[0.7.3.4] What I can say of the gameplay so far

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
Pardon me for the vague thread title - I don't know what to put there, haha :)

SO! I've been playing on TT_Unstable (on campaign) since yesterday, plenty of good stuff has been added and plenty of changes too.

I've got some insight and questions, so please bear with me.

1) The resources do not re-spawn now - this is a game-changer.
  • This forces players to roam more for resources, which is good IMO, as it stops players from feeling bored by collecting the same outcrop of ores every other minute. I've felt that too in the previous build.
  • IMO however, it forced me to build small bases or be nomadic (Not building bases at all) because why do I need to build a large base if eventually, my resource pool will be so far away from my base? This also applies for auto-miner bases.
  • My concern here is for those who love building large bases for long-term use. What are our tools to fix our logistics?
  • Will we be having AI to harvest far and wide?
  • Will we be having more mobile versions of manufacturing blocks? Mobile scrapping perhaps? How about a way to instantly build our base via blueprint?
  • Will we be having a way to store our resources just like the SCU does?
  • (This one's been discussed before but I'll add it since it also solves this problem) What about toggling anchor blocks to anchor or not anchor?
  • I pointed this out is mainly because of the "Component Factory". It forced me to build big, which is fine. But it feels like a paradox - How do I build a fabricator base if my resources are too far? (Excluding scrapping blocks)

2) Buffed GeoCorp wheel weight capacity and new Geocorp treads! Beautiful. Carry on.:p

3) The Auto-miner gives a good depth to base-building and I like it overall. However I noticed that there's no plug for conveyors. It'd be nice to give it one, for ease of use.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Hermit_Blake

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
I might have heard somewhere that the "treasure blocks" that will be implemented soon can be stored in SCUs. This means you can pack up your base, compress your resources into treasure blocks, move somewhere else, and scrap the treasure blocks to release the resources again.

I think mobile scrappers would also be a great addition. There's just one problem with mobile scrapping currently - do the devs want to add four different mobile scrappers, which would take up way too much space on a mobile tech, or do they want to make a mobile scrapper able to scrap all corporations - which is kind of overpowered as you can then create "fake bases" (friendly techs with no wheels that are able to utilise the overpowered all-purpose scrapper without worrying about mobility limitations. They're basically bases with no anchors.). I'm not sure how the devs are going to get around this, as this could become a game exploit.

I think AI harvesters are going to be the way we are going to get around the problem of resources that don't respawn. The devs have to limit what can be done in a mobile base, because if mobile bases become more of an option, they will eventually become the only option and regular bases will become redundant. AI harvesters allow resources to be transported to stationary bases easily, saving plenty of time for the player. I suppose we're just going to have to wait until we are able to create harvesting AI.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
making auto-miners resources non-exhaustible, but auto-miner lot slower can solve problem on some resources. Auto-miner that work on all (but wood) can be full solution. One resource per two-three minutes can be good, as you will get them slowly, you have to build mining mini bases, but you will have steady flow of all resources. This will increase traveling for those who want to make more mine bases so they can cover lot of resources and make more blocks... to make more mining bases... to make more blocks.... to be able to travel further to make more mining bases... ...

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
IMO however, it forced me to build small bases or be nomadic (Not building bases at all) because why do I need to build a large base if eventually, my resource pool will be so far away from my base? This also applies for auto-miner bases.
We are going to add the ability to 'pack-up' a Tech and place it in the SCU. This will mean you can build huge bases and still keep them relatively mobile.
Will we be having AI to harvest far and wide?
Potentially, yes! AI certainly needs some improvements -- especially in the harvesting area.
Will we be having more mobile versions of manufacturing blocks? Mobile scrapping perhaps? How about a way to instantly build our base via blueprint?
The packing and unpacking into the SCU feature should provide this :)
Will we be having a way to store our resources just like the SCU does?
We're thinking about experimenting with something like this. "Treasure Blocks".
What about toggling anchor blocks to anchor or not anchor?
Also planned.

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
@Jamie Thanks for reading! All of the answers are great. An extra question, will we be having XL tank treads (Think mobile bases) in the future? Possibly after 1.0? :D