[0.7.8.3] Crash - anchored tech intersection (via rotational leverage or solar panels)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
So, this was a fairly inevitable consequence of allowing rotating anchored techs to collide with other anchored techs (I just didn't get around to breaking it in 0.7.8.2.)

Crash dump attached - you know what it will say from other, similar reports.

Yes, I caused this deliberately. But I imagine it happening in Campaign naturally, with large rotating bases/turrets, that have fan assisted turning, intersecting with little turrets, or low crafting crafting bases, that offer up less initial surface resistance.

Also a fair bit in multi-tech builds, as advanced builders try to make cog-work machines.

Possible fix: make anchors breakable, under conditions of excessive (leverage) force. Will then open up a whole new vista of complaints about anchored techs breaking, but heh...

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
You can achieve the same, in a more likely manner, by jacking an anchored tech up on solar panels. Warning: it looks really quite tortuous...:eek::oops:

Time for intersection sensing on solar panel deployment? (Instead of failure to anchor techs when they have downwards extending panels that would cause intersection with the ground, when they deploy, but don't at time of anchoring - confusingly.)

MrTwister

Apr 22, 2017
You can achieve the same, in a more likely manner, by jacking an anchored tech up on solar panels. Warning: it looks really quite tortuous...:eek::oops:

Time for intersection sensing on solar panel deployment? (Instead of failure to anchor techs when they have downwards extending panels that would cause intersection with the ground, when they deploy, but don't at time of anchoring - confusingly.)
Looks like an interesting new tech-torture method. Is this what they call acupuncture?

Sammi

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks for reporting this in. Definitely interesting, but I'm unable to reproduce this on the latest build that we have. We'll look into it more and keep an eye out but if you happen to get it again on future builds it'd be great to let us know!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
I'm unable to reproduce this
Which bit? The intersection or just the crash? Intersection isn't trivial to achieve, via rotation. And crashes aren't immediate.

Here, try this save (attached):

Press shift until one of the 'Popsicle' planes (I added another) is skewered, then jiggle it about a bit. Boost again and go round a few times. You should get it, I think. ;)

Edit: And regarding code fixes for allied tech intersection (which can happen via many routes) - some kind of error handler that disintegrated both techs involved would make most sense. Explosively, why not? Preferably partial disintegration.

Attachments

Sammi

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks @ZeroGravitas ! This was very helpful and definitely made it easier to reproduce. I attempted with different techs before and I couldn't get it to occur. This is definitely the same as the other tech intersecting issue that's currently in our list of bugs to fix. I'll add this extra info on there :)

Reactions: ZeroGravitas