[0.7.9.1] Cursed monument drums in R&D (MUST GO!)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
As per my suggestion thread, I find the low pitched, repetitive "duuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm......" of the monument drums very distracting. Too annoying to build on them, and audible for well beyond max vision range. (This is even more of a noticeable nuisance when speeding up video footage, which increases the frequency and the speed of the drumming.)

I don't know if their sound effects combine to increase the volume, too?

I just noticed their sound while testing in R&D, when I parked way up by the brick test target.... With the game paused and tabbed out! I.e. this bug clearly still applies.

Please, please modify the usage of this sound effect to be under more limited range and circumstance.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
There should be a 1x4x9 (well, that's what it was supposed to be) solid black rectangular prism. There are voices, and if you touch it, very loud static (maybe don't include that last part). I wouldn't mind finding this little reference in the game.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com

Soviet_Samuelson

On the path to becoming a grand-master idiot
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
they should be more creepy.
Imagine a mid-tone piano
now make it's rythym like this
dun-dun.................................dun-dun..........duuuun..(repeat)
(this comment makes me look stupid)

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
Maybe they could make it simply play a constant, relatively loud (you'll see why soon), sound with a frequency below 20Hz. Now, the thing is, this is (generally) to low to be heard by human ears, but when it is overlayed on top of a different waveform, it slightly distorts the sound. It isn't very noticeably right away, but you will likely feel that something seems... odd.
This way, it doesn't seem like it is causing sound, but rather, just distorting sounds that are already there. It makes it less annoying, and more creepy.

Soviet_Samuelson

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Maybe they could make it simply play a constant, relatively loud (you'll see why soon), sound with a frequency below 20Hz. Now, the thing is, this is (generally) to low to be heard by human ears, but when it is overlayed on top of a different waveform, it slightly distorts the sound. It isn't very noticeably right away, but you will likely feel that something seems... odd.
This way, it doesn't seem like it is causing sound, but rather, just distorting sounds that are already there. It makes it less annoying, and more creepy.
This is just... perfect...

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
Oh, I just looked up "infrasound", as I had remembered it was called that, and I realised that it is possibly even more fitting for the task. Turns out that infrasound is known to be capable of causing feelings of awe and/or fear in those who feel it (because you won't be hearing it) if it is loud enough. So basically, you may feel awe and/or fear (or a similar feeling) when near a monument, and you might not even realise it. It will make you really feel in the moment.

To quote Wikipedia:
One study has suggested that infrasound may cause feelings of awe or fear in humans. It has also been suggested that since it is not consciously perceived, it may make people feel vaguely that odd or supernatural events are taking place.

Last edited:

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
and just to throw a ship propellor wrench in the aircraft works, I can even hear down to 5hz and used (last time I checked) hear up to approx 22khz, and the low frequency sounds just irritate me, so I am more likely to DESTROY ALL for at least ten minutes after the end of the sound

Soviet_Samuelson

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
and just to throw a ship propellor wrench in the aircraft works, I can even hear down to 5hz and used (last time I checked) hear up to approx 22khz, and the low frequency sounds just irritate me, so I am more likely to DESTROY ALL for at least ten minutes after the end of the sound
Congrats, you have the most useless superpower of all time.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
it is JUST an ability to detect sounds(and movement as most movement does cause sound), the actual methods of destruction do not involve my hearing at all, the main factor in the danger to things around me is the ability to switch off the pain sensors at will, which allows me to use my full strength as I see fit

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
it is JUST an ability to detect sounds(and movement as most movement does cause sound), the actual methods of destruction do not involve my hearing at all, the main factor in the danger to things around me is the ability to switch off the pain sensors at will, which allows me to use my full strength as I see fit
And likely severely injure yourself in the process. We have pain receptors for a reason.
Fun fact: The brain has no receptors for touch, pain, or anything similar. Someone could be holding your brain (for whatever reason) and you would never notice. Also, I know from experience, brains are very squishy. You can turn them into a pulp just by squeezing your hand. No, I haven't done this to a human brain, I just got curious during a school science experiment.

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

S H I N Y Mad Scientist
Woo!! We are both cursed!