[0.7.9.4] Hoover Issues

Discussion in 'TT Unstable (Bugs & Feedback)' started by Jaime, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jaime

Jaime Well-Known Member

Is the change in the Strength of the Hoover plates so intentional?
    Will there be further changes or adjustments there?

The much stronger Venture Hoover actually destroys all of my creations and multitechs using the Hoover Drive.
    Especially the techs that I have uploaded to Steam are now no longer usable for all users. Since you can not change these techs on Steam later this is a big problem. And that's not just me.

JW

QuackDuck and DerNiepe like this.
  2. Sammi

Sammi PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hi @Jaime , can you give a few tech examples you're referring to?

3. Jaime

Jaime Well-Known Member

Sure @Sammi , you could go in my TechThread and pick whatever you like. There is also a couple of videos showing how the techs have worked so far.

Here are some examples:

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?attachments/something-new-10-sav.21933/

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?attachments/4wheelmt-sav.21936/

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?attachments/aircarrier4-by-jaime-png.21986/

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?attachments/lz-120-esperia-png.17308/

Like I said, every tech is either spinning too fast or just climbing up at high speed.
    The question is, if that's what it's meant to be. If not, will the change be reversed? If so, does it stay that way?
    I'd like to keep everyone working on/with my techs, for example those on Steam that some people have downloaded as favorites. Or that I can change them to work again.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

All my normal hover techs are completely unusable as well. I will provide examples soon.

5. Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels S H I N Y Mad Scientist

My vacuum has sucked up my sister please revert it to its previous state

Lord Zarnox and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  6. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Below are some videos demonstrating some problems with the hovers.
    First, old hover techs are very bouncy now and overreact to small terrain changes, causing many control issues.

This is most apparent on small, light hovers.

Even when the amount of hoverplates has been reduced to 20% of the original, the hover techs are still quite bouncy and hard to control.

This update is good for very large, very heavy hover techs, but absolutely ruins small hover techs. Not only are they very hard to control, they also can't rely on redundant hoverpads anymore, which means they are even more fragile than usual, since hoverpads are easily knocked off.

What I recommend doing to resolve the situation quickly is to revert the strength changes to the GSO and VEN hovers back to what they were in 0.7.9-0.7.9.2, BUT keep the current hover strengths for the GEO Powerlifter and EXP Flying Fortress hoverplates. That way, small hover techs can rely on the smaller GSO and VEN hoverplates for lift and not have to worry too much about bouncing, while large hover techs can use the GEO and EXP hoverplates for their brute strength.

Alongside the above changes, adding in WhitePaw's script for hover control should be done as soon as possible. It is very good at doing its job and ensures the long term viability of hoverplates as a usable form of movement. I believe it is able to improve the game massively.

Below you will find some of the techs used in the videos.

Attached Files:

7. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

8. Benbacon

Benbacon Founder Of Bacon, Inc

The problem with hovers so strong it that they make your tech go up and down violently above the hover's lift range. This makes buildbeaming hard as well as general movement

Lord Zarnox and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  9. Jaime

Jaime Well-Known Member

@Sammi
    Is there any news? Will the Hoover stay like they are or will something change?

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  10. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

who's hoover? like the dam?

11. Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels S H I N Y Mad Scientist

Nah the vacuum company.

12. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

[​IMG]
    This hoover needs a buff

13. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

so does this hoover
    [​IMG]

Soviet_Samuelson and Lord Zarnox like this.
  14. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Why does it seem like as soon as anyone mentions @WhitePaw2002's hover fix, all dev activity in the thread ceases to exist.
    We just want to hear anything back from them about it at this point. This is too much suspense.

15. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

16. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Add this one to the pile as well . Meant to offset weight with hovers, not to actually hover.

Attached Files:

17. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

The effects of this change are very visible in the GBC build too, of course: the rotating multi-techs fall to pieces and @MrTwister's centrifuge is spinning out of control like it's been hit by Stuxnet. Regen bubbles flung out or embeded in the walls...

[​IMG]

But changes will happen. And the hovers were probably too weak before.

Of course just giving them more force will make them springier, bouncier. So they could do with an additional damping factor adding, such that the upwards force they provide falls off with upwards speed (and/or acceleration).

If not building PID control into the plates individually, then we're back to wanting inertial control unit blocks to tame hover techs (and VTOLs/choppers). Or both, why not?

18. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

That is what WhitePaw's hover code fixes, and is why we are all screaming for it.

I agree that hovers were a bit on the weak side before, but maybe just a 20% increase in strength for the GSO and VEN hoverplates would be enough, instead of what feels like a 300% increase now. Right now, they are very overpowered and make balancing hover techs and such very hard since we can't use them with precision.

The GEO and EXP hovers are perfectly fine now, so don't touch them devs!

19. Mindlessmrawesome

Mindlessmrawesome Well-Known Member

Yeah please fix the hovers

20. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Well-Known Member

20% is nothing. At least 50%+ is where it should aim... or we can guess 57,45% ...
    Maybe balancing method should be that we take some of average tech from campaign and replace wheels with hoverpads, and if it is above the ground then hovers are as strong as they have to be, and not guessing percents.
    maybe https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/balancing-hoverpads-by-experiment.16200/