[0.7.8] Terrain biome loading / replacement errors

Captain Load

About every three or four times when I load my campaign save the following will occur:

* A chunk of the terrain will have become a different biome than the chunks around it. I know the world is randomly generated but it also seems to be divided up into "pieces" that are about the same width as the range of a cruise missile.

* This chunk of altered terrain will also be at a different altitude than the surrounding ones, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. When its lower than the surrounding ground level you can move around on it but if you drive off you fall forever, and sometimes the game crashes when this happens. You can also build a VTOL and fly around under the map which is kinda cool..the build beam will let you "surface" like a submarine :)

* The chunk of messed up terrain will appear either pretty close to your tech or UNDER your tech.

* Reloading the save usually fixes this problem, but one time I had to reload it twice.

I would post screenshots but unfortunately I accidentally deleted the pics while trying to clean up my TT folder. We really need some in-game control over snapshot collections.

Captain Load

This bug is still around, it seems. I've been getting it regularly since at least 0.8.1.9, about every third or fourth load. My campaign was started under the first 0.8.1.x build. Intel i5, 16gb RAM with AMD R7 GPU capable of running TT on max graphics though I tend to keep it on L5 (beautiful) to get a few extra FPS.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
Yeah, this has been seen several times before, and those world chunks are something like 384x384 meters.

Django

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for all the input guys!
Hopefully we can glean something from your various DxDiags and save games. Meanwhile we're in the process of setting up a test case to rapidly cycle through tiles to increase the rate of reproduction internally and trigger our error checking code to narrow things down.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I've just merged @Captain Load's new thread, titled "[0.8.2]Vertically displaced and incorrect biome "puzzle piece"" with this existing one (that he clearly spotted afterwards). I also deleted the thread's poll (it's definitely a bug).

something like 384x384 meters
That exactly. With the 'first' tile in the grid centred on the origin co-ordinates (0,0).

Meanwhile we're in the process of setting up a test case to rapidly cycle through tiles to increase the rate of reproduction internally and trigger our error checking code to narrow things down.
Did the save file that always generates a bugged terrain tile not work or help you guys with this already...? :(

Last edited:

Captain Load

I've just merged @Captain Load's new thread, titled "[0.8.2]Vertically displaced and incorrect biome "puzzle piece"" with this existing one (that he clearly spotted afterwards). I also deleted the thread's poll (it's definitely a bug).

That exactly. With the 'first' tile in the grid centred on the origin co-ordinates (0,0).

Did the save file that always generates a bugged terrain tile not work or help you guys with this already...? :(
Sorry about that. I had to leave right after and was gonna delete thread when I got somewhere with internet but I forgot. Also sorry I forgot to include a save...reloading erased the error :/

the.nihilist

Semiprofessional Idler
Caught it under 0.8.1… i have a savegame and the logfile. still need more input for this one?

(i tried uploading a screenshot, but i only get errors, even after reducing the size o_O)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
This is such a common bug, now. Lathrix got it at the start of his video yesterday, too:

Yet again, anchored crafting tech right on the transition. I'm assuming he reloaded the save and it was just there like that, because he says he tried reloading and it stayed the same (which used to be very unusual).

MountainFalcon15

I started getting back into terra tech today and I decided to set my game to the unstable build and start a new world, which was going well until I loaded a quick save that I named "oops". It was my harvester and battle tank stationed at a salt lake biome near a trading station in a desert(/mountain?) biome. What happened though was that every single tech near my base was located to a completely different trading station that I think was in the same seed. With the exception of my harvester and battle techs, every other tech was under the map. I think it was because they were all anchored.Fortunately upon loading the save again I was correctly placed at the salt lake.

video evidence ((started recording after I loaded the save the 1st time) might be still uploading)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I've just merged @MountainFalcon15's new thread titled "[0.8.2.2] Weird tech relocation glitch" with this existing thread on the same bug. (See also this thread in the TT_Unstable section.

What you're seeing, in that lovely video, is the terrain generation algorithm derping on trying to reload that section of the world map. So your techs are actually in the right place, but the ground is wrong.

I say this because I suspect there might still be an actual anchored tech relocation glitch too, with disappearing bases.

Lost Ninja

Had it today [0.8.2.2] Foolishly didn't keep either my .log or the save file (though TBH I don't think that would help as it appears to fix itself on reload).

Well stocked crafting base on top of a pillar (Pillars Biome), after load it was inside a mountain. I actually could place a new tech (ZG 4x Autominer BTW) on the new surface which is still sitting there even though the new terrain is gone. :D

Dxdiag included.

Attachments

FoxVulpe

My base is located in Salt Flats and next to me is (some red like mountans ?.forget the name of the biom)
The sound was quite werd so i restarted the game and than ...
A part of the "red mountans" generated on top of my base ! And buried my base , fortunately
Becouse of the Salt Flast the mountans top was high up and there was a gab TO THE VOID (dramatic!)
I saw my base standing there a tech fallen down but spawned up on the mountans

One by one i took the base and swiched to build beam mode and slowly going up
(I had resourses on the crafting base and all of them bugged and fly everywhere i was a pain to get all of them)

I restarted the game again and the Salt flats part its back

So nothing really happend

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey @Ceans - thanks for the report.:) Good to know people are still hitting this issue. It's a well known problem, so I've merged your new thread, titled "[1.0.0.2][PC] - A terrain generation bug" with this old one.