[0.7.6.7] Terrain generation bug (open gaps between biomes) {tears in the world}

Discussion in 'TT Unstable (Bugs & Feedback)' started by wotikins, Sep 10, 2017.

1. wotikins

wotikins Well-Known Member

Edited by @ZeroGravitas on 2018-03-10 for illustrative purposes:
    [​IMG]
    End of edit.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
    ZeroGravitas likes this.
  2. wotikins

Update: i went back into the save file, the terrain decided to generate itself and the cab that i threw off the cliff is back, meaning that where once was some grasshills there is now saltflats.. wat?
    @Adriano

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Hmm, interesting. So maybe not a terrain generation fault; maybe a map chunk loading error, with the treadmill system placing a segment of the world about 200m(?) or more, out of position...?

If so, that's interesting, since I've been wondering about the dimensions of the map chunks (for bug finding/busting research). And you may have just directly shown us.:) (From the co-ordinate in the video, the width of that slab of hill is about 300m, I think.)

Obviously if reloading the save doesn't show any fault, then it's likely that a log file would be what the devs really need to figure out what happened here. Presumably too late for this instance, but if you or anyone see it happen again, be good to copy out the active log from the game's directory, before re-launching the game again.:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER (on roleplay holiday)

CAVES!!! OK, wat? That is weird. How did you fly through the ground?

5. Adriano

Adriano PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hey @wotikins , did you happen to update before this happened? How long had you been playing for before you noticed it? Did you have to travel far after loading before seeing it? And did you happen to keep you output log from when it happened? Even better would be a copy of the save game before this occurred too, since reloading the save isn't very helpful unfortunately. Thanks :)

6. wotikins

Ive been playing on that save file for about 2-3 hours, i didnt travel far, as soon as i loaded up the game it was there and the same way i loaded it again it was fixed

7. ZeroGravitas

So, I think I had this same world tile mis-load / mis-alignment (or terrain joining error?) happen to me in 0.7.7.2, when exiting to main menu brawl (interested @Django?):
    [​IMG]

Log file attached (I'd been working on my Mediocre Bubble Contraption in R&D for a good while before hand.)

Bonus: in video of terrain glictch, a HE tech gets randomly flung off the screen by a physics idiosyncrasy (upon tech slitting, I think):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    JimmyBlether likes this.
  8. Django

Django PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Not my area I'm afraid.
    We'confirmed this still happens internally on latest code.
    As you noticed it isn't consistent unfortunately. The same seed + location generates correctly most of the time; only sometimes does it fail to generate the correct terrain on one of the tiles.

We're tracking down the cause of this but with the stable only 2 weeks away it may not end up fixed before then.
    Luckily it doesn't happen often and it seems to resolve itself on reload.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  9. FreedomGearGaming

FreedomGearGaming New Member

As requested by ZeroGravitas, this is the most recent output log from my game, in which the land generation occurred.
    At least when you fall to far the game spawns you in once again

Attached Files:

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  10. ZeroGravitas

And OK to embed one of your images (from Discord) too? (Because I like pics.) [​IMG]

No save file just before this (not one that causes it to re-occur, anyway)?

Adriano likes this.
  11. FreedomGearGaming

FreedomGearGaming New Member

I didn't not think to export the save file, sorry about that
    as soon as i reloaded the game, the arid/rocky biome was gone and everything was back to sand like it was meant to be
    The footage of the first encounter of this event can be found here

(clip starts at 25m 43s)

and this one is just a link to later in the video of jumping into the void

(the link may not work correctly, this clip starts at 28m 15s)

Adriano likes this.
  12. xSoNz

xSoNz Well-Known Member

Well, I saved my progress like, yesterday, and I came today to play TT, opened the last save (continue) and this happened.
    I know that some1 had this problem too, but ehh it's not a big deal, i'll just go away from it.

Attached Files:

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  13. JimmyBlether

Umm, we are in 0.7.8.2 presently, but I see a LOT of terrain breakage.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  14. xSoNz

xSoNz Well-Known Member

yeah, i forgot that it's 0.7.8.2 lol
    EDIT:
    Well actually when i re-opened the game and re-continued the campaign without saving, it fixed itself, nice!

JimmyBlether likes this.
  15. JimmyBlether

Noice!

16. ZeroGravitas

You guys (or the ones whose area this is) made progress on this bug yet?

I just had a major occurrence of it:

[​IMG]

Seemed to be a double (or triple) tile world mis-placement (more extensive exploration recorded to video, but presumably not helpful to show).

Log attached (copied out around the point of screenshot).

Game version 0.7.8.0.

I had just been in a new Creative world, to look at this massive, crafting base (by @MrTwister):
    SBase MainBase Mk7f.png

Then loaded up this old campaign of mine (where the pictured glitch happened), from months back (attached), which seems to have the (erroneous) "Position blocked" bug, in progress, causing a lot of frame rate drop. Frame rate spontaneously recovered to normal, just before stumbling across the glitched terrain.

Graphics were on "Fastest".

Could not repeat terrain glitch by repeating the steps I took. But I did see a little terrain glitch in the main menu, after re-loading the massive base (two copies) in creative for a second time. So maybe a memory leak?

Or a threading cock up, if related to the "position blocked" FPS degradation...?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  17. ZeroGravitas

Have just merged @xSoNz's new thread titled "[0.7.8.2] Saved, when opened again, rip world" with this existing one on the same issue. (I'd not seen it yesterday when I happened to make my reply, above.:confused:)

Added "{tears in the world}" to title.

@xSoNz, @JimmyBlether - are there any common factors with your experience of this bug? e.g.:
    • Just re-loaded the save.
    • Having loaded in very large techs before hand (maybe in a different game mode).
    • Substantial FPS drop (for no reason), before seeing the glitch.
    • Graphics set to "fastest".

18. JimmyBlether

Never encountered it, sorry.

19. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} [REDACTED]

I've encountered the terrain seam bug twice.

I don't think I just re-loaded the save when it happened, although I might have.

I'm pretty sure I have my graphics set to "Fast".

I don't think I can remember any common things that happened both times.

20. ZeroGravitas

....o_O:confused: