[0.7.8.5] Feedback on missile spam and ugly explosions (thoughts?)

The new explosions are:

• Ugly

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • OK (given FPS improvement)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
So the big changes in 0.7.8.5 (other than tech targeting) appear to be to explosive weapons, with a shift in meta to much faster reload times (crazy cruise missile spam) but much weaker and smaller explosions.

These look different too, with bigger, flatter looking, whited out central blast areas (kind of a 90s retro FPS feel, almost). But seemingly causing far less frame from drop (lag).

From patch notes:
Updated explosive weapons with new explosions:
  • Increased the amount of damage the GSO 3-Pound Cannon deals.
  • Reduced the damage and rate of fire of the GSO Mortar.
  • Massively increased the Venture Avalanche Missile's rate of fire, but reduced its damage and blast radius.
  • Reduced the blast radius of the Hawkeye Pod Missile, but increased its rate of fire.
  • Reduced the damage and rate of fire of the GSO Missile Battery.
  • Reduced the blast radius of the Hawkeye Cruise Missile, also increased its rate of fire and damage.
  • Increased the damage and blast radius of the GSO Megaton Cannon.
  • Increased the damage and blast radius of the Hawkeye Cannon Turret.
  • Increased the damage, blast radius and rate of fire of the EXP Big Man Bomb.
So what do you guys think of these changes? And the balance of the specific weapons, now?

They seemed a bit all over the place, from just reading the notes. And the Megatons are even more powerful now too. Is that ridiculous? Or have missiles reigned supreme for long enough?

Have the mini-mortars been nerfed enough?

Big man bombs can really carpet bomb (although their target seeking propulsion seems to have been reduced, further).

Are the Hawkeye Seekers pointless? And the Venture Avalanches, too? They really fire a continuous stream now, but barely tickly targets (and don't penetrate shields).

Will the blast radius reductions make shielded enemies too overpowered now?

Last edited:

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
I just realized something... the Megaton Cannons are MUCH heavier now. One Megaton Cannon weighs equivalent to 3 Cruise Missiles. Or are the missiles lighter? Same thing with GSO Missile Battery. What do you think?

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
Not sure what to vote right now.

They look more cartoony (I get an 80s-90s (and even current time) anime/cartoon explosions feel from them) along with what you said.

If it was done to help with increasing FPS then I'm fine with it for now on an initial reaction, but would need to play it more seeing them to really decide.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Jan 15, 2017
Gulag
My thoughts:
These new explosions look like mini nukes detonating
It also makes mid air missile explosions look strange
The megatons certainly did not need a buff
The avalanches and cruise missiles fire too fast
Logic Problem: The missiles launcher with 4 tubes shoots slower than the one the 2

MrTwister

Apr 22, 2017
I think I'll return to take a look at this game in 6 months or so.
It's just too unfinished and too much weird experimentation going on.
The biggest drawback really is the lack of high-end goal to achieve or goals and perhaps some rudimentary background storyline, so there isn't much to do.
All these blocks and , crafting, base-building, for what? An endgame goal plus the game scoring system for that goal would be nice.
Also the difficulty is way too easy, the AI is extremely dumb and short-range and the spawning/despawning system is strange and unlikeable, especially the despawning.

At the moment it is just too much sandbox.. and nothing else, pretty hollow.
You can't even sandbox with a friend together.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Cross thread quote (from here):
Would it be possible to speed up the new explosions a little? It feels like they explode in slow-motion currently, and I think it would look better if they where a little faster. ;)
The damage is applied instantaneously when the missile hits, the artwork takes time to clear with all the fire and smoke (which looks awesome). You'll have to lobby the Art team if you want changes to the effects. Not my call I'm afraid, @Jason Howard and @SadKen may have more to say about it.
I think the new explosions feel too slow too. But the fire and smoke do look cool, and should stick around like that.

It's specifically the whited out area that is the issue. It looks far bigger than before, which makes the explosions look flatter and retro/cheap. I found the old effects quite impressive (however more intensive?).

