[0.7.8] Terrain biome loading / replacement errors

brulez

This terrain issue is most likely a race condition during generation, timing or edge case related, which makes it non-deterministic and so infrequent and hard to track. Tiles aren't reused in the same way other objects are, because terrain needs to be created from scratch every time.

We're focussing heavily on fixing bugs at the moment, so hopefully a lot of these issues will be fixed soon.

Tell me more.
I hit this issue with almost 100% when I had a bunch of autominers I forgot about (without anything to process the chunks) in one location.

The sheer number of resource chunks caused a good amount of lag (which I believe is a known issue), but more interestingly it caused this terrain issue pretty regularly in the nearby biome seams.

Haven't encountered it at all since cleaning up all the resource chunks from that area.. but that might be a way to repro.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I hit this issue with almost 100% when I had a bunch of autominers I forgot about (without anything to process the chunks) in one location.
Hmmm... It is an interesting observation/hypothesis that might be worth provocation testing... :)

When I had it happen in my (old) playthrough world it was between two auto-miner outposts. Although I didn't have loose chunks, they were either held in Silos on fixed anchors or auto-bricked. So could it be that the process of loading of techs/chunks happens in parallel to terrain loading regeneration and could interfere, @Django?

Oh, and this reminds me! I did actually have it at the start of my current playthrough, this year - glitch was shown in my ฿฿1Millon speedrun (d'uh). I'd obviously done a *lot* of Auto-mining, there, and then this was during follow-up filming, when I reloaded the save (in a freshly booted game):

Mining Erudite... in the desert?!

But counter to this - SSundee hadn't started Auto-mining yet when his glitch happened (as far as I know). And probably many other instances weren't. So just a biasing factor...?

@brulez - could you post us a DxDiag output to show us you computer's spec and environment? Also, I don't suppose you still have the save file where it happen a lot?

Last edited:

Django

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
That's curious. If there's any increasing in frequency then it's definitely something worth looking into. I've got potentially interesting code areas to investigate, but I need to sit down and have a chat with one of my colleagues who knows more about that code before we can take it further.

@ZG in your latest image it looks like it quite a long piece of tile disconnected, potentially not just 1 corner but 2, creating a whole loose edge. Do you happen to remember if that was the case, or is it simply a case of (un)lucky perspective?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
in your latest image it looks like it quite a long piece of tile disconnected, potentially not just 1 corner but 2, creating a whole loose edge. Do you happen to remember if that was the case,
It did seem like quite a long disconnect, but it was hard to see just how long because its desert blended seamlessly with a dessert that (I think) was supposed to be there. I didn't investigate further because I was filming, but the drive in shows more of it, if you'd like me to edit it into a little video...(?)

I could also add in video of the worst instance I've seen of this, if you're interested (planning to make a super-edit for "TerraTech's weirdest Bugs" video, some day). ;)
I just had a major occurrence of it:

Seemed to be a double (or triple) tile world mis-placement (more extensive exploration recorded to video, but presumably not helpful to show).

Log attached (copied out around the point of screenshot).

Game version 0.7.8.0.

I had just been in a new Creative world, to look at this massive, crafting base (by @MrTwister):

Then loaded up this old campaign of mine (where the pictured glitch happened), from months back (attached), which seems to have the (erroneous) "Position blocked" bug, in progress, causing a lot of frame rate drop. Frame rate spontaneously recovered to normal, just before stumbling across the glitched terrain.

Graphics were on "Fastest".

Could not repeat terrain glitch by repeating the steps I took. But I did see a little terrain glitch in the main menu, after re-loading the massive base (two copies) in creative for a second time. So maybe a memory leak?

Or a threading cock up, if related to the "position blocked" FPS degradation...?
And looking through the ~10 instances documented in that thread, there seems to be an unreasonably high number of cases where Crafty Mike has a base set up right near the edge of a tear, usually just inside. And several more have crafting bases or an anchored tech in similar locations.

A couple more have a mission crate or ramp inside (reaching now), or a trade station (when "find a trade station" is the current mission).

But a couple have nothing obvious, like the main menu brawls and SSundee's - maybe his turret Joe loaded around the same time as the glitched terrain (about the same distance from the direction he was driving in) but are far apart. Maybe the state his game was in caused issue - no missions at that trade station; I'm wondering if it was just tapped out (likely), or it was a semi-bug, like when I had the worst glitch above, I was experiencing the "position block" + no missions bug.

The mission generation code analyses terrain layout for suitable spots, right, so could that code be causing some kind of clash/access violation with the generation in progress? (No, because it only runs when (stationary) at a trade station...?)

Last edited:

Django

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
No, because it only runs when (stationary) at a trade station...?
There's also some code running to handle the 'automatic' missions you get, which still need placing.
It's something to investigate, and could align with current thinking depending on the calls it makes internally.

It's certainly not limited to that - I have seen it personally inside the editor in a stripped down version of the game closer to Creative mode where there's no mission code running.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hold the press! @Estecka just dropped the Rosetta Stone of bugged save games over here. I merged their thread into the space/time warping (duplication) thread because flying north towards their other base causes the dupe/teleport glitch every time. But also...

Simply reloading the save repeatedly grantees the terrain glitch kicking in (usually on the same world tile to the east of their base). 3rd reload for me this attempt, from clean start of game:

My output log for the video session and save attached.

Had you seen the terrain glitch too @Estecka? And wana try this save too, @Zargn?

Attachments

Last edited:

Zargn

Administrator
Hold the press! @Estecka just dropped the Rosetta Stone of bugged save games over here. I merged their thread into the space/time warping (duplication) thread because flying north towards their other base causes the dupe/teleport glitch every time. But also...

Simply reloading the save repeatedly grantees the terrain glitch kicking in (usually on the same world tile to the east of their base). 3rd reload for me this attempt, from clean start of game:

My output log for the video session and save attached.

Had you seen the terrain glitch too @Estecka? And wana try this save too, @Zargn?
I just finished writing a answer to this and then I did something and all the text was removed...

Anyway, I also got the terrain bug when trying that save. And I will try to look for things that might help in the search for the cause of the duplication bug in this save. :)

But I also saw a strange bright square on the ground close to the base, and at the edge of a world tile. I landed on it, and right after I left the ground again I got another bug that @Estecka saw on their save. The plane hit some sort of invisible wall, and I lost 3 blocks and some more where damaged. But the tech didnt even stop when it happened, the blocks just exploded.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
The plane hit some sort of invisible wall, and I lost 3 blocks and some more where damaged. But the tech didnt even stop when it happened, the blocks just exploded.
Yes, that's what I had, tweice. Failed to video it, stupidly, twice. Very weird. I don't think it's that the duplicate plane was taking damage that was being transferred (or something like that). I don't know. And I don't recall seeing a "bright square"...?

I couldn't reproduce the terrain deformation yet.
Interesting. So strong evidence of differences between PC environments flipping the same bug into 2 different failure modes.

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Tried out Estecka's save file. Teleporting, check. Terrain corruption, no check, not even after numerous reloading attempts.

Galrex

Possibilist
[0.8.1.2] It seems this biome loading issue is still going on. As I just load into my usual save file and this happened.

Biome loading bug1.jpg

Somehow the higher terrain casts a shadow over the lower flats (as what it seems to be).
Biome loading bug2.jpg

Biome loading bug5.jpg

Anyone here still have this issue lately? Even in the latest stable branch? I did create a new save file for this and leave the original file(without saving) as it is. Then after I'm away and come back to load the bugged save, everything is back to normal. And I can't remake this bug after several attempts of reloading.

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
I've had this problem happen to me in (0.8.1.3 / 0.8.2.0) MP multiple times. Where one chunk was not that of the map, and the players I was playing with noticed that I was either flying or half-way in the ground. Same goes for them on my view. The chunk acts as if it should be there, but it doesn't across clients.

Galrex

Possibilist
I've had this problem happen to me in (0.8.1.3 / 0.8.2.0) MP multiple times. Where one chunk was not that of the map, and the players I was playing with noticed that I was either flying or half-way in the ground. Same goes for them on my view. The chunk acts as if it should be there, but it doesn't across clients.
Interesting. The bug is also observable in MP.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone here still have this issue lately? Even in the latest stable branch? I did create a new save file for this and leave the original file(without saving) as it is. Then after I'm away and come back to load the bugged save, everything is back to normal.
The bug is always fixed by reloading or leaving the area and returning (same effect). Terrain is re-generated on each return, using a fixed mathematical algorithm which is 'seeded' by an alpha-numeric string (the world's seed, displayed when selecting a save). No terrain geometry is actually saved.

It's interesting that you have anchored techs right next to the split boundary there - fits with the observations above.:)