[0.7.7.0] Control a Cab-less, Anchor-less tech easily with Undo trick

Discussion in 'Bugs (Stable Only)' started by ZeroGravitas, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

1. Pop the sole cab off an unanchored tech, so it disintegrates.
    2. Move the cab block once (so it makes the taking control click).
    3. Click Undo.
    4. You should now be controlling the re-assembled tech without a cab.

Cab can then be sent to inventory, or whatever (as it's no longer your focus). You can add blocks to a controller-less tech, but removing any will disintegrate it, as if it were a tech death (hanging the rames for a second or two). In campaign, this will bring up the re-spawn dialogue, offering either the cab-less tech or a nearby friendly tech. If you have no techs nearby, you can take the free GSO tech. This is a very cheap and easy way to farm/exploit the charity tech's blocks (if you're very bored). Or just have a pair of GSO 1-blocks dropped from the sky, for giggles.o_O:D

When in control of a cab-less tech: [Tab] key is locked out, as is build beam, [F], [G] amd obviously driving controls, but the anchoring button still works {Edited}.

You can optionally add an AI cab for 'spectator mode' (credit to @Legionite for that phrase, I think, after something similar happned in a CC stream, I think).

Alternative method (in R&D): turn the cab into an enemy after it falls off (to prevent reattachment), as already reported in this thread reply:
    Edit: oh here, have a cab-less auto-snapshot of a pair of GSO 1-blocks. I've got quite a few to spare.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Adriano and Legionite like this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

Also, you can create glitched, floating anchorable blocks using a controller-less tech:
    1. Use above method for cab-free tech.
    2. Attach an block with anchor (e.g. fabricator, etc).
    3. Move block to another position, attached to same cab-less, unanchored tech.
    4. Tech disintegrates, but moved anchor block stays in mid air.
    This can be move around and left to float in there, but doesn't permit block attachment. I've added this as I wondered if it might help pin down a loophole in the code that affects other things in different ways.

[​IMG]

3. ZeroGravitas

And another interesting bug arising from this: it can create loose blocks that won't get pulled in by SCUs:

It's happened for me after making a very large cab-less base tech, then having it disintegrate due to block damage from a small fall. I'd guess that the block not being picked up is one of those that took damage...

Snapshot used and output log (that might have other stuff happening too) attached. Save with unsuckable blocks from a previous test, also included (don't know if it'll re-load the problem).

Again, I posted this in case this behaviour is revealing any hidden code flaws; clearly not going to be a direct problem for players.

Attached Files:

4. Adriano

Adriano PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Thanks @ZeroGravitas , I'm only able to repeat this if I remove the block next to the cab to disconnect it, not by removing the cab itself. Is that what you found too? Cheers :)

5. ZeroGravitas

Yes, that's what I meant by "pop it off"; clicking the cab directly is no good for causing this situation. (I should have been slightly more specific.)

Adriano likes this.
  6. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero NeedsAFaceOrFourAndOneThirdGiveOrTakeALittleBit

20180709204008_1.jpg
    Now isn't that great. I'm sitting in a tech with no cab in it. I somehow managed to do this by removing a block with a thing on it, removing my cab, then clicking undo. Maybe I should've tried to create a snapshot of the tech. I guess I will now.

7. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero NeedsAFaceOrFourAndOneThirdGiveOrTakeALittleBit

Here's another example:
    20180709205006_1.jpg
    Step 1: Remove Block with light on it.
    Step 2: Remove cab without clicking undo.
    Step 3: Click undo, and you have control of the tech.
    Note: If you unanchor, you will die and respawn again.
    "Broken" Tech snapshot shown. I suppose this is useful for building AI only stuff without having to stick your cab on the thing.

Attached Files:

8. Galrex

Galrex Well-Known Member

After several experimentation, here is a weird but interesting finding from me.
    Wut.jpg wut2.jpg wut3.jpg

I'm now the venture AI module but unfortunately unable to control it.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  9. Galrex

Galrex Well-Known Member

When I get a cab and switch to it, I cannot switch back to the AI module. Ofc...

10. ZeroGravitas

I've merged @NotExactlyHero's new thread titled "[0.8.2] Controlling Techs Without Cabs" with this existing one on the same topic.

Thanks for the report and the extra information: so you don't need to 'pop off' the cab to get this to work. Just having (re)moved it in between breaking the tech and undoing it. :)

11. Dynamix

Dynamix Do you want to have a GOOD time?

I got the same results as yours,but with the GSO Gruntle AI instead.
    (Fun fact:They love to play fetch!)

Galrex likes this.
  12. Galrex

Galrex Well-Known Member

But I can't really get this work. Did I miss anything? or has it been patched out?

13. ZeroGravitas

Quite possibly (I'd have to check to be sure). A different method for floating anchors was patched, I believe...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018