[0.7.9.2] Difficulty/Player-AI modifiers suggestion/feedback

MrTwister

Apr 22, 2017
After doing some testing in R&D (and the same likely applies equally to other modes too) I found out that currently either the player does approximately 200% damage to the AI or the AI does only 50% damage to the player, which certainly doesn't contribute to the challenge. :)

Not sure if this was asked before, but could we have some sort of tick switch or difficulty setting for each game mode to be able to be on equal footing with AI with no advantage or disadvantage?

It's much more interesting to play and to test out techs when only the actual game mechanics affects outcomes without any artificial modifiers. Some sort of easy/normal or normal/advanced switch or setting would do nicely!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Not sure if this was asked before, but could we have some sort of tick switch or difficulty setting
I've seen Jamie say previously that difficulty settings are a solid "no".

found out that currently either the player does approximately 200% damage to the AI or the AI does only 50% damage to the player
Really?!o_O Weird. Can you demonstrate this? (Or link?)

Reactions: Soviet_Samuelson

Django

Apr 21, 2016
London, UK
That's quite an interesting observation.

I think what is happening here is not so much that the damage between player and enemy is different. Instead the blocks on the enemy tech fall off long before they are at 0 health, meaning you can start chewing through the next block. On the player tech on the other hand it seems the block does not detach until it is completely destroyed.

This is of course by design to make it less frustrating for the player to lose all his/her blocks in combat, but make it possible to chip off enemy blocks without needing to destroy every block. What perhaps wasn't obvious is that this inherently adds a significant layer of armor to the player that makes their tech more durable.

I'll give our designers a prod on what their thoughts on this are.

MrTwister

Apr 22, 2017
That's quite an interesting observation.

I think what is happening here is not so much that the damage between player and enemy is different. Instead the blocks on the enemy tech fall off long before they are at 0 health, meaning you can start chewing through the next block. On the player tech on the other hand it seems the block does not detach until it is completely destroyed.

This is of course by design to make it less frustrating for the player to lose all his/her blocks in combat, but make it possible to chip off enemy blocks without needing to destroy every block. What perhaps wasn't obvious is that this inherently adds a significant layer of armor to the player that makes their tech more durable.

I'll give our designers a prod on what their thoughts on this are.
When using high-grade explosive weapons, this effect is further reinforced.

I have a mid-sized tank which is, while good, shouldn't be able to rip a tech 6-8 times larger and only spend about 15% energy charge and then fight 4 more techs like that in a row without pause.

MrTwister

Apr 22, 2017
@Django To further add to the topic I decided to add an illustration of how much better a properly designed tech in player's hands is. A small video of me fighting in my tech against community techs plus save if you want to try out. :)

Attachments