[0.7.6.4] Spacetime warping.

Less than an hour ago, I was minding my own business with my somewhat big vehicle when suddenly I was somewhere totally different and I had a vey small and beat up vehicle that I remember from when I first started. I have no idea how I switched from my big vehicle to this one. Can someone help me?

Additional Info:
My hand was on the leftmost side of the keyboard when it happened.

I have encountered the tech duplication bug twice. Also, would it work to go back to an older save file if I have one?

Edit: Does the time travel glitch really work like time travel? I managed to find my base and it was just as I had left it, and with the same vehicles.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I've merged @MasonatorRoblox's new thread, from the "Community help" section, titled "Tech Switching?" with this existing report about the main bug described.

Now it just happened 2 times in 20 minutes!
Yeah, I think the problems tend to get worst (or at least keep happening).

would it work to go back to an older save file if I have one?
Yes, probably, if you have one from before the duplication first happened (might be hard to tell).

@Adriano, @Sammi, @kae - any news on pinning down (or solving) these related bugs? Or better advice to give players?

I've got it down to where I can replicate it consistently. When I am done compressing the video I will post it.

Edit: I got it twice in my about-one-minute video. Compressing it now.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh cool (sorry I've only just noticed your last post). Well done. Do you have the save file for just before that too? Although I'm not sure if that's especially helpful for the devs, given that it's not that first time that happens. But describing reproduction steps might still help them.

Your video appears to hang a lot. That's the game actually hanging then? And this only happens with the glitch, right? (Not generally atrocious performance on your PC?)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
@Adriano, @Sammi, @kae (who'd you prefer me to tag in future?) - I've had to give a fair few players the bad news, recently, regarding this bug (and tech duplication, assuming it's related). E.g. last one on Steam here, and in the help section here (probably related).

So, just to say that this is still a pressing issue, and it's continuing to totally mess up player's campaign games. Any official advice would be appreciated, if different to my 'abandon all hope' line.;)

Saints_Blizzard

Certified warhammer40k nerd
@Adriano, @Sammi, @kae (who'd you prefer me to tag in future?) - I've had to give a fair few players the bad news, recently, regarding this bug (and tech duplication, assuming it's related). E.g. last one on Steam here, and in the help section here (probably related).

So, just to say that this is still a pressing issue, and it's continuing to totally mess up player's campaign games. Any official advice would be appreciated, if different to my 'abandon all hope' line.;)

tonight at seven, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Still ongoing I'm afraid @ZeroGravitas , no luck so far. All I can recommend at the moment is for players to back up their save games. Rolling back to a point before the warping happens might stop it from happening a second time, however we can't be certain how far back players might need to go. IIRC all examples of this have warped players back maybe an hour or so in gameplay at most, which could mean quite a bit of progress lost for some players. Best we can do atm I'm afraid bugbotsad

Oh cool (sorry I've only just noticed your last post). Well done. Do you have the save file for just before that too? Although I'm not sure if that's especially helpful for the devs, given that it's not that first time that happens. But describing reproduction steps might still help them.

Your video appears to hang a lot. That's the game actually hanging then? And this only happens with the glitch, right? (Not generally atrocious performance on your PC?)
Sometimes I get some lag spikes here and there when I'm playing normally, but most of the lag that you saw was caused by the switching. Since I was able to replicate the glitch twice in the video, I'd say that it's not that difficult to do so.

Estecka

Website
Estecka.deviantart.com
Story Time :
I was airborne, flying my first and only plane toward a Carbite plantation nearby.
In a blink of an eye, I find myself teleported right next to my destination, on the ground, safe and sound, but confused as hell.

What happened :
The tech I was flying got duplicated as I was flying it, and I was forced into controlling the duplicate instead of the original.

Details :
- You don't actually need to fly the original plane to trigger the hijack. Any tech will do, but you will always find a duplicate of that one plane.
- Editing or renaming the original plane before triggering the bug will not alter the duplicate plane in any way, Like it's a snapshot of the past. (Probably why the duplicate appeard so far away instead of where I was.)
- Backstory of this save :
The previous time I played was the very time I built all there is in that salt desert, right before saving and quitting. Again, I 100% confirm the second plane wasn't there last time.
Also it looks like the plantation got duplicated as well.
-By playing the video frame-by-frame , there is exactly One(1) frame where you can see my plantation afar before you get teleported to it. I "think" the duplicated tech is actually visible on this one frame but it's hard to tell.

Reproduction steps :
1- Load the attached save file. You should find yourself as shown in the video above.
2- Rename the plane and/or edit it, for the sake of differentiating it from its duplicate. E.g: put a GSO buzz striplight on its back.
3- Fly North-North-East, toward the friendly tech on the minimap.
4- On the very moment the mining plantation becomes visible afar, you'll be teleported right next to it.
5- As soon as you get hijacked, look back. You'll see the original plane high up, falling.
6- Reunite with the original tech. See is how the duplicate didn't inherit the edits you made in the beginning.

To conclude, if I had to fully describe the bug in one sentence :
It tears your soul out of your body, then force it into a pale copy of your former self.

Attachments

Last edited:

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
Story Time :
I was airborne, flying my first and only plane toward a Carbite plantation nearby.
In a blink of an eye, I find myself teleported right next to my destination, on the ground, safe and sound, but confused as hell.

What happened :
The tech I was flying got duplicated as I was flying it, and I was forced into controlling the duplicate instead of the original.

Details :
- You don't actually need to fly the original plane to trigger the hijack. Any tech will do, but you will always find a duplicate of that one plane.
- Editing or renaming the original plane before triggering the bug will not alter the duplicate plane in any way, Like it's a snapshot of the past. (Probably why the duplicate appeard so far away instead of where I was.)
- Backstory of this save :
The previous time I played was the very time I built all there is in that salt desert, right before saving and quitting. Again, I 100% confirm the second plane wasn't there last time.
Also it looks like the plantation got duplicated as well.
-By playing the video frame-by-frame , there is exactly One(1) frame where you can see my plantation afar before you get teleported to it. I "think" the duplicated tech is actually visible on this one frame but it's hard to tell.

Reproduction steps :
1- Load the attached save file. You should find yourself as shown in the video above.
2- Rename the plane and/or edit it, for the sake of differentiating it from its duplicate. E.g: put a GSO buzz striplight on its back.
3- Fly North-North-East, toward the friendly tech on the minimap.
4- On the very moment the mining plantation becomes visible afar, you'll be teleported right next to it.
5- As soon as you get hijacked, look back. You'll see the original plane high up, falling.
6- Reunite with the original tech. See is how the duplicate didn't inherit the edits you made in the beginning.

To conclude, if I had to fully describe the bug in one sentence :
It tears your soul out of your body, then force it into a pale copy of your former self.
Okaaaaaaayyyyyyy...

Tech duplication bug...

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Brilliant bug report @Estecka.:D Great job capturing this pristine video of the whole thing too! And you say that reloading your save game (on a fresh re-start of TerraTech) causes it to happen again, just the same? [Edit: it does! I've just tested it. + Triggers the Terrain misplacement bug repeatedly, amazing!] That could be very handy for the devs... (@kae check this out, etc.:))

Have you seen any duplication or teleportation previous to this? Is this your first time?

Also, have you re-launched the game since it first happened? If not it would be great if you can upload your Output_log.txt file from "C:\Users\[Win User]\AppData\LocalLow\Payload\TerraTech" too.

And do you have the save game previous to this too (please)?

I've merged your new thread, titled "[0.8.1] Hijacked out of my tech back into my past self" with this old one because it appears to be the same, troublesome time/space warping bug, or equally, the increasingly troublesome tech duplication bug (they are intertwined, probably the same thing, right @Django?).

By playing the video frame-by-frame , there is exactly One(1) frame where you can see my plantation afar before you get teleported to it. I "think" the duplicated tech is actually visible on this one frame but it's hard to tell.
Yes, I played it back at 0.25 speed in YouTube and it looks like that base you get teleported to is loaded that frame. Also the mini-map vanishes.

I put the co-ordinates into a spreadsheet to see the offsets involved and distances. Distance teleported was very close to the distance flown from the first base, in the same direction. So you were roughly equidistant between the two when it happened. So one unloading pretty much as the other loaded. (Which might be a strange co-incidence, or a cause, perhaps...?)

One of each of those co-ordinates lies on a world tile seam too, as it happens (again co-incidence or related).

And this problem only started after the introduction of the troublesome treadmill world system, right? So all these things coming together can cause a CPU threading race condition, or loading of uncleared old junk data, or whatever is happening...?

Last edited:

Estecka

Website
Estecka.deviantart.com
@ZeroGravitas
Yes, this bug never fails to happen on this save even after a fresh restart of the game.

I never had teleportation before, but this save already had a couple cases of duplications : once on a different mining-plant of mine, once on an enemy base I had to capture (while its duplicate couldn't be captured).

Output_log fresh off the oven after re-enacting the bug.
Had a peek by myself, found this pretty line saying :
adding visible #23596 'Air Recon': ID clash with 'Air Recon'

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I never had teleportation before, but this save already had a couple cases of duplications
Ah, OK. So it's not groundbreakingly exciting for the duplication glitch bug, then - the devs need to catch it first kicking in. Once it has, the save file will keep causing it until something goes so wrong as to prevent it loading.

But for the terrain generation bug you may have presented a real win (I hope). Had you seen stuff like this too?:

Side note: I also had the plane spontaneously disintegrate (the one you get switched to), showing damage, on two occasions after causing the glitch afresh. But unfortunately I didn't manage to capture that on video. I think I'd edited the tech on both instances and it was near the trade station in between the bases. Seen that too?

Estecka

Website
Estecka.deviantart.com
Ah, OK. So it's not groundbreakingly exciting for the duplication glitch bug, then - the devs need to catch it first kicking in.
After someone told me how the saves tend to die in the end, I decided to start a new game, save it often, and never overwrite a previous save, to make sure I always have one un-infected file.
If the duplication bug kicks in I'll have plenty of snapshot of that save for you. ;)

However, I never saw this kind of terrain deformation before; this one is a first !

I never had techs spontaneously disintigrate, but I've had a single block do that after I picked it up.
I also noticed blocks that would appear damaged for no known reason, and yet would not heal. Most notably : the anchor at the bottom of Turret Joe did that everytime I visited him. (Unfortunately I now have dismantled him on this save.)

On a side note:
I have more bases on this save you might want to visit, but you can't see them on the map from here.
- Fly straight south across the mountains and a desert. Close to the edge of a forest, you'll find a trading station with a few techs.
- From there, go East while following the edge of that forest. Right on the edge, you'll find a Erudite mining plant that has been duplicated once before.