The new ones also impede vision a little too much, in functional terms, I think.

Are there epilepsy (warning) issues if you make the flash to sudden, or something we're not aware of? @Jason Howard and @SadKen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zargn and Masakari

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
Personally I like the look of the old explosions. They looked like fire and smoke instead of an old timey camera flash from the early 1900's.
The flash isn't fast enough and there is not enough detail to the explosions animation.
I'll take a bit of a hit in the FPS for cool looking explosions! Anyone else feel the same?

Have a good one [8D)

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
I think I'll return to take a look at this game in 6 months or so.
It's just too unfinished and too much weird experimentation going on.
The biggest drawback really is the lack of high-end goal to achieve or goals and perhaps some rudimentary background storyline, so there isn't much to do.
All these blocks and , crafting, base-building, for what? An endgame goal plus the game scoring system for that goal would be nice.
Also the difficulty is way too easy, the AI is extremely dumb and short-range and the spawning/despawning system is strange and unlikeable, especially the despawning.

At the moment it is just too much sandbox.. and nothing else, pretty hollow.
You can't even sandbox with a friend together.
Sendbox is what is good about this game, and it is not hollow as then it would not hold any sand :D.
I just had enough games that have story and when story ends you get ultimately bored. In TT you are either bored from start or you just can not stop playing. You are correct that AI need lot of work, but devs are open about it and they said many time in the past that they just do not have expert for programming Ai, and that it should be solved before full release. I think that slider for difficulty (AI agression level and spamming number) can solve some of these issues.

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
Personally I like the look of the old explosions. They looked like fire and smoke instead of an old timey camera flash from the early 1900's.
The flash isn't fast enough and there is not enough detail to the explosions animation.
I'll take a bit of a hit in the FPS for cool looking explosions! Anyone else feel the same?

Have a good one [8D)
How about an option to switch between the two styles?

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
That could be cool! I think by the time the Dev's are done with the new explosions they will get them looking good again and will hopefully have the same performance gain.

Have a good one [8D)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
If it makes a big performance difference, then would be good to fold it in with the graphics speed settings, rather than a separate tick box; I think Payload really appreciate simplicity of user interface, quite sensibly.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: harpo99999

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
If it makes a big performance difference, then would be good to fold it in with the graphics speed settings, rather than a separate tick box; I think Payload really appreciate simplicity of User interface, quite sensibly.:)
Yeah, but I personally like the new effects. How about basic settings and advanced settings? Basic is what we have now, advanced let's us change all the effects without changing the graphics setting.

Reactions: BenBacon

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
just found this video, and TT animation looks exactly like some of these RL explosions
Nice reference.:)

With all of those explosions, I'm seeing that even at their most whited out, there's always extra details within the brightest areas:

The new TerraTech explosions white outs all seem to merge together, to make it look like a hole burned through an old movie reel (when it gets stuck and overheats).

Also, you can only really see the whited area in this video because the footage is greatly slowed down. Certainly thsi makes them pretier. But the TT explosions can seem a little too ponderous.

Meh; easy to criticise, right?;)

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
Nice reference.:)

With all of those explosions, I'm seeing that even at their most whited out, there's always extra details within the brightest areas:

The new TerraTech explosions white outs all seem to merge together, to make it look like a hole burned through an old movie reel (when it gets stuck and overheats).

Also, you can only really see the whited area in this video because the footage is greatly slowed down. Certainly thsi makes them pretier. But the TT explosions can seem a little too ponderous.

Meh; easy to criticise, right?;)
I agree that white is too big in TT and last too long, but they tried to match explosion with AOE, so we can see AOE... but in real explosion smoke and dust can take too long to calm down... I am still not sure if I like new explosions or not (it is better than old ones, but in same time are bad in different way than old ones), exactly as it look too... empty... inside white area. Maybe image that you made from video is how animation should look like, with smoke inside white area, so it give more 3D felling...

Reactions: ZeroGravitas