[0.7.5] Ambient monument 'Dummm' sound continues on pause, tab out.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
The, slow, low pitched, reverberating bass drum/thrum sound effect from the monuments/monoliths/obelisks continues to play when game is paused (unlike all other sound effects). Continues even when tabbed out. Turn your sound on for video demonstration...
This sound effect is cool and mysterious, but also super-obnoxious; there is no way that I could stand to site a base anywhere near one of these cool features, because of the noise. After five minutes in the area (which is a pretty wide radius), I start hallucinating that I can still hear it when I can't. Very distracting. Turning off the in-game sound-effects altogether not a better option either (silence).

Suggest having this ringing bass noise desist after 20 seconds or so of returning to it's range. Or better still, making it so that planting any anchored tech on it (or next to it) causes it to shut up entirely. Even more mysterious and intriguing this way. ;)

Bonus - Annoying wheel ambient road noise/clattering:

I couldn't figure out what a clattering sound was, first time in campaign. Eventually figured it was the wheels on one of my venture techs. Initially thought that one was damaged and 'complaining'. Later found the ambient noise for these just suddenly kicks in when having 10 or more in contact with the ground. 8 or more with the Hawk Eye wheels demonstrated in video.

Sounds broken. Please consider removing this when vehicles are stationary. Or at the least scaling it in more gradually as wheels are added.

[Save file of demonstrated world attached for easy retesting.]

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Did you see and log this @Adriano? (Sound FXs seem topical at the moment, so thought I'd poke.)

And the HE ambient wheel/engine sound has indeed been made a lot quieter since this post. Possibly Venture ambient wheel/engine noise is less rattly too, it seems. Cool.:) Overhauled the mechanic behind engaging the sounds too? (When and how loud, etc.)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
What's this noise you're talking about? I don't hear anything in the actual game.
:confused: If you don't hear anything while near a monument, then you either you have you SFX volume (or general volume) turned down, or are relying on laptop speakers or terrible headphones. It's a very deep, low frequency, drum beat about every 5 seconds. Heard throughout the embedded video, above.

(And I just checked, the issue with it continuing on game pause and tab out is definitely still there.)

Last edited:

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
:confused: If you don't hear anything while near a monument, then you either you have you SFX volume (or general volume) turned down, or are relying on laptop speakers or terrible headphones. It's a very deep, low frequency, drum beat about every 5 seconds. Heard throughout the embedded video.

(And I just checked, the issue with it continuing on game pause and tab out is definitely still there.)
Well, that explains it. I have laptop speakers since I only like to use laptops because of how easy it is to carry them.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Gahh... So we have this in R&D now too!

As per my suggestion thread, I find the low pitched, repetitive "duuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm......" of the monument drums very distracting. Too annoying to build on them, and audible for well beyond max vision range. (This is even more of a noticeable nuisance when speeding up video footage, which increases the frequency and the speed of the drumming.)

I don't know if their sound effects combine to increase the volume, too?

I just noticed their sound while testing in R&D, when I parked way up by the brick test target.... With the game paused and tabbed out! I.e. this bug clearly still applies.

Please, please modify the usage of this sound effect to be under more limited range and circumstance.