0.3.0 FPS slows terribly

Nate

Aug 18, 2014
I have a fairly good PC, even on a less demanding graphic setting, the game starts getting terrible FPS. Controls for everything start becoming poor. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to be because of maxed out CPU or graphics card.

I'm not even sure I can point to one thing causing it.

Rhynri

Nov 10, 2014
Seems to me like it's failing to cull any old parts from the game, and eventually I imagine their update loop (or equivalent) is getting overloaded by having to go through such massive arrays of parts each frame. My computer is taking a nap, but the game is running at 1-4fps after I blow half the map up.

Nate

Aug 18, 2014
0.3.2 is much better as far as maintaining the framerate. However, it still slows down drastically after an hour or two of play.

reldred

Nov 9, 2014
Similar story here, about an hours worth of gameplay leaves the game unplayable, but hey! 0.3.2 brought that up to about an hour from 15minutes. If the next update can bring it up to 2hours then they'll be at the limit of my attention span anyway ;-)

Phoenix84

Dec 3, 2014
I just got the game yesterday (0.3.3).
I barely get 30 minutes before it slows to a crawl.
Is it related to parts floating around? I've destroyed a few enemies, but have more parts than I want.

I started out with the highest settings, but lowered them in case it was a GPU issue. It wasn't.

Zio_Matrix

Dec 2, 2014
I wanna say it's related to just the amount of things loaded at a time.

My game runs just fine until Tier 2 guardians pop up.
Case and point: I defeated the GeoCorp wheel guardian, and the guardians for the GeoCorp tractor pad popped up in the distance. As soon as they showed up with their 'thousand block armor,' my game slowed to a crawl.

Vhargon

Nov 11, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
I wanna say it's related to just the amount of things loaded at a time.

My game runs just fine until Tier 2 guardians pop up.
Case and point: I defeated the GeoCorp wheel guardian, and the guardians for the GeoCorp tractor pad popped up in the distance. As soon as they showed up with their 'thousand block armor,' my game slowed to a crawl.
The GeoCorp Tractopus is still doing that? Hm.

PS: Let's make 'Tractopus' it's proper name. I think I got most of the devs calling it that now.

Reactions: Penmail

Zio_Matrix

Dec 2, 2014
The Tractopus is one of many things that can cause it, though i'm definitely sure it's related to the amount of things loaded around you at a time.

Even when the Tractopus is about, I find that if I drive East enough (Think of the emeralds next to your base as being East of base) the game starts running fine again.

Nanobytez

Dec 7, 2014
I can definitely confirm that the Tractopus is just going nuts. Especially two.. :( Here's to hoping these aren't armed to the teeth. http://imgur.com/SAEmeFw

Also turning down graphic settings does nothing for this. xD I've got a fairly great PC and yay 4 fps.

Zio_Matrix

Dec 2, 2014
I wouldn't say they're armed to the teeth, so much as they're armed poorly.

Iirc, all/most of the weapons are attached to the front and back geo-corp tractor pads. Break those, and the Tractopi become sooo much easier to deal with.

Sai Wun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
For people who've been getting low frame rates after playing for 30 minutes or so, can you try grabbing the latest version - 0.3.5 and see how you get on with that? And post any feedback you have here please. Cheers.

g_ij_s

Dec 13, 2014
For people who've been getting low frame rates after playing for 30 minutes or so, can you try grabbing the latest version - 0.3.5 and see how you get on with that? And post any feedback you have here please. Cheers.
0.3.5 Does not fix the problem for me. The game seems to remember every little block, guardian or attack in the game.

It works perfectly when i 'manage' the amount of attackers in the game. After every kill i try to shoot all the remaining blocks. This seems to somewhat work. Just driving away to a place with less attackers is the best option.

It does not matter what resolution or graphics setting the game is at. The frame rate drops to 3~5 FPS. It does not matter how many blocks are on my own 'car'.

Sai Wun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
Thanks for the info. It does seem as if it's the guardians that are the cause of the slowdown. Hopefully, we can find the cause soon and implement a fix for the next update.

g_ij_s

Dec 13, 2014
Thanks for the info. It does seem as if it's the guardians that are the cause of the slowdown. Hopefully, we can find the cause soon and implement a fix for the next update.
Maybe it is also interesting to know that the CPU usages never goes beyond 30% (Intel CoreI7 3630QM Chipset C216).

Sai Wun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
We'll be moving to unity 5 in the new year with multi-threaded physics and that will be a very noticeable improvement.

Reactions: Florian