[0.7.6] Missing block orientations (master list)

Discussion in 'Bugs (Stable Only)' started by ZeroGravitas, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Hawkeye Plume Wing - has no stop for flat against side of tech, wing edge pointing up or down. (I'd add a picture, but heh...:p)

Hawkeye Flat Brackets - have several orientations locked out (as shown in video). An old report from January, by @Sylver.

Venture Double Block - Can not be rotated flat 180 so that slanted grove on the side angles down towards the back of the tech.
    [​IMG]

Crafting Blocks - the GSO & Venture refineries, all 4 fabricators, GSO scrapper, GeoCorp and GSO (anchored and unanchored) furnace generators and Delivery canons are all locked to the horizontal orientation. Unlike the newer refineries, auto-miner, other 3 scrappers and GSO component factory (which seems to have an endless precession of unhelpfully random orientations).

The argument with these is that this limitation is to ensure things are fairly simple and slick for newbies building their first crafting bases (tricky enough as it is). From this reply by @saiwun, last year:
    But maybe it could be time to unlock these. Instead, make all the crafting blocks re-orient in a more understandable, logical sequence: all horizontal ones first, then all the ones in another plane, etc. (Maybe also have a new key to reset the orientation to default - thinking of the factories...).

Obviously the delivery canons should have to point upwards to word (as the auto-miners), but if the next one is being 'fixed', then locking any blocks to the tech's initial orientation wouldn't make much sense.

Edit 2017-11-10: Made an info-graphic of all the crafting block orientation possibilities for my Crafting Guide:
    [​IMG]

Primary cabs - have no re-orientation allowance at all. Acknowledged as a bug:
    However, this does help to stop (new) players creating a mismatch between the tech's current orientation and and the grid's native co-ordinate system (which is sometimes used by the game, spuriously).

Solar Panels - no rotation around long axis.

More? - These are hard to notice (until you do), so let me know of ones I've missed and link me to any outstanding bug reports. Cheers.:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Masakari, Legionite and Zed like this.
  2. Legionite

Legionite Airborne AI Assembler

This one needs attention.
    It pretty much drives me crazy when I am trying build a Tech that requires such a block to know that it is totally incapable of reaching that one position it needs to be in to make the design work...

Many more HK Techs may easily be possible with this fix, mainly some aircraft designs.

A toggle-able button in settings should do the trick.
    "Enable/Disable Advanced Base Placement"

3. Boomik

Boomik ...

Also, please PLEASE change the number of orientations the Hawkeye 2 block has. Make it the same as GSO because no one will go through that just to have a perfect designed block.

Legionite and Masakari like this.
  4. Masakari

Masakari Well-Known Member Most Ingenious

Base blocks (fabricators, refineries, delivery cannon, CFs, etc.) SHOULD have all flat/horizontal orientations ran through first before any sideways or upside down facings. Annoys me to no end having to place the CFs as it runs through all odd placements before the last horizontal that I'm needing. Can somewhat circumvent this by limiting it with placing a block above and below which prevents sideways facings....but still just a band-aid, jury rigged fix for it.

5. ZeroGravitas

Added the above to top post, following this comment (elsewhere):
    I think maybe this is because the model for this block was modified recently.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  6. Adriano

Adriano PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Cheers guys, have added a ticket for this, feel free to add more to this thread if you find any :)

7. ZeroGravitas

Oh, (GSO) Solar Panels seem to have no rotation at all around their long axis, so the blue panels themselves always face the ground when laid flat, extending backwards.

Kind of irritating, but presumably there to keep things simple for newbies at early stages of the game...?

Legionite and Lord Zarnox like this.
  8. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Not to mention the fact it looks stupid...

Legionite and ZeroGravitas like this.
  9. ZeroGravitas

Added crafting block info-graphic (all the latest crafting blocks are on freely rotatable, even the delivery canons, heh).

10. ZeroGravitas

Holy mackerel! I think the Hawkeye Flat Bracket orientations have finally been fixed (in one patch or other, recently)! Should have been a headline bug fix!;) Haven't tested any of the others, above, in 0.7.8.4, yet.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  11. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hey All,

I'm updating a bunch of things from this thread at the moment.

Updated Rotation Options for the following Blocks:

- Hawkeye Plume Wing has no restrictions.

- Venture Long Block has no restrictions.

- GSO Solar Panel has no restrictions.

- Hawkeye Two Block has no restrictions. (I didn't change this one, it was already the case)

- GSO Component Factory can only be placed upright.

- GSO Auto Miner can only be placed upright.

- GeoCorp Refinery can only be placed upright.

- Hawkeye Refinery can only be placed upright.

- EXP Plasma Furnace can only be placed upright.

I have no control over the rotation ordering, in some cases it will do the upright ones first, but depending on the placement and number of APs connecting the Block tot he placement location, it will sometimes choose other orientations before doing all upright ones. the best I can do to make the Upright ones get top priority is to restrict rotations to only have the top ones. Blocks like the Component Factory are really bad offenders for going through the wrong ones first, so that's why I've restricted the options for it.

I've limited the Auto Miner because it can only be used upright anyway, so it's only for transporting that it might want to be sideways, which is a minor use case considering most Players keep them in inventories.

The Refineries are restricted to keep step with the GSO limitations.

The Deli Cannons have already been restricted in an earlier change I made, I don't know if that's in your build or not, but I thought I'd mention it here, in case you guys call it out as missing. Obviously, Deli Cannons look goofy as heck working upside down and don't make sense in the context of the game.

Anyway, make a good case for any changes in either direction here and I'll read and respond. Thanks!

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

Oooh sh.... sugar! That would really mess me up - making most of my crafting techs impossible, including ones already in my Steam guide and possibly killing my YouTube crafting series.

My 3rd episode was entirely about building and using a compact, mobile crafting tech which has a sideways Component Factory (what's your internal slang for these, like the "Deli Canons"?)...

... And my use of re-oriented Comp-Facts (urrh, sounds stupid) is set to increase with higher levelled Fabrication techs. Like the mobile crafter I submitted to the Megatech competition (and was Tweeted out by you guys), where they are wrapped around underneath, for necessary space efficiency and elegance:

And my top-of-the-line guide example, the "CFS Godzilla", which necessarily uses orthogonal CF's for ultimate crafting speed efficiency (also seen by the art team in Community Core):
    1191458767_preview_ZG OptiCFS Godzilla.png

There are many others I've made but not published yet, as the guide has focused disproportionately on minimal, flat setups that make the topology easier to see at a glance.

But, yeah, the CFs are horrible to place. Hence my suggestion to implement an (alternative) oreientation system. Is that beyond the planned tweaks/improvements to block placement, scheduled in before 1.0? Or just undesirable?

I very much understand the need to have building be an intuitive no-brainer for newbies, in particular. Hence why we were asking for a new tick-box option (or keyed toggle, perhaps), when Jamie was asking which wheels should be restricted:
    Would this be a lot of code work, or relatively simple? (You may confer.;))

I really don't want to see TerraTech crafting become even more restricted, paint by numbers, pancake bases only. Currently that has been the norm. But more involved designs do have appeal - certainly some of my viewers only took interest in the game after seeing that it has some depth to the crafting system.

Deeper, more imaginative game play, beyond the imaginings of the devs, is what makes games like Minecraft, etc, so popular. "What, barely anyone would you want to use a wheel as a hat, don't be silly", etc. (I think I went a bit overboard with my 'case making' here, sorry.:oops::rolleyes:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. ZeroGravitas

Isn't this going to make placing solar generators 4x as fiddly (for newbies)? Not that I'm against being able to re-orient these, for aesthetics. (Perfect example for tick-box restricting orientation locking.)

Makes sense to unify. But of course I was hoping Refineries would be unlocked, as this has hobbled my space/speed optimised crafting designs.

What about blocks like the GeoCorp big block, which are horrible to place centred, flat atop a 2x2 block, for example? No way around that I guess...

14. Lord Zarnox

Maybe an alternative solution is to make one for a different corporation that is an exact clone of the GSO one, but without orientation restrictions. Sure, it will probably cause confusion when it is later changed, but until then, it may help. Maybe give it to Hawkeye, and have it more armored, similar to the Hawkeye SCU basically being a clone of the GSO SCU.
    @ZeroGravitas What do you think of this temporary workaround?

15. ZeroGravitas

Too messy, quite frankly.:p;)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  16. Lord Zarnox

Yeah, that's what I thought. At least I put the idea out there, just in case.

17. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Ok, I don't want to mess up your designs and guide @ZeroGravitas so I'll leave the Comp-Fact (*shhhudder*) unrestricted.

Yes, a checkbox would be the right answer and yes, it wouldn't be too much work, you're all correct, but the Code team are very busy trying to get MP finished amongst other things and so they cannot be distracted with any other work at the moment. So that will have to wait.

ZeroGravitas and Lord Zarnox like this.
  18. Lord Zarnox

What else would be prioritised before a checkbox for this? Just asking so we can make a very rough estimate as to how long before we get it (in terms of number of updates).

19. ZeroGravitas

Oh, cool.:) Well... Anyone now struggling with placing them, you can just #BlameZero! :eek:;)

And thanks for your candour about development.

Closely related issue, @zanzistar, at the risk of guilt tripping you further :oops:, what about the techs broken by the new wheel orientation limitations?:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Lord Zarnox likes this.
  20. ZeroGravitas

@zanzistar - I don't think either of us mentioned the GSO scrapper, above, but that's now rotation unlocked (in 0.8.1.1)... Intended?

I'll not complain, because I can probably find a use for this (although GSO Refinery would be more useful), but I noticed that for Craftier Business II, the provided Scrapper tries to attach upside-down to the mission base, requiring a few rotation stops to fix it.