upwards is the easiest movement direction (like walk forwards). But that probably is a bit tenuous... And to be fair, "Send to Inventory" is probably used more by some players, anyway, depending on play style.

You mention adding a 6th option, which might resolve it, but what would that option be?
A dev directly asking for suggestions....? Get in line boys!:p:D

Well some obvious options might be the buttons currently at bottom left of screen:
  • Snapshot tech - to snapshot a tech without switching to it... Hmm, could be useful for anchored or AI techs without cabs.
  • Load tech - to replace a tech in-situe (without switching to it) - I'd like that functionality added to campaign anyway (please). It would make sense next to the existing "Send to Inventory" option.
  • Anchor/unanchor - I dunno, might be handy to fix pesky AI followers in place, or something...

Or, a 3rd AI control option - "follow, but don't fight". Or don't chase. Some AI work necessary, but minimal, perhaps. And something I definitely wanted/expected when I first played the game.

Or, combine 2 currents ones to make 4 total - just make the "Idle" and "Guard/Follow" buttons a single option that toggles, since it can only be one or the other...

(In R&D it would be "Set as Enemy", to save (devs) forgetting the secret shortcut key. But that doesn't tie in with Campaign, etc.)

Last edited:

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Apr 9, 2018
I should probably make a new thread for this but one thing I'd like in the game would be edit lock which would prevent the affected tech to be accidentally modified. It's fairly common for some random piece get stuck in the guts of a tech and it is pretty much a gamble if you get it or accidentally yank out a central structural block that makes half of your tech disintegrate. Not fun. And this should also lock conveyor directions, as well, because sometimes conveyor reversing isn't reversible thanks to the interesting conveyor logic. Build beam would switch off the lock implicitly of course.

But yeah, you don't get the ring menu for your own tech, so it would require another way to activate it as well.

Deutsche Würfel

I look good in this dress.
Jun 19, 2017
flip the wheel. or put an obviously blank spacer in. or plan ahead, divide the wheel into 8, and have several empty slots avaialble for mods. until mods go in, the can have duplicates of the 'quit' [X] in them that normally is in the middle. Anything to have the wheel at the toip.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox