[0.7.9.6] Computer temperature higher with new unstable

Discussion in 'TT Unstable (Bugs & Feedback)' started by Nightblade Greyswandir, May 17, 2018.

1. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Well-Known Member

Anybody else have same problem? But in same time I see improvement in FPS.

2. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

Hardware acceleration?

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Are you seeing more CPU and/or GPU usage in Windows Task manager's resource usage utility, too? (If so, that's good, that they've managed to utilise the hardware better.)

Also, are you comparing temperatures between patches on the same day, same other programs running, after switching patches, etc?

Soviet_Samuelson and Lord Zarnox like this.
  4. Nightblade Greyswandir

will check if more CPU are used.
    I just compared sound of fan between last two updates and after. TT never pushed my fan to be this loud before updates. I usually have only Steam and game running when i play. And fan calms down when i turn TT off.

5. Nightblade Greyswandir

All CPUs are used. But it give almost same shape of timeplot diagram for all 8 CPUs... I am not 100% sure that is how it should be if CPUs are complementing each other and not duplicating work, can somebody double check it?

6. ZeroGravitas

@DerNiepe and I took a look at CPU usage and performance on our respective machines, yesterday, and saw nothing really different to before... CPU usage never really exceeded 50% overall. Threading isn't very clever in game/Unity engine, I don't know.

7. DerNiepe

DerNiepe Well-Known Member

We should write our spec's down too.
    So i'm using:
    i7-5820 K (Hexacore) @3,3Ghz (Running 4.0Ghz Stable) -Game usage max. 31%
    16GB DDR4 RAM - Game usage aprox. 4-5 GB
    GTX 1070 MSI OC 8GB - GPU Usage @30% max.
    Memory Controller Load approx. 11%

Game Graphics all max but no Depth of Field

I tested a bit around and the results are:
    -Changing the resolution from 1600x900 Windowed (My streaming resolution) to 2560x1080 Fullscreen has no effect to the usage of any component.

-If the FPS drop's for any reason, the usage of CPU and GPU will drop too. I.e. i play on 60 FPS with 30% CPU and load something big that will drop my FPS to 40, the usage will drop to... let's say 20% both.

Tools I used to check:
    Process Explorer of Microsoft TechNet and TechPowerUp GPU-Z

8. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

I too noticed a slightly louder fan sound from running 080 0801 and now 081 stable and while i did not notice any additional demands on the streaming rig (i7700k) I did discover the following:

The computer now uses more electricity while running terratech; up from 160 watts to 195 watts. (courtesy of Killiawatt)

9. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

my guess is that the video card(s) are getting a lot more work (I noticed that my gpu loading (even on the fastest settings) was about 10 degrees hotter than previous releases

10. NovaLegion

NovaLegion Jamie's best friend

They finally let the game allocate the resources it needs.
    This is a good thing tonytony

Zed likes this.
  11. Nightblade Greyswandir

I would say it got little better. And now when TT use all 8 cores I would expect that use by-core is lower but it is not, so optimization helped a little but it is not even close to optimal. That is why computers are overheating.

12. ZeroGravitas

I've added the estimated patch number to the thread title "[0.7.9.6]".

Also, small note - it seems that the game may now use GPU processing for new things, including positioning resources on conveyors (incorrectly), as per this bug.

[Edit 2018-06-10] Apparently, the devs didn't put more load on GPU directly, but optimisations may have had an impact, and a Unity game engine update too [source].

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  13. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Me it's since 0.8 , i can hear my fan , a rare thing who only happen when i've playing to ARK few years ago , and it happen even with "good" graphic , before that it's wasnt the case even with "fantastic" setting.

I don't have issue, but i hear them.

14. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Well-Known Member

Yeah, the increased GPU usage is simply because of better overall framerate. And increased CPU usage is largely due to Unity being... Unity. Using GPU for game processing is not really feasible in a game like TT, at least not with DX11.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  15. ZeroGravitas

Ah, fair point - with the CPU (physics) bottleneck eased, GPU may just be able to utilise it's previously unused capacity... Hmmm.:)