[0.7.3.0] Component Factory orders resources even though it cannot produce components

Deemedrol

Oct 12, 2016
Okay, so here's the deal. If the Component Factory already produced a component and it stays on its red pad, it cannot produce new components until its red pad has been cleared. However, it will still order resources from Refineries/Silos. What happens next is interesting: it will produce another component chunk that cannot spawn, since the red pad is occupied. After that, it will order more resources, consume SOME of it (if it requires Rubber and Fibron, it will consume either all Rubber it needs or all Fibron it needs, but not both), and a second resource type will clutter the conveyor system, since it wasn't consumed.

A picture to clarify:

1. Component Factory has its red pad occupied by the component it produced.
  2. Component Factory has produced another component which cannot spawn, so the component stays "inside" the factory, waiting to spawn.
  3. Component Factory has ordered another set of resources and already consumed one type of resource (Rubber).
  4. Component Factory requires 2 Fibron chunks, but it cannot consume a second type of resource. The first chunk stays on the green pad, waiting until Component Factory is able to consume it.
  5. The second Fibron chunk cannot travel to the Component Factory because the green pad is already occupied. Since it has no other choice, it continues to travel down the conveyor line.
  6. Component Factory sees that it cannot consume Fibron chunk from the step 5 anymore, so it orders another one from the system. The bug returns to the step 5 and loops.
While I know that technically it's not a bug, it can be very annoying to deal with in some factory setups, so what I propose is simple: instead of the current system, Component Factory will ONLY order new resources when it is able to produce it (so it's not occupied by a resource that wasn't spawned yet), which will remove this bug and simplify the system at the same time. I think that the "component was built already but wasn't spawned, but the system still orders new resources" mechanic in unintuitive, and should be removed from both Component Factories and Refineries (and other blocks that produce chunks).

Last edited:

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Are there many scenarios where you would build a base with a component factory that doesn't have a silo, filter or conveyor connected to its output? It seems necessary since the components would always need to be passed on to make a block or another component. Just testing it now, though the factory calls for resources even if its output is blocked, once the output is cleared, the component is still made, and the player doesn't lose the resources.

Deemedrol

Oct 12, 2016
It seems necessary since the components would always need to be passed on to make a block or another component.
Not unless you want to create a buffer. In my case, I was trying to build a single-tile silo next to each of 24 component factories so I would always have 10(+1) components and could produce blocks easily.
Not to mention that this bug simply clogs every system. Silo after the factory got full? System is clogged. Conveyor tile after the factory is full? System is clogged. Filter cannot pass the chunk? Guess what, system is clogged.

D3matt

Apr 28, 2017
I'm with Deemedrol on this one. Problem is I'm not sure the best way to solve it. Having the component factory request only one set of resources at a time would potentially make it very slow. Perhaps allow factories (in general) to be able to internally buffer one entire component's worth of resources? This at least would address the scenario in the OP where it's consumed the rubber but can't consume the accompanying fibron.

bedbathandbrett

Apr 13, 2017
Are there many scenarios where you would build a base with a component factory that doesn't have a silo, filter or conveyor connected to its output? It seems necessary since the components would always need to be passed on to make a block or another component. Just testing it now, though the factory calls for resources even if its output is blocked, once the output is cleared, the component is still made, and the player doesn't lose the resources.
This is definitely an issue, it messes up a ton of base designs. For example, I can't imagine any way to automatically stockpile any amount of components without this issue getting fixed first.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Okay guys, I've logged this for the code guys to take a look at, but I'm pretty sure most of these problems could be resolved by putting a silo or other block next to the factory output to pass along the components. Especially those of you that want to stockpile, since that's what the silos are for ;)

Deemedrol

Oct 12, 2016
I'm pretty sure most of these problems could be resolved by putting a silo or other block next to the factory output to pass along the components. Especially those of you that want to stockpile, since that's what the silos are for
I think you missed the part where I say "Component Factory + Silo combo is what creates the problem, since silos get overfilled, factory's red pad gets occupied and it starts ordering infinite resources". If factories pushed their resources directly onto (free) conveyors, their red pads wouldn't get occupied and we wouldn't even notice the problem.

Reactions: bedbathandbrett

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Yeah, component factories still do this in 0.7.5. As @Deemedrol says, making it virtually impossible to have a (continuously replenishing) buffered source of components, ready for rapid manufacturing of any part. Will continuously send resources it can't accept down the conveyor, a major problem for shared lines.

I'm presuming you devs are working on fixing up the function and reliability of factories/fabricators, ready for a push towards players making more stuff. (I've not looks at the unstable branches yet.) It's a same that I've found them too buggy, unpredictable and even inconsistent, to use, so far - got some love for the crafty Mike scene. :)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Ah, just to point out the work-around (I may have only just realised, for some reason): if the input conveyor doesn't continue past the Component Factory's input port, it won't re-order resources (I think). Because it still sees the existing ones headed to it.:)

So, a fastest possible universal crafting setup should already be possible... (Somewhat as attempted above, with all components pre-stocked, ready to go, near the fabricators.)

Reactions: bedbathandbrett

DroidFreak

May 30, 2018
Trying to do a setup like that (node silos building up a buffer of components, that is) appears to be even worse in 0.8.1 since what's happening for me is that the component factory still produces components even though there's nowhere for the output to go - it simply drops the components on the ground, endlessly eating my resources and making a pile of components. Is that happening for everyone else or is it just my install that's bugged?

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
the component factory still produces components even though there's nowhere for the output to go - it simply drops the components on the ground, endlessly eating my resources and making a pile of components.
Yeah, it's not that the Node Silo is full, though. Not quite (9 out of 10). It's that in trying to send chunks direct to the highest storage location in it's stack it puts too much strain on the crafting tractor beam and drops them.

This only happens in the one crafting cycle (tick) after a new chunk is made from a Scrapper, Refinery, Component Factory, though. See this report: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/0-7-6-resources-dropping-off-the-silos.12254/