[0.7.7.1/P17625] Huge scenery object. {Giant pillar, changing size.}

Zargn

Administrator
I was flying around, and out of nowhere I found this:

I remember that someone reported a HUGE rock that they found, but I was not able to find the thread. So I created a new one.
And I sadly dont know how to replicate this. :(
After a restart, the pillar was gone. But the save is from before I restarted so it might still be usefull to you.

Finaly, sorry that the archive is taking this long @Adriano, I have been busy with other things. But hopefully I will have it finished before next week. :)

Attachments

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
I was flying around, and out of nowhere I found this:

I remember that someone reported a HUGE rock that they found, but I was not able to find the thread. So I created a new one.
And I sadly dont know how to replicate this. :(
After a restart, the pillar was gone. But the save is from before I restarted so it might still be usefull to you.

Finaly, sorry that the archive is taking this long @Adriano, I have been busy with other things. But hopefully I will have it finished before next week. :)
AWESOME!!!!!! THESE NEED TO BE NOT BUGS!!!! AWESOME BASE LOCATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zargn

Administrator
Eh, I found another one. This time in creative.
AnotherOne.png
And there is a smaller, but still huge pillar further away.

Both times I found these I had been far away, and then returned to the biome. I will do further testing tomorrow if needed.
I tried restarting, and bam, there was a huge pillar right in front of me. And this one was too big to fit in a screenshot...
I recommend you to find a pillar biome, and just restart close to it over and over again. You should find one of these quite quickly.

Last edited:

hyev42

I do find these things cool to find and every time you go back to them they do get bigger. So big that you cant see the ground when you are on top of one. but there is a bug with this bug that after they get so large the game shrinks instead if enlarging them to the point where they are smaller than the gso cab for scale.

Edit: i know they would get small but not that small. (should that even been called a pillar for it size)

also if you see the back ground all the other pillars got shrunk too.
20171002125023_1.jpg

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I remember that someone reported a HUGE rock that they found, but I was not able to find the thread.
Possibly because it was here, on the Steam group.;) (It bothered me enough to track it down.)

"cptSours" seemed to describe exactly what you're saying too (with pillars changing size between loads/revists), getting massive. Apparently @Adriano has already pinned it down from that, and explains:
Nice one mate, I've been able to repeat the issue now with these reproduction steps. For those interested, this is down to how we scale the models in the Pillars biome. Each pillar is identical, and we scale that piece of scenery to produce different sizes of the pillar, to give the biome more variety. You can see this happening with different sizes of trees in other biomes. However in this case the game is not saving the size of the pillars, meaning that they can change size whenever you load a save or head off and return to the area. Will get it logged. In the meantime... probably best not to build a base right on top of a pillar ;)
But your report is far prettier @Zargn.:)

Also seemingly related:
[0.7.6.4] Extremely huge grey rocks - is my save game ruined?
[0.7.6.4] The Emerald City Is back....(graphical bug returns)
[0.7.6.4]Look my supppppppppper big rocks!/where’s my tech!

Although, those were all in 0.7.6 unstable(s), so fixed and this is separate...?

Last edited:

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
I do find these things cool to find and every time you go back to them they do get bigger. So big that you cant see the ground when you are on top of one. but there is a bug with this bug that after they get so large the game shrinks instead if enlarging them to the point where they are smaller than the gso cab for scale.

Edit: i know they would get small but not that small. (should that even been called a pillar for it size)

also if you see the back ground all the other pillars got shrunk too.
View attachment 17504
Tiny little minipillars!!!! So cute!

Well, OK, this is interesting.

Ceans

This happened three days ago, I stopped my tank, anchored on an hill near a pillar biome, and started flying with a plane. I was doing loops while killing some techs NEAR the pillars biome, not in. And a pillar started growing up, it was bigger every time I've seen it.

I've saved my game and restarted the game, it was gone. So it's not very unplayable.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I've merged @Ceans nice, new bug thread report titled "[0.7.7.2] Giant pillar in pillar biome" with this earlier one by Zargyn. Also edited title to make it easier to find - previously: "[0.7.7.1/P17625] Huge scenery object."