[0.7.8.2] Guns target middle of techs, not their cabs {when it's closer - not a bug}

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
This seems true for friendly/enemy AI and player controlled techs, while shooting at anchored and mobile techs:

Guns target a block close to the centre of an enemy they are shooting, rather than the cab.

e.g. try to shoot this nicely exposed cab on the side of this mobile(ish) tech in R&D save:

AI example:

Attachments

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
How the game decides on where to target an enemy tech is as follows - it first works out the centre of mass, then the location of any cabs on the tech, then aims for the closest one of those two options. In your example @ZeroGravitas , I believe this is exactly what it's doing, as the centre of mass is closer than the cab. However, now we have tech splitting in the game, it might make sense for the game to always target a cab, since targeting the centre of mass might result in you suddenly having two enemies to destroy, not one. What do you guys think?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
it first works out the centre of mass, then the location of any cabs on the tech, then aims for the closest one of those two option
Ah, yes. Rechecking. Indeed it does.

I'd not looked closely at this before, and wondered if changes with targeting cab-less enemy anchors might have affected other things.

trollish Tech that is just a doughnut!
I tried a (vertical) ring shape - it wouldn't shoot through the hole, just shot the block middle bottom, then middle top, bisecting the tech (then repeated).

it might make sense for the game to always target a cab,[...] What do you guys think?
I think it tends to be way too easy to crush all enemies once you're out of very early game. So anything reasonable that keeps it more difficult, should stay in. Going the other way, disabling cab aiming altogether would not be unreasonable, except that it would be more noticeable and problematic very early on.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Going the other way, disabling cab aiming altogether would not be unreasonable, except that it would be more noticeable and problematic very early on.
This is a good point to make. We'd like to keep the early part of the game quite easy. Obviously TerraTech is aimed at kids primarily, but sometimes we've seen at shows that they give up early on because they find it too hard. Difficulty curves are always a difficult thing to balance in games, especially ones aimed towards children.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